Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
Bikeking19
JohnyC
Loosemarbles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bikeking19
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2024-02-28

What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? Empty
PostSubject: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 12:21 am

Hey everyone, I've had my 2006 wing for about a year now and really love it. I'm planning on taking it across the country in record time, literally. I set this record on my Honda Blackbird 1100 in 2022, in the fall of 2023 it was beaten by 17 minutes which I cannot allow for obvious reasons. I think it is doable on the silverwing, but I'm more familiar with motorcycles than I am scooters and want to know what would be the best setup mechanically, taking into account windshield, belt, clutch, variator, springs, power commander etc. What would make the biggest difference? Currently, mechanically I haven't done much to it, just went with a Malossi belt, 28g dr. pulley sliding rollers, and a Givi touring windshield. I do have the shorter stock windshield, I haven't tested it out yet but I'm wondering if that might be a better option for speed, although I'd sacrifice comfort. Not that there is anything particularly comfortable about riding a bike for 24+ hours straight. Open to all legitimate suggestions and advice, I have a 15-gallon fuel cell installed over the passenger seat with a separate fuel pump and fuel gauge for it that is tapped into the gas cap giving me 19.2 total gallons to minimize the fuel stops.
Back to top Go down
https://www.bikeking19.com
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 9:03 am

You are not going to like my answer. If you were going for a coast-to-coast ride for as fast as possible, the SilverWing is probably not the bike to do it on. This is a bike where are the peak speed is going to be around 110 mph no matter what you do to it in the top end. Clearly, I am not condoning riding that fast anywhere, but since you asked, that is typically the peak speed of the Silverwing. It appears that you have already done as much drivetrain work as is likely possible so I think you have reached the limits of what this bike can do.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 12:14 pm

The only thing you haven't done is fix a small rocket engine to the exhaust muffler. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 12:27 pm

Hi Bikeking19

You stated "28g dr. pulley sliding rollers," sort of a  contradiction.
If they are Dr.Pulley rollers (round in shape)change them for Dr.Pulley sliders to gain a small amount of top speed, as they are designed to do that, the rollers just roll with no extra gain.
It's all explained on Dr.Pulleys web site.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Bikeking19
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 1:16 pm

JohnyC wrote:
Hi Bikeking19

You stated "28g dr. pulley sliding rollers," sort of a  contradiction.
If they are Dr.Pulley rollers (round in shape)change them for Dr.Pulley sliders to gain a small amount of top speed, as they are designed to do that, the rollers just roll with no extra gain.
It's all explained on Dr.Pulleys web site.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!

Yep typo lol. Sliders obviously much better and installed 😁, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Bikeking19
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 3:12 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
You are not going to like my answer. If you were going for a coast-to-coast ride for as fast as possible, the SilverWing is probably not the bike to do it on. This is a bike where are the peak speed is going to be around 110 mph no matter what you do to it in the top end. Clearly, I am not condoning riding that fast anywhere, but since you asked, that is typically the peak speed of the Silverwing. It appears that you have already done as much drivetrain work as is likely possible so I think you have reached the limits of what this bike can do.

Oh yes I wasn't trying to get this thing to do 150 or anything, I'm well aware. Moreso in lowering the rpms, and whatever else I can do to improve performance at top end.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2024 7:38 am

Loosemarbles wrote:

The only thing you haven't done is fix a small rocket engine to the exhaust muffler. thumbs up

I used to have both of Ron Ayres books about competing in the Iron Butt Rally, and preparing for long distance rides and endurance rallies.

I remember a Gold wing rider he mentioned that had fitted an extra fuel cell and all the usual long distance junk. Then ingeniously rigged up a funnel and length of plastic hose contraption to the Wing so he didn't have to waste valuable time between checkpoints stopping to take a leak.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2024 9:10 am

Just an opinion: Riding in an IBR sounds like no fun at all- it’s all about time, checkpoints, and just getting there- no time to see the scenery as you’re focused on how fast you’re getting to the next destination- the GW rider Meldrew specified sounds nuts-  not even time to get to a restroom- that sounds like a blood clot in the leg (and potentially lung) in the making if you rarely get off the bike. Best of luck to those who compete in these endeavors but I’ll never be one of them.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2024 11:29 am

Get a new motorcycle with warranty, or try Germany where you still can go really fast in some places.....or enjoy SilverWing as the scooter it is--fast/heavy/you suffer from buffeting as rider/no longer in production
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2024 7:32 pm

You are a crazy man Bikeking19.

Regarding lowering rpm, I'm not sure there is much that you can do with the Silverwing. The CVT represents a fight between the roller weights (trying to push the front variator into a larger diameter) and the rear variator (where the spring is trying to oppose that and make the rear a larger diameter).

A weaker rear spring and higher weights to the front would maximise the ratio (minimum revs at any given speed) but (and I'm no expert) I would have thought at a highway cruising speed that the front variator would in any case be "maxxed out" so adding more weight would not change much.

I would consider looking to see if there was a higher profile rear tyre that could help, but I suspect the 150/70 stock size is all that you can get.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 3:37 am

Regardless of what you do there is under 50bhp pushing a heavy bike, plus rider, plus the aerodynamics of a barn. To improve the top speed you'll need to increase the bhp which will need engine work.
Expensive and possibly pointless... but I would love to hear about it 🙂
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?   What mods would you for optimizing top end speed? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What mods would you for optimizing top end speed?
Page 1 of 1