Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Its getting a little old

Go down 
+8
Waspie
Skippy
redeye
dspevack
MikeO
Opalsboy
GWPSI
compguy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-10-11

Its getting a little old Empty
PostSubject: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 6:08 am

Yesterday I got hit twice with this. Early in the morning while eating breakfast at a Waffle House this guy comes in and says "is that your little scooter?" I answered yes but really it's a pretty big scooter. Then I get the usual "gets up to around 45 huh?" A look of disbelief as I tell him it will hit 100 easy. Then the next question comes up which I really think is silly. "You don't take it on the Interstate Hwy do you?" As always my answer is "Why not?". Then the dumb look. Later on during the ride home I decided to stop for gas and it took 2 gallons to fill up. A guy watching me says "I thought those only held about 1 gallon". Totally shocked to find out it takes 4 gallons.

Back in Iowa very few scooters are seen but here in Florida it's pretty common. I don't understand why we have to keep telling people the same thing over and over.

As a side note I seen a sign one day on the start of the Interstate that gave several vehicles that are not allowed and one was "motor scooters". I can just see a cop running me down at better than 70 mph to tell me that my scooter is too slow.

Keith
Back to top Go down
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 am

I agree the name "scooter" is unfortunate. The step through puts us in a class where we don't belong. I just call mine a bike.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:12 am

I call mine "Honey" or sometimes "Sweety"... she just smiles and takes me for a ride....
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 am

Looking at your avatar..I've never heard a fork-lift truck called 'Honey' or 'Sweety'! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:30 am

I was referring to my "Scooter"... not Dans old flame....
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 am

Keith... I have learn to watch faces when people ask questions like the ones you mentioned. I bet we have all heard them or ones similar. I get a kick out of seeing face of disbelief when you give them the details of "How Fast?", "How Far?" "Interstate?","Your wife rides TOO?" and all the others.

One of my favorite experiences was on my wife and my trip to colorado... (about 2000 miles RT). We passed a car in excess of 75 MPH. Later on at a gas/rest stop the car pulled in and the man got out and walked over to us and shook his head and told me that he thought his speedometer was off when I passed him. He didn't believe a "scooter" would go that fast and with two people on it was even more unbelievable. Made my day.

I have had many many windows go down at street lights and have those questions asked... then they hesitate when the lights goes green just to watch as I accelerate away from them... I love that ...
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 am

Opalsboy wrote:

One of my favorite experiences was on my wife...
This is true of most people.
How is she handling your relationship with your avatar?
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:09 am

For me, the strange looks and equally strange questions are part of the pleasure of riding maxi-scooters. Once in a while, I'll hear a disparaging comment about scooters (it's not a motorcycle, it's a toy, etc.). But most of the time people seem truly incredulous, which often results in some great and sometimes hilarious conversations. They have a hard time processing the thought that a "scooter" often has equal, and in many cases greater, performance compared to motorcycles on the road. Most of them, at least those with open minds, go on their way a little better informed than they were. Guess it will be that way for a long time.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:11 am

My favorite is when the motorcycle riders pull up next to me and start asking questions about the bike.

I always end my reply with, "Why, are you looking to upgrade?"
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 am

Met an old friend in town today whom I hadn't seen for ages, infact the last time I saw her she was riding a Yamaha Radian, or rather she wasn't riding it as it had broken down. Any we chatted briefly and caught up on all the news etc. She looked tanned and told us that she and her chap had just returned from a break to Cuba!!!!!

The converstion wondered around, she noted my prosthetic and asked if I was still riding. Affermative I replied, telling her I still had my old 650 Wing and now had the Scoot as well. She went on to tell me she had got herself an anniversary 883 Harley as a personel treat. She was politely derisery about the Scoot until I pointed out that it would top a ton ten, at which point she nodded and admited ruefully 'My Harley wont do that'....
(only off a cliff was my thought.......... Twisted Evil ) I didn't mention it though!
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 am

I understand about 80% of all Harleys built are still on the road....

The rest actually made it to their destinations.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 am

Depending who asks and how my answer differs.

Usually I agree and admit my 'scooter' or 'moped' is like a glorified sewing machine on steroids. Now at this point they change attitude and profess to know more than they admit on the Wings abilities.

On other occasions I will inform them that I overtook them a while ago on the particular road, "but I was doing 90+mph" they say, I just smile!!!! Let them work it out.

On the whole I get a lot of positive comments as most of the local riders see me riding in all weathers most days. That gains a lot of respect here in the UK. I have even had big wheelers sticking up for me, comments like, at least he rides and doesn't just talk, or, still waiting for the sun to come out? A comment directed at the dry weather, day VMC rice rocket riders.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 am

Was telling a friend of mine about the bike and referred to it as a scooter. He asked me about the engine size and speed. I told him it was a 600cc parallel twin rated at about 50hp and that it would go in excess of 100 mph. His response was "That's no scooter-that's a motorcycle..."

I guess we call them scooters because that's how the manufacturer classifies them, but I think his statement is correct.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 am

I read an article once that said the Silver Wing was a motor cycle that looked like a scooter.

The same article said the Burgman, (650), was a scooter trying to be a motorcycle.

I love it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:54 am

The relative novelty of our maxi-scooters can get treacherous from time to time. A few months ago, not long before purchasing my Silver Wing, I was on my way home on my Yamaha Morphous. Traveling north on Route 97 towards Baltimore at over 70 MPH after crossing the Bay Bridge, the driver of a car in the lane to my right was intently looking over my ride, apparently amazed at a "scooter" maintaining over 70 MPH on a busy three-lane highway. To make matters worse for him, I was rapidly closing the distance to pass another car in the lane to my right. Fortunately, the driver next to me suddenly realized that he was about to rear-end the other car. Everyone got away unscathed, but that was far from certain for a few seconds.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 pm

If my Swing is parked next to a row of gleaming HD's, I'm the one who gets the comments and questions from non-bikers. And every one of those comments and questions is positive.
My favourite from the HD owners is "how much is the insurance on that"?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Riding a scooter even a big one is a Rodney Dangerfield experience, you just "ain't gonna get no respect." I have shocked more than one HD sporty rider at stoplights by leaving them in the dust. It's a real upset for a 'real biker' that gets scootered. Of course I also get some guff from HD types about my Goldwing 1800. About the only HD than could hang with the big wing would be a V-rod. HD people apparently have bought the whole 'life style' deal instead of a serious motor bike. It would help a bit if Honda would have put a 600 on the side of the bike along with its name. I do like the look of most Harleys, they remind me of my young days in the 50s. Still look pretty much the same and run about the same.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:58 pm

My party trick is to let the Ducatis and Hd's etc get in front of me. then I hang on like shit to a blanket. Every time they look in the mirror, you know whats there? yup my swing. hehehehehe annoys them more than if you burn them off.

No way officer, me keeping up with a Duce on my lil ol scooter, your hairdrier must be faulty! Better catch that duce, hey!

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 12:06 am

Heh, heh,..... "Get scootered". I like it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Its getting a little old   Its getting a little old I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Its getting a little old
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: