Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stop lights and Magnets

Go down 
+5
tonylumps
MikeO
jdeereanton
DaveR
wingmann
9 posters
AuthorMessage
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Stop lights and Magnets Empty
PostSubject: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Has anyone ever tryed putting magnets on the bottom of there Silverwing to help trip the stop lights from red to green when you are stopped on top of the grid in the road at the stop lights. Someone told me that this would work and I would like to know if this will work before I buy any magnets and if it works how big should the magnets be.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 pm

You can purchase these at most M/C dealers. I have one on my 2005 don't know if it helps or not. Some of the states are passing laws that will allow m/c 's to "stop & go" because they just do not have what it takes to trip the light.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska Sad
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 am

the following quoate is taken from a thread elsewhere on this site regarding a law in Kansas: https://www.silverwing600.com/t2736-kansas-passes-bill-allowing-motorcycles-to-run-red-lights

trouble1100 wrote:
roadrunner wrote:
That said, anyone have any experience with an electrnoic gadget called a "green light trigger?"

Motorcycle Consumer News rated its effectiveness to be fairly equivalent with "wishing really, really hard" for the light to change.

Much more at the link, but I really enjoyed trouble1100's quote.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Avoid steel bridges - they'll ruin your fuel consumption!
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 4:49 am

I had a 1 pound Magnet mounted center frame of my V STAR and 2 6 OZ. mounted on the floor boards Did not work for me. When I would stop over a Manhole cover I did not have to use my brakes to stop me from rolling.
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:55 am

I'm an electrician and know how red light sensors work. They're big metal detectors. Magnets are metal and will set off a metal detector, but not any more so than the rest of your scoot. More metal is the answer.

A lot of newer red lights use photographic or infrared sensors and the problem is greatly reduced with these type of sensors. You can tell by looking on the pole above the light and see the little camera looking thing pointing at you.

The old style lights have wires in the street and you can tell by seeing the lines where they cut the street to install them. These are the ones that are harder to trigger. There is usually a circle (or square, LOL) with a line down the center. Try to get right in the center of it all. Positioning is the greatest key. Some of them though just wont work no matter what you do.

Hope that's helpful.
Good Luck
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:23 pm

smorkle wrote:
There is usually a circle (or square, LOL) with a line down the center. Try to get right in the center of it all. Positioning is the greatest key.

If possible I try to position the SWing diagonal to the trip line and stop with the center stand over the trip line ... then I will manually rock the SWing forward so that the center stand clears the trip wire then reverse the direction. I find this subtle movement helps to trigger the light AND if done enough times help to switch the light quicker.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:40 am

I put magnets on top of my helmet close to the aluminum foil. I still hear those voices.

Uh........no its the speakers inside the helmet. HAHAHAHAHA Smile Shocked
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 6:49 am

Wingmann... you are aware that your state allows motorcycles/scooters to run red lights that do not change because of the problem of the weight this thread is discussing.

Look here:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110223154149AAfvI63
Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 1:18 am

Yes I am aware of the law but the way the law states is proceed through the intersection after a reasonable amount of time . Well how much is a reasonable amount of time. I think the police would think a reasonable amount of time is longer then I think it is. When I am on my way to work every day I do not have time to wate that long . So it would be nice to make it work when I pull up to the light every time.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Stop lights and Magnets   Stop lights and Magnets I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 7:35 am

Yes, I agree, it would be NICE. But, it is nice to know that you can proceed on red if necessary. I live in a rural town with no traffic light, unless you count a flashing red at our only 4 way stop in town.

Btw... I googled the phrase "on my way to work every day"... one of the suggestions was "Every Day, on My Way to Work, Somebody Tries to Kill Me". If that is true for you too, I suggest you stay home more. Laughing Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down

Stop lights and Magnets
Page 1 of 1