Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi screen too high

Go down 
+4
"Hi Yo"
Waspie
MikeO
Old Limey
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Givi screen too high Empty
PostSubject: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 6:30 am

Anyone any advice on how to remove the top 2" off the givi screen. Iam 5'11. and just fitted the Givi screen, problem is I can't see over it, went for a ride with it on and although i don't like looking through a screen i thought i might get used to it. However the heavens opened and it really rained on me, I could not see a thing because of the damned screen and had to stop several times to clear the screen enough to see through. If I can't reduce the hight i'll put the original screen back as It's not safe as it is Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 7:11 am

A quote from a respected fettler on the X9 forum:

They are easy to cut with a jigsaw (electric). Use a very fine blade, but not too fine or it 'melts' rather than cuts and the cut heals up again behind the blade. A coarse steel cutter, or a fret cut blade work well. Go steady and cut from the outside of the curvature.
Tape a wide area several layers deep over the area so the saw shoe has a well protected area to run over. Mark your cut line with a black marker onto the tape then cut smoothly with the screen well supported so it doesn't flap up and down as you cut. Two blocks of wood either side of the cut and keep the screen positioned so the blocks are below the saw, keep moving the screen as you cut, do it in short sections due to any curvature.
Go over the edge afterwards with some coarse sandpaper round a block, then finish off with emery to give a neat chamfered edge. Any slight adjacent scratches can be polished out with metal polish.

I think the keys are to prepare thoroughly, take it steady and don't have the saw on full-speed.

There are several other methods but this seems to be very satisfactory.

PS I think Waspie has some devious method using nylon string. Wink
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 7:24 am

MikeO wrote:
A quote from a respected fettler on the X9 forum:

They are easy to cut with a jigsaw (electric). Use a very fine blade, but not too fine or it 'melts' rather than cuts and the cut heals up again behind the blade. A coarse steel cutter, or a fret cut blade work well. Go steady and cut from the outside of the curvature.
Tape a wide area several layers deep over the area so the saw shoe has a well protected area to run over. Mark your cut line with a black marker onto the tape then cut smoothly with the screen well supported so it doesn't flap up and down as you cut. Two blocks of wood either side of the cut and keep the screen positioned so the blocks are below the saw, keep moving the screen as you cut, do it in short sections due to any curvature.
Go over the edge afterwards with some coarse sandpaper round a block, then finish off with emery to give a neat chamfered edge. Any slight adjacent scratches can be polished out with metal polish.

I think the keys are to prepare thoroughly, take it steady and don't have the saw on full-speed.

There are several other methods but this seems to be very satisfactory.

PS I think Waspie has some devious method using nylon string. Wink

Yup, indeed.

It's a method I was taught when cutting visors on aircrew helmets whilst in the navy!!

You need; thin nylon chord and a candle.

Coat the nylon chord with wax from the candle.

Mark the line to be cut.

Place the nylon around your fingers like you were flossing your teeth, keeping slight pressure on the chord, use a sawing motion to slice through the perspex. The cut is so fine and rarely needs filing to smooth the edges.

A word of caution though, like all things, practice makes perfect, I wouldn't just dive straight in on an expensive screen. And keep the nylon waxed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks for the advice, iam abit anxious about cutting at all. I'll have a
big thunk about whats been advised before i do anything. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Givi screen too high 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 2:40 pm

I had the problem of my eyesight line was at the top edge of the aftermarket (Givi) screen, I bought a gel seat pad and now the line of sight is above the screen. I think your idea of thinking about what works best for you is best. Too often people see something on another bike and that's what they want without considering if it fits their needs and lifestyle. Just my 2c's woth. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 3:18 pm

I fitted a Biondi screen to a 400 Burgman that was too high, I'm 5' 11" and had the same problems as you're having now with the Givi DT. If I'd bought a jig saw, I'd have probably made a right cock of cutting the screen, so I made a cardboard template of my Airhawk Medium Cruiser seat and cut out pieces of 1" thick camping mat to put inside the Airhawk cover, to raise me up higher.

I used 2 and sometimes 3 layers inside the cover and it worked pretty well, I occasionally had to stick my head out into the wind to clear raindrops of my visor in heavy rain. and I had no problems putting my feet down either.

That's why I opted for the Givi Airflow when replacing the stock screen, it's 2" shorter than the DT version you have.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 7:47 am

Old Limey wrote:
Anyone any advice on how to remove the top 2" off the givi screen. Iam 5'11. and just fitted the Givi screen, problem is I can't see over it, went for a ride with it on and although i don't like looking through a screen i thought i might get used to it. However the heavens opened and it really rained on me, I could not see a thing because of the damned screen and had to stop several times to clear the screen enough to see through. If I can't reduce the hight i'll put the original screen back as It's not safe as it is Sad Sad

This link shows one way to do it (similar to what others have already described here): https://www.silverwing600.com/t1938-how-to-cut-down-the-givi
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi "Limey",
Just wanted to throw my 2 pennies worth in here for another variable. I've had the tall Givi screen on my SWing now for nearly three years. My only deficiency came one damp morning when I tried to ride through some sparse fog. Had to stop and clear it off of course. Made my mind up that I'd turn around and head home if it didn't get better; luckily it cleared off. In an absolute "pinch", I can stretch myself up far enough to view the road over the screen (even being 5' - 8" tall). But I bought the screen just so I "could" look through it.
As for riding in the rain, I've never had any problems looking thru the screen. Maybe this is because I always clean it with "Plexus", which tends to let the rain roll right off much like 'Rainex" on auto windows. This was tested during an all day rain event on a Patriot Guard mission in eastern Kansas, i.e., 300 mile round trip in heavy (and I emphasize heavy) thunderstorms for more than half that mission. My point is, I was gladly looking thru the screen with (comparatively) no vision problems and avoiding the added wet blast. That worked great for me.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Don't be afraid to cut the screen to size.

I cut my GIVI twice to get the height right. On my little scooters (first a Chinese machine, now a Vespa) I made my own screen twice. Acrylic is nice because it does not scratch easily (most motorcycle screens are acrylic), but Lexan/polycarbonate is much stronger.

Each time I have cut using a battery powered (18 volt) jigsaw with a metal cutting blade (26 teeth per inch - 22-24 teeth may also work well). Cut as quick as the blade with let you without forcing the cut.

Protect the surface of the screen by taping painter's tape over the top 3-4 inches. Draw your cutting line on the tape. To get your shape, tape cardboard to your existing screen and trace the top edge. Then reposition the cardboard and draw your line. If you happen to have a scribe it would make the job a breeze.

Finish the edge with a sanding block - coarse first, then finer.

Even after cutting the top, I ended up using a Laminar Lip. It really helps to push the air over your head. Also, for the summer, I use the stock screen with the LL so I get some breeze on my arms. (But then, we get 90 degree days here!)
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 7:03 am

Well!, after my big thunk and reading your advice. I decided to bite the bullet and cut the screen. I found i still had my original small screen off my Deauville, so something to practice on re: Waspies advice. I do have a jigsaw, but like Meldrew, i would probably end up minus a couple of Fingers. Looking in my assortment of cutting tools i saw a cutting disk calleed a Du-All disc. I bought this some years ago off a shopping channel,I remember cutting tiles and bricks with it .I tried it on the Deauville screen and it cut it no problem.After marking out as Buddy19520 suggested, i could not face taking the screen off again so i cut it in situ. It worked great and i now have a 2" smaller screen. Not tried it out on the road yet, but i will if it stops raining, thanks again for everyones input. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 7:22 am

As that bloke in the 'A-Team' used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together !" Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 7:33 am

Old Limey wrote:
Well!, after my big thunk and reading your advice. I decided to bite the bullet and cut the screen. I found i still had my original small screen off my Deauville, so something to practice on re: Waspies advice. I do have a jigsaw, but like Meldrew, i would probably end up minus a couple of Fingers. Looking in my assortment of cutting tools i saw a cutting disk calleed a Du-All disc. I bought this some years ago off a shopping channel,I remember cutting tiles and bricks with it .I tried it on the Deauville screen and it cut it no problem.After marking out as Buddy19520 suggested, i could not face taking the screen off again so i cut it in situ. It worked great and i now have a 2" smaller screen. Not tried it out on the road yet, but i will if it stops raining, thanks again for everyones input. Smile

Great Stuff. It's like all things, that initial start!! Well done.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi screen too high   Givi screen too high I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi screen too high
Page 1 of 1