Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Shakey silverwing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Shakey silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Shakey silverwing   Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi all had the forks done now a strange one the scoot wobbles like mad if I take both hands of below 30mph I only done this because I used to take my hands of on motorbikes to see how they were balanced the scoot handles fine just wondering if any one else has ever done this and had the same effect
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

Shakey silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shakey silverwing   Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 pm

I think the shimmy is "normal" you can hear nearly everywhere about this. But you can try to change the tire (brands), play a little bit with the tire press, take higher weight on the steering bar ends and possibly is the headset bearing worn...

I have less shimmy if i raise the tire press to 2,2bar on the front and 2,5bar in the rear (sorry, i forgott Wink 32psi / 36psi) and i will change the tires from hoop to Feelfree Wintec at the end of summer and hope this will fix the shimmy
Back to top Go down
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Shakey silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shakey silverwing   Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Cheers for that didn't know they all did that to some extent my back tyre has only half mm to wear limit so might renew as a pair at end of month this site is so useful cheers all
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

Shakey silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shakey silverwing   Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Do all this? I don't know but i hear/read very often this...
And normaly there is no 100% solution for this. It could be (and seems to be in this case) a little problem in the construction, it can be a problem of tire, tire press, imbalance of the tire, the bearing, weights of steering bar, it can be caused by aerodynamic (including topcase!) and many others.
All that you can do: Testing/Trying or ignore it Wink
But if your tires are worn it also properly can be that it will be fixed after replacement
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Shakey silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shakey silverwing   Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm

I had the same thing on my 02...I found out that the rear tire was worn when I went to a dealer to get it checked out. Put a new tire on and handlebar shake went away. Hope that helps, J.R.
Back to top Go down

Shakey silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shakey silverwing   Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 7:14 pm

iv'e had this wobble thing on a few bikes / scooters after fitting hard luggage.simple solution is don't take both hands off the handlebars.then it's never a problem.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Shakey silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shakey silverwing   Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 7:41 pm

I have never experienced the wobble you describe. When I first started out with the 'Wing' I did suffer a very fine vibration through the handle bars.

Either it was me settling into a different ride ar the bike settling into me!!! Another theory I have regards my own circumstance is that I also use a tyre sealant which I reckon may have assisted in the dampening out of the vibration.

I am wondering if that may aid curing your 'wobble'!!!! Idea
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Shakey silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shakey silverwing   Shakey silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 am

Lesley,

To an extent I've got to agree with 'Phantom', don't let go and the issue wont arise Smile But if the 'vibration' is/has become more intrusive, to the extent that it is an issue when riding then its most important to find the cause - vibration = damage!

'Black Fly' is right, look at all those areas, but having said that don't expect to 'cure' the problem. Some machines are sensitive to certain things i.e. my 650 hates BT45 tyres, the profile is all wrong and makes the bike feel like its falling into corners all the time and it also 'squirms' over white lines and overbanding. Yet if I use 'Cougar' tyres with a harder compound then its great; just the way things are!
Back to top Go down

Shakey silverwing
Page 1 of 1