Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

givi top case caution

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
Loosemarbles
steve_h80
winged warrior
8 posters
AuthorMessage
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

givi top case caution Empty
PostSubject: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 2:37 am

Dear SW adventurers,

I just said goodbye to my second 52 Litre givi top case in 9 years - I have lost both to the same problem - something breaking down internally in the locking mechanism. As you may know there are a lot of working parts to make the handle pop, and case lock on etc... . I noticed on my last box a piece of small black plastic fell out of the lock area and then a few days later it refused to lock properly.

After my humpty dumpty inspection I discovered two small dislodged springs at the bottom of the assembly and the support for them had broken (guessing that was the small piece of plastic that came out.

Is there anyway I can prevent this for future givi top cases? My only guess is lubrication and being really careful when closing/opening. I read here someone had a top case for 15 years, I love givi top cases but am beginning to fear them and that is not good.

Kindly, happy fall riding y'all - watch for them wet leaves

Kevin
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 2:55 am

I suppose the lifespan of a top case isn't really years, it will be opening and closing cycles.
That said I usually reckon on a top case taking 5-8 years of abuse before something breaks inside for Givi or Kappa, cheapo unknown makes die in 2 or 3 years, my Honda case on the SW is as old as the bike - 16 years and still fine.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 3:27 am

I guess it's easy to abuse something like a top box without realising it. Damage can also occur if the top box is fastened too rigidly to the mounting. It should be allowed some freedom of movement to absorb road shock and vibration etc.

My top box has no identifying marks apart from '2012' moulded into the chrome bit at the rear. I've never heard of that brand but it was on the bike when I bought it 7 years ago and still works fine.

I mounted it on rubber 'door stops' and I oil the locking mechanism quite frequently. Maybe that's why it is lasting so long.

Just my ten bob's worth.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 5:50 am

Replacing broken, damaged, or missing parts from Givi top boxes and panniers like hinges, locks, bungs, etc. shouldn't be a problem because Givi sell a large range of spares and replacement parts for all their Givi/Kappa luggage.

They're pretty easy to source too, motorcycle dealers that sell Givi products usually have a large catalogue of spare parts they can order for a specific top box or panniers.

A quick look on eBay here showed numerous sellers of replacement lock, brackets, bungs etc for Givi.

Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 7:04 am

Thank you all for your perspectives, no I don't treat it abusively but I use it ALL the time, so it has gone through many cycles, I guess I just thought if you pay a lot for something it should last forever but that is not realistic I've come to realize.

I'm surprised my 2009 SW has lasted this long as I use it constantly and am grateful for its dependability.

concerning replacing buckle systems I'll seek that out next time, but yes I am intimidated by certain process/repair attempts.

Kevin
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 2:32 pm

"Damage can also occur if the top box is fastened too rigidly to the mounting. It should be allowed some freedom of movement to absorb road shock and vibration etc."

Yes at least some rubber well nuts at some point of installation. I don't run a top case on the Silverwing,  really no need for me, but did on my 300cc scooters, I learned looking at "Robots"/Vespa videos that you should install heavier or extra handlebar weights to dampen the vibrations, actually some Vespa oem accessory top cases come with a set of heavier weights, in any case I added 4oz on each side of old fashioned/actual "lead" wheel balancing weights inside handlebar in addition to stock steel ones, worked great to reduce handlebar and top case resonance and vibration, there's a long winded reason why it works, but it does.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2022 3:57 am

I rarely take mine off; perhaps I should look for signs of stress.
My E52 was good as new before I sold it - at least structurally. The silver plastic trim was showing signs of age.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2022 9:08 pm

Here's a photo of my Hepco-Becker top case that got that got knocked off by an 8-point buck many years ago from my FJR at about 25 MPH.  We both walked away, and I kept it on 2 wheels barely. Some damage to bike and my right knee was sore for a week.  givi top case caution Img_0310

Good case still use it nothing broken just a little road rashed.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2022 4:36 am

I see a bit of movement when I wiggle my Givi E55 on it's Monokey rear rack. When it's locked on fore and aft, the top box is sitting on four rubber bungs cushioning it from vibration.

It obviously works as I've had the E55 since late 2010 on the Silver Wing and now my Forza and it's as good as new.

IMHO a maxi scooter without a large top box limits it's capabilities. I found it very frustrating having to wait a few months until Givi developed and then manufactured the carrier rails to attach a Monokey rack when I bought my Forza 300 four years ago.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2022 8:42 am

My 1998 E-46 box, over 500,000 miles on various bikes/ scooters. I drilled bottom of box 6-8mm bolt, as security bolt---stops movement and my worry of box falling off with dog in it should be standard feature.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: givi top case caution   givi top case caution I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

givi top case caution
Page 1 of 1