Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New member from Europe

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alex_at
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alex_at

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2024-03-22

New member from Europe Empty
PostSubject: New member from Europe   New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 3:52 pm

Hello,

I'm Alex from Austria, 34 years old.

10 years ago I started my two wheeled adventure on a 2012 Piaggio X10 125cc. Toured everywhere on that fantastic scooter. Unfortunately after 14k miles the engine blew up. I guess I was winding it out too much - and the engine was stressed, 125cc in a maxi scooter.

Then I had a few motorcycles over the years, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Ducati Supersport 939S, Peugeot Metropolis 400 3wheeler, Honda SH125 (2020 model).

My last scooter was a 2020 Honda SH125, everybody loves the SH, it's known to be the best around town scoot out there. But I had my gripes with it. Granted, I started my 2 wheeled career with a maxi scoot, so I was used to good size and storage from the beginning. The SH hat not enough storage for me - I couldn't really put my small business bag anywhere. Even tough I had the original top case.

Then I had an accident with the SH, in traffic I accelerated, swerved to the left, overtook a car, swerved to the right and as I jus swerved back into my lane after overtaking I experienced death wobble. Luckily I wasn't fast, maybe 15 to 20 miles per hour, I landed on the side. 1 broken rib and some concussions later I rode again. But I kind of lost confidence in the SH, it's a nimble scooter but also unstable, even tough it's rather big wheels are always mentioned as super stable.

Sold the SH last year, handlebars weren't really straight anymore, other than that just a little road rash.

After a lot, a lot of searching, browsing the local market I test rode different machines.

I tried a BMW C650GT, a 2014 model with 27000 miles. Nice bike, nice performance, nice build quality, but also I read a lot about reliability issues.

Suzuki Burgman 650 - test rode a 2004 with 20k, a 2003 with 70k and a 2006 with 75k miles. Liked them, but the CVT is infamous for issues. Then on the other hand the 2006 made it to 75k miles on the first cvt. Really liked them and almost bought the lowest mileage one for 3250$.

But then!
I found a 2005 (at least registered in 2005) Silverweing 600 with ABS. Silverwing 600s are rare by itself, but then to find one with ABS is like winning the lottery. The SilverWing had 28.000 miles (28k), one owner, always garaged, never ridden in the rain. It looks like new, even the black plastic is like new.

Quick test ride, rides good, brakes good, fine!
Signed the contract for 2275 US$.

Picked the scooter up about 130 miles from home, went on the highway and stopped at the first gas station for gas. Checked the oil - and found it to be low on oil. filled up about half a quart of 10W50 Liqui Moly (PAO Based) oil. Checked the underside and found the underside full of oil. Oil filter was not the issue. cylinder head dry. It was very visible that the oil had been on the engine underside for a long time.

So filled up and stopped at every rest area along the highway to check the oil. Always fine, didn't use a drop. I guess it lost oil for a long time thtough the stator wires I guess. Maybe some oil during top up was spilled. I'll never know.

Rest of the journey went fine, rode the scooter home on the highway doing 85-105 mph. Silverwing rides great, very stable.

It's at home now for over a week and I've been enjoying it since!

One thing I do notice: Never have I been visiting the gas station that often, not with my Boulevard C50 nor with my Ducati.

Friends thought I had joust bought a brand new scooter from the showroom.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New member from Europe   New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 4:41 pm

Hi alex_at from the UK, welcome to the forum.

Make friends with the search bar for all things Silverwing and a bit more besides.
Or just start a fresh post if you have any questions.
Sounds like you get yourself a bargain. They can be a tad thirsty. and there's no cure for the cheezy
grin while riding one!

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
alex_at
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alex_at

PostSubject: Re: New member from Europe   New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 4:53 pm

thanks JohnyC!
Back to top Go down
alex_at
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alex_at

PostSubject: Re: New member from Europe   New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 1:34 pm

Did my first city only driving today, filled her up again and calculated the mpg. Shouldn't have done that ;-)

I like to drive calmly most of the time, I keep her between 3500 to 4500 rpm mostly, but I also like to shoot up to 45mph.

Calculated fuel economy: 29.85 us mpg - still less than my car, but not by much New member from Europe 1f605
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New member from Europe   New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

It's a big heavy bike Alex, if you're doing a lot of stop - start city riding with brisk acceleration mpg is going to suffer.
Get for a longer run out in the countryside and you'll most likely be doing 55mpg (uk).
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: New member from Europe   New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

" Checked the oil - and found it to be low on oil." Tip, see step #5

1. Place your scooter on its center stand on a
firm, level surface.
2. If the engine is cold, idle the engine for 3
to 5 minutes.
3. Turn the ignition switch OFF, stop the
engine and wait 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Remove the oil fill cap/dipstick and wipe it
clean.
5. Insert the oil fill cap/dipstick until it seats,
but don’t screw it in.
Check that the oil level is between the
upper and lower-level marks in the oil fill
cap/dipstick.
6. Securely install the oil fill cap/dipstick

"I guess it lost oil for a long time thtough the stator wires I guess."
Very common leak point, it really depends on the amount of oil loss if it's worth fixing, as to remove cover (not so easy) and reseal area, no gasket used, just Honda sealant, other option is to let sit for a while (days) on side-stand, clean wires, area, etc. with degreaser/alcohol, etc., let dry well, seal externally with some black high temp sealant and let dry 8hrs. minimum.

Back to top Go down
alex_at
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alex_at

PostSubject: Re: New member from Europe   New member from Europe I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

thanks zrx212!

did the oil check that way.

Checked under the engine today: Everything dry! Oil level still spot on. Good news!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member from Europe   New member from Europe I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member from Europe
Page 1 of 1