Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dragon--Deals Gap

Go down 
+4
Peach
Opalsboy
jdeereanton
john grinsel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 10:29 am

After reading in magazines for years about how great The Dragon is---I went yesterday. 260 mile round trip from where I live.

I just wanted to ride it and I hoped it would be something exciting or difficult, but there where the Harley people in their Halloween Custumes/loud pipes, etc.---they can get together and talk about how they were really flying (at 25 mph) and touched parts on pavement, after the ride. Many trailered in.

Silverwing fine----very little braking required on downhill----I really like the kind of mountain riding where you fly to the corner, brake upright hard and go on to the next...Think Stelvio and hundreds of other places in Europe.

Saw one other scooter, Kymco. Sunday not good day to go, too many people and idiots who could easily cross into you lane. Doubt if this is place the rear car tire people go on their scooters as you do have to lean.

So not much of a challenge or thrill----might be on over 50 year old Vespa 3 speed with shot suspension, etc. or worn out step thru Honda cub.

One other thing I learned in early, cool morning ride up---at least 10 times I went thru extreme tempurature changes----both sides of windshield totally fogged up. As I look over I could continue to see. How do the look-thru crowd handle this? Could be fatal.

Road is Hwy 129 TN/NC

Last: came on GoldWing in front of me struggling with the turns @ 25mph. The usual fat guy, Tulsa Shield. tennis shoes, drink holder, wired for sound and pulling trailer with big moma on behind. So skakey I felt sorry for him. They don't like to yield to scooter. What is MSF turning out?

Think this would be ok ride for SilverWing on cool weekday.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:13 am

This is actually a topic about a ride (or a story) and so probably best fits in the "Rides and Stories" area, not the Tips on Using This Site topic.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:44 am

John Good report. I think I have been behind that same usual fat guy... oh, wait a minute... that IS me.... it is the unusual fat guy I get behind... I want to make the Tail of The Dragon run some day too.

So many rides and so little time...
Back to top Go down
Peach
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 am

We "slayed the dragon" over the weekend. Mr. Peach enjoyed it more than I did, but it was something to mark off the "bucket list". I probably won't do it again. The scenery was "meh" and other idiots just couldn't stand the school-zone-limit. I don't know how many times we got passed on double-yellow.

If you're in the area, find the "Cherohala Skyway". It is an amazing ride, with few hair-pin turns (you ARE climbing mountains, after all!) but enough curves to keep you on your toes. Lots of places to pull over and admire the view or use the "pretty decent" facilities. For me, it was the perfect ride, and the ride to it is great too. We'll be heading there on a regular basis.

As far as the Dragon, I'll leave it to the truckers, the tourists in minivans, the Harley Skull-blazers, and the squids on their shiny sports bikes. See you on the Skyway!!
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 am

The Dragon is pretty crowded w/all types of rides and riders on any weekend day that isn't pouring rain.

By the way, many pictures and stories abound from darksiders riding the Dragon with no issues.

Glad you got to ride it, it's a lot of fun, sorry you encountered the usual bad-apple riders out there polluting the roadways.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 am

Peach wrote:
As far as the Dragon, I'll leave it to the truckers, the tourists in minivans, the Harley Skull-blazers, and the squids on their shiny sports bikes. See you on the Skyway!!

I have read that some people prefer the Skyway to the Dragon before.

I have also read that it can make a huge difference when you riding the Dragon .... for example middle of the week and early morning hours.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:28 am

I've never ridden it on the weekend, but have a couple of runs during the week.  Not much traffic those few times I've been.  Ridden it early in am (7-8 am) and near lunch time..

I like the Cherohala, be sure to take the side trip to Bald River Falls, and I think I'd ride it before Deals Gap.  We recently rode "The Devils Triangle" over by Oak Ridge, TN - much more fun than Deals Gap.  Lasted longer and not so intense.  Similar speeds, but just very relaxing.

The "Hell Bender" (North end of NC-28) was not such a great ride, plenty of hype, little thrill, decent scenery.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 1:04 pm

Dale, where exactly is the "Devil's Triangle? I'm only a few hours from Oak Ridge area. I did the Dragon, Cherohala, and Deal's Gap back in July on a Saturday, and it was busy, but no problems. Lot's of Harleys, but more sport's bikes (BMW's must have been having a convention). If you hear one of the screamers coming up behind you, you better pull over and let them by. I didn't see any other scooters except the Reflex that was riding with our group, but when I looked at the photos from the Dragon that day, there were several Silverwings and other scooters among the photos. I liked the Cherohala part of the ride the best. We also rode from Tellico Plains down to Helen, Ga. and that's a decent ride too.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 1:29 pm

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/DevilsTriangle/DevilsTriangle.html

http://www.devilstriangletn.com/

This is really a pretty good challenge if you choose to ride it quickly. Kim and I took our time, didn't see anyone else, and had a great time.

The ride from Tellico to the GA border is really a nice road. Helen is a fun little town and the area has so many roads to explore.

I enjoy the area I live in, and am so glad I live close to the GA, NC, TN locale. It may be hot right now, but when the weather is right and the bike is rolling this area is amazing.

There is a road that heads north away from the Ocoee River (TN-30?) Ride is called the Greasy Creek Trail - Such a beauty. Nice lazy hills, plenty of them and lots of back to back "s-curves", not spin twisting, but just gentle curls going end to end for miles.
Back to top Go down

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 1:36 pm

We have returned to normal! 2nd day in a row where we are below 90 and low humidity. Finally! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Dale is exactly right on. If your going to ride deal's gap and you want to "Enjoy the curves" (Whatever that might be for you), then don't go on a weekend. It is far too crowded. I did it once and won't again. On the other hand a weekend is good for someone who simply wants to enjoy the ride at a laid back leisurely pace and nothing more. I've been there about some 20 times or so since I live fairly close so I've had a chance to see it on different days and seasons. Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays are probably best on average riding relatively early or late afternoon. Winter is risky for obvious reasons due to unpredicatable weather. Spring is a good time to go when it is still cool in the mornings. Fall is bad as their are lots touring while summer can be a mixed bag depending on the given happenings or tours (car & bike) coming through on a given day. The thing about the gap is that it is not a higher speed type of ride but it is a technical ride that tests your ability to hit your marks and flick your bike around if you are riding somewhat aggressively. Your focus has to be sharp and your decisions quick as the changes come up in a hurry. One can have a blast and pretty much never really get over 55 MPH and that is really only on the straights. If you watch the bikes that really run there, it is usually some of the lighter supermotos that tear it up out there because they are so flickable and turn on a dime. The crotch rockets have to take a back seat to them at least on this particular road. Personally I enjoy these type of curves more than the larger sweepers when I'm in the mood to put the bike through its paces but that is just my personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dragon--Deals Gap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon--Deals Gap   Dragon--Deals Gap I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragon--Deals Gap
Page 1 of 1