Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

switch power source recommendation needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

switch power source recommendation needed Empty
PostSubject: switch power source recommendation needed   switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 11:48 am

Can someone recommend a good switched power source located towards the front of the scooter?
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: switch power source recommendation needed   switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Before most will answer they need to know what for.
Most add-ons need to get pwoer from the battery. (own circuit and fuse)
The wiring on ALL scoots and M/C is just big enough for OEM equipment.

I agree you can use a switched power source to run a relay or two. but not AUX. lights and such.

MaxB
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: switch power source recommendation needed   switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 5:45 pm

I'd run a fused hot wire from the battery up to the front area (behing the headlamp) to a 12V auto relay. Then splice into the hot wire of the low beam head light wire harness to trigger the relay coil when ever the ignition is on. That way you'll have a dedicated circuit for aux lights, etc.

Here is a link to a Radio Shack 12V/40amp relay, but you are sure to find similar relays at your local auto supplies store (Pepboys, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc).

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3020762
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

PostSubject: Re: switch power source recommendation needed   switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Ok.

I do have a postive lead with a fuse and negative lead running directly from the battery. I thought about using the power from the low beam for the switched power. Not sure is there is another possible location? I plan to use the FuzeBlock which has a relay.

I plan to run some led ights an a garmin gps.

Also, I believe the lights dim when starting, so, not sure if this is good or not for the switched powered devices.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: switch power source recommendation needed   switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2010 9:09 pm

I don't think that using the light circuit for the switching function of the relay would have any more negative effect on the devices than the effect that the OEM circuit has on the lights now.

The lights cut out when you trigger the start switch and come back on immediately when you release the switch. Same thing is going to happen to the LEDs when you run them thru a relayed circuit --with the same (non)consequences.

As far as the GPS is concerned; don't most GPS' have internal batteries that would kick in when an aux power source drops out? Even if there is no internal battery a momentary loss of power to that device shouldn't be a problem.

Tim

ehaughn wrote:
Ok.

I do have a postive lead with a fuse and negative lead running directly from the battery. I thought about using the power from the low beam for the switched power. Not sure is there is another possible location? I plan to use the FuzeBlock which has a relay.

I plan to run some led ights an a garmin gps.

Also, I believe the lights dim when starting, so, not sure if this is good or not for the switched powered devices.
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

PostSubject: Re: switch power source recommendation needed   switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I bought a used pair of motolights. I will be mounting them on the front fender mount.

I will post pics when available.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: switch power source recommendation needed   switch power source recommendation needed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

switch power source recommendation needed
Page 1 of 1