Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Florida to Georgia

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Skyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Florida to Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Florida to Georgia   Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Yesterday was my first ride up the interstate from our home in Florida to my daughter's home in Georgia. My daughter was just promoted to Major in the Air Force and asked if we could be there for her selection party.
My wife is a school teacher and had just finished the year so she took the car so she could stay awhile. I took the Swing so I could come back when I needed to. The ride up was a no brainer, twist and go. It took us five hours on the nose to get to her home. I made two quick stops for gas and found my fuel mileage was just under 52 mpg. I was happy to see that as I was traveling between 70 and 80 the whole way. The only negative thing was the heat. It was 103 there and from the high 90's along the way. That's the only time I have had my shirt soaked riding 70 and above. The Swing makes a great traveling machine far more capable than I thought. Smile
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Florida to Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida to Georgia   Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Skyman wrote:
The only negative thing was the heat. It was 103 there and from the high 90's along the way. That's the only time I have had my shirt soaked riding 70 and above.

I have LDComfort ( http://www.ldcomfort.com ) shirts and pants (both long and short) and for riding in high heat. I wear the helmet liner 100% of the time.

Please watch the videos below ... I found them very helpful:
1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn8NocCkbJw
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z625hCKQDkc

Even in high heat and high humidity, I was very comfortable. I found I was more comfortable with long sleeves and long pants than the shorter version.

On long runs, I will add water while filling gas and fill a gallon jug that I bring then I can add additional water as needed in between gas stops.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Florida to Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida to Georgia   Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks Bill! Once again a font of information here! I just rode to Cathedral City, CA and back to Fort Bliss last weekend. I rode in Tourmaster armored mesh pants and CorTech armored mesh jacket with cotton shorts and t-shirt underneath and I could easily see I needed something better soon. You like the longer version over the short? What makes the difference for you?

Nice ride, Skyman! And congrats to your daughter! Field grade is a big jump indeed.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Florida to Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida to Georgia   Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Somerled wrote:
You like the longer version over the short? What makes the difference for you?

If I am going to ride all day, I would absolutely wear the LDComfort long shirt and long pants ... simply because I will be more comfortable especially in high humidity. I was riding to St Louis, Mo over two days on the first day i wore the long gear through high humidity and rain. I never felt the humidity and the rain was quickly wicked away from my skin, I was comfortable the whole time. On the second day I wore the short gear, I was more comfortable where the LDComfort was covering me ... while riding you could easily feel the heat and humidity on the uncovered area and the longer I rode the more I felt it.

When I used the long pants with water for evaporative cooling, I fond it could quickly over cool my legs Laughing ... so I would simple adjust by pulling my legs back behind the fairing to reduce the evaporative cooling.

If I am going to do some riding and other non-riding activities, I will use the short version (or just the shirt).

I have even used the gear for outside yard work ... what a difference!
Back to top Go down
Skyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Florida to Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida to Georgia   Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Bill, Thanks for the information I will be checking them out. Riding in the high heat can be a pain in more ways than one. I do love riding my scoot and don't really like to be hampered by weather. Now I do draw the line with snow and ice. I have ridden in the snow before when I was young but it was not much fun. Now that I live in the south I like to ride every day.
Tom thanks for the kind words. We are very proud of her and her decision to serve her country.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Florida to Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida to Georgia   Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks Bill. I see your point and how that would make a difference on that ride of yours. I ride to Tempe, AZ as often as possible to see my girlfriend (staff duty this weekend Sad ) and now and then to Cathedral City to see a very dear friend - all of which is, of course, desert dry heat so I think I will start off with the shorts and t-shirt and go for the longer outfit later.

You're welcome, Skyman, I wish her well. If you don't mind my asking, what is her area of expertise?
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Florida to Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida to Georgia   Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:05 pm

SomeRLed... great avatar... I really love our military ... yall are a special bunch of folks. Thank you so much.

Skyman... hug your daughter for me, if she still lets her dad do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Florida to Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida to Georgia   Florida to Georgia I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Florida to Georgia
Page 1 of 1