Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake Empty
PostSubject: Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake   Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 11:05 am

Set out this morning to install new pads in the front brake of my newly acquired 2004 Silver Wing (non-ABS). Had new EBC pads, Brakleen and Syl-Glide at the ready.

Apparently the previous owner was a Tommy Toughguy type who never met a torque spec he liked. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen the caliper mounting bolts.

The pin pad holding up the brake pads, torque spec just 13 ft. lbs, was hopeless. I (stupidly) ended up stripping the hex bit top and now I can't get it out. The front had a pop on cap. The rear has a flat blade screwdriver cap that I can't budge either, and that's before I even reach the rear pin pad.

I'm thinking I can order new pins from a dealer at $6.42 each, or make sure they have them in stock for my service visit, and take the bike in. I don't want to muck it up too much because a new Nissin sub-assembly costs $499.

Pin pad is #18 in the diagram. Thanks for any info and insights.

Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake Honda_10
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake   Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 12:07 pm

Um… How about concentrating heat on that caliper area and then hammering a torx driver into that rounded out pin head? Sounds drastic, but if were mine, I’d judiciously use the flame point of a Bernzomatic (propane) torch.

Chances are that pin is stuck because of corrosion rather than Denny Dickfingers doing it. The caliper bolts —that’s probably because he used an impact wrench.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake   Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 2:51 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I’d judiciously use the flame point of a Bernzomatic (propane) torch.

Interesting. Never did that before but I've seen it mentioned many times for stuck bolts and screws. Seems doable and would beat schlepping to the dealer.

Looks like my first Bernzomatic purchase is in the near future. Luckily I have a decent amount of pad left so there is no urgency. Mostly I wanted to get in there to clean and lubricate. Long ago I recall a rider recounting how his front caliper locked up on the highway and threw him over the front of the bike with painful consequences. I have checked my front brakes out thoroughly on every bike since then.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake   Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 4:07 pm

UPDATE: Solved! This Swiss Army knife for Allen wrenches let me get a good bite and use serious leverage (basically, my whole body) to crack the bolt. An hour before, I put some WD40 in there to work its magic before I went for it -- once I got the wrench locked in, I worked it left and right gently to make sure there was no wiggle and maybe "prime" the bolt to move. Now I don't have to burn the neighborhood down with the Bernzomatic!

Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake Img_7711
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake   Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 9:11 pm

ATF and Acetone 50/50 mix makes an excellent " liquid wrench " be careful with its use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake   Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stuck hanger pin pad on front brake
Page 1 of 1