Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just installed a new Corbin seat

Go down 
+3
DennisB
dspevack
GaryL
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Just installed a new Corbin seat Empty
PostSubject: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 12:39 pm

Well, I've had my SWing for a month now, and found that the stock seat was not getting it done for me. I RIDE my bike as do most of you, and if I can't be confortable, it kind of puts a damper on the experience. After reading many posts on this forum on the subject of seats, I elected to buy a Corbin seat. They are expensive, but if it makes all day rides workable, then it is well worth it to me.

DennisB, I read about your difficulties installing so I was a bit leery. However, it went pretty much without a hitch. It bolted up OK. The only struggle was fitting the new lifting strut in place on the bike side. I donated a little skin to the cause, and finally got it in place and secured. The seat will latch, but you have to persuade it with a good smack on the back of the seat. I'll have to see if it gets easier over time. The strut does lift the seat as soon as you release the latch, something that the stock strut did not do in the OEM seat. I forgot to look to see if I had access to the screws that need to be remove to open up the spark plug access panel.

I wish I could tell you how it feels, but as I was cleaning up my mess, it started raining. (Imagine that... rain in the desert). If we didn't need the rain so bad I would probably be really ticked off. As it is, I'll wait for it to clear up this afternoon and then give it a go. I'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 12:51 pm

Gary,
If you have not already done so, I suggest you replace the interior light with the one shown on this site that has the switch on it.

Failure to properly close the seat will leave that interior light on and kill the battery, and Corbin's are notorious for needing just the right touch to close properly. You will get the hang of it, but all it takes is one day when you are too tired to notice you didn't do it.

The switch is usually under $30 shipped and essentially a drop in replacement, where as batteries are around 3x that.

Dan
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 12:57 pm

Dan,

I pulled the bulb for now, having read about all of the dead batteries caused by this. The new light is on my list.

Thanks for the reminder! Just installed a new Corbin seat Fresse
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 1:17 pm

Gary,

If I didn't have the Corbin seat to park my fanny on I would have sold the scooter, fast. The Corbin saddle makes the Silverwing rideable for me even thou it was a pain to install.

I'm glad you like yours...I love mine. It would not be the same bike without it.
Back to top Go down
hot shoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hot shoe

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Gary, You should have received a note with the instructions regarding latching the saddle fully. It explains why & how to corrct the failure to latch by inserting a flat washer or two between the latch & saddle to extend the latch slightly . I have never had a problem latching the saddle with this method in three years. In fact I simply just give the rear of the saddle a hard PUSH and can actually hear the latch engage. Removing the bulb & buying another light is totally unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:50 pm

" I forgot to look to see if I had access to the screws that need to be remove to open up the spark plug access panel. "

To get to the screws for the spark plug cover you will need to unhook the strut so the seat will open up further. Then you can access the screws.

Wendell
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Update on the new seat.

Hot Shoe... I did not see any paper on that subject in amongst all of the other papers that came with it. However, I had seen several posts to that effect so was aware of that possibility. I just wanted to see if it would work the way it came out of the box. However, I did install a shim today. I also found out that the center latch works in conjunction with the rear latch, and one will not engage without the other one. Once I figured that out, I now put a hand on the center of the seat, as well as the rear, and with the addition of the shim it will latch reliably and without undue effort. I also notice that the lifting strut is so strong that it wants to push the seat crooked (to the left of the bike), so I must center the seat as I close it.

Between a short 80 mile ride yesterday afternoon after the rain, and a 325 mile ride today I have to say that it has really made a difference. I agree with all those who say that the seat is hard (almost feels like sitting on a metal folding chair), but I have to admit that it seems to work. I also have the backrest installed, set so that it is just in contact with my back without really leaning into it, and the seat and backrest together has transformed it for me. I hear from others that it will get better as the seat breaks in and adjusts itself to my seating position. It can only get better! Just installed a new Corbin seat Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
hot shoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hot shoe

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 8:59 pm

"It can only get better! Just installed a new Corbin seat Icon_smile" That is very true. I've had Corbins on two entirely different bikes and the support one gets is what makes the difference plus the feeling that one seems to sit in the bike rather than perched on top of it. I believe you will notice it more & more as you ride Just installed a new Corbin seat Icon_lol .
As for break-in, I think the rider receives the break-in not the Corbin saddle Just installed a new Corbin seat Suspect I have never felt that a Corbin was hard;maybe because I use a hard mattress on the bed. In any case the firmness contributes a great deal to one's comfort on long rides.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 4:38 pm

+1 for Corbin. Since I installed mine a couple of months ago, I have been very pleased. The longest I have ridden at one time with it is 2 hours - and my bum was still ok. With the stock seat, after about 45 -60 minutes, I'd have to stop and rest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Okay, I did a Google search using Corbin seats and Corgin seats for Honda SilverWing and I can not seem to find what you are talking about. Can someone give me a direct link to a site that describes the seat for the SilverWing?

Last edited by midlandchip on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 pm

http://www.corbin.com/honda/hsw.shtml
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just installed a new Corbin seat   Just installed a new Corbin seat I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just installed a new Corbin seat
Page 1 of 1