Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) Empty
PostSubject: Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)   Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi All,

Done allot of work on the trusty Silverwing over the last 2 years and most of the time I needed to remove the windshield off the bike. This weekend I accidentally pushed 2 of the old mounting well nuts through and they were gone. Next time I take the bike apart I'll look for them. Honda Parts is closed till Tuesday and I needed to get my scooter back on the road....So I went to the local hardware store. But before I went I did my home work, First the Well nuts Honda uses are #C-550 and are a 5mm x .8 thread and low and behold...That's the same thread as a standard #10-32 thread. Honda wants $3.65 for each well nut...I got them at the hardware store for .88 cents each and works like a champ and bought a couple more then I needed, just in case.

The new well nut dimensions:

Overall Lenth: .550"
Barrel Diam. .370"
Thread: #10-32
Lip Diam: .50"
Lip Thickness: .05"

This is just for your information and will save you time and money. sunny

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)   Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 4:22 pm

DennisB wrote:

This is just for your information and will save you time and money. sunny

And it's much appreciated. I will stock up with a few of these as well for when the inevitable happens.
Thanks Dennis.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)   Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 4:38 pm

Dennis, which of these is most similar to the original C-550?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/25-10-32-Rubber-Well-Nuts-3-8-Hole-/400144371645?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2a768fbd#ht_2742wt_907

or

http://cgi.ebay.ca/25-Rubber-Well-Nuts-M5-8-554-Length-3-8-Hole-/400140001413?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2a33e085#ht_2851wt_907
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)   Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 5:25 pm

Hey bigbird,

Looks like ether one would work for ya. Or this source:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Well-Nut-6AJU8?Pid=search
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)   Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks Dennis.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)   Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 6:56 pm

The highway robbers at Home Depot wanted $2.29 for one #10-32 well nut. That's not much better than Honda and a far cry from eBay and specialty hardware suppliers.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)   Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 7:25 pm

Got mine from a local company called Sutherlans Home Emprovement in Bixby, OK. They were marked for .88 cents each, on the bin, and then they give me a 10% discount for being a Army veteran, so I got them for .80 cents each. Good deals are out there and it's best to go looking with knowledge in your pocket. sunny Very cool they do that.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)   Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm

I had one of the mounting nuts fall into the Swing recently, and found that it had travelled to the lowest part of the bodywork - just under/behind the radiator. There is enough flex in the bodywork to pry it apart with your fingers and allow the nut to drop to the ground.
Back to top Go down

Windshield threaded grommets (Well nuts)
Page 1 of 1