Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello, From Rome, GA

Go down 
+6
model28a
JeffR
billc.
DennisB
tankyuong
jdeereanton
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Hello, From Rome, GA Empty
PostSubject: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 pm

I am looking to purchase a silverwing to commute to work. And for pleasure when time permits. I am female at 5'2" and as a new rider would like any advice to make it safer and more fun. I am also curious about preventive maintaince and service schedules. I would like to add my accessories at time of purchase (any advice on the most necessary items). I like the back rest, luggage carrier, and maybe a stereo. Can't wait for that first ride. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Shescoot
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Shescoot,

Welcome and I think you would be making a great choice (of course) to choose the Silverwing. You should sit on one first as you are just 5' 2" tall and the ability to flat foot the bike at a stop or at least be able to contain and control it while moving by padding around using your feet may be a challenge. It is a rather heavy bike.

Beyond that the preventive maintenance is rather simple and even a mechanically challenged person as I am can do most of the basic maint. tasks. It is an extremely reliable and simple machine with a great deal of beatifully complex engineering.

You are living pretty close to us. We belong to the Heart Of Georgia Super Scooters www.wildhogss.com - go to the forum. Good place to locate local rides and riders

Last edited by jdeereanton on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix a spelling error and correct a predicate agreement mistake.)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:29 pm

great college town welcome
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 am

Hi shescoot,

Welcome aboard. If you have any questions about the Silverwing...please ask. We have quite a few knowledgeable people here that can answer most of you questions and some great how-to pictorials and accessories.

Post some pictures of the new scooter when you get a chance.

Again....Welcome and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Hello shescoot, I read your post and you mentioned being a "new" rider. Did you mean "new to riding motorscooters" or new to "silverwings". If the answer is the first, I would strongly recommend you take a riding course like the Motorcycle Saftey Foundation (msf.org) beginner course. Passing this will also get you your Ga. Motorcycle drivers license requirements (you will need a Ga. Motorcycle license to legally commute on your bike and for insurance purposes should you finance your purchase). There are several nearby locations to take the MSF rider course, some of which offer a weekend course.
There are several Honda dealers near you, as well as craigslist and ebaymotors to view new and used Silverwings. I have a friend who bought a used Silverwing on ebay last year. He then took the MSF course, and since then, his wife took the course also. She wanted a Silverwing of her own, but she was shorter than you and was "new" to riding, so after sitting on a Silverwing, found a better fit for herself on a Burgman 400. Honda also made (and I think reintroduced this year) an Elite 250cc. If you could buy a good used one and "practice" on it for a while, then you could ride virtually anything...or get more motor and room in a Silverwing.
Anyhow, just a few thoughts, and good luck with your new venture!! spotsbill
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 11:13 pm

Shescoot,

The SWing is a great choice and will take you anywhere you want. If you haven't sat on one yet please do. Some riders that are your height either have the seat lowered an inch, by cutting some foam out, or by wearing thicker soled boots. There really isn't much to do to the SWing since it is really very trouble free. I have 29,300 miles on it now and it is still running like new, it is an '07.

Hopefully Coralee (driftwoodpoint) will read this and chime in. I believe she is about your height and did a couple of mods. But she is really liking it and takes some good rides on hers too. It is a great bike and very fun to ride. But if you think it is too tall you may want to try the Burgman 400 since it is shorter. Just be careful of the clutch problems they are having with some of them. You may also want to try www.burgmanusa.com to read up on them. They redesigned it in '07 and also had to redesign the clutch a couple of times. So read up on that if you chose that bike. I'm not saying anything bad at all about it but there are problems that don't seem to be totally corrected yet.

Good luck and keep us informed. But you will love the SWing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 am

shescoot
If you find it hard to reach the ground you could try something from hear.

http://www.itallershoes.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice!! I went today and tried sitting on it one more time and I feel comfortable enough that I ordered my helmet so that I can make my purchase on Sat. And by new rider I mean brand new. Wish me luck.

We are going to trade in a Yamaha Waverunner for it, but if someone is interested in one let me know before this Sat. It is the FX Cruiser high output, 4-stroke. 2004 model with only 71 hours. We kept it in the garage. Just had it serviced and it has a new battery. comes with trailer, matching cover and life vest 1-lg, 1-xl. and anchor. We just don't have time to enjoy it any more and the scooter is more pratical for us right now.

Once I learn to ride and can ride for pleasure I will definately look into some to these rides you guys do, sounds like fun.

Thanks again,
Shescoot
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm

shescoot wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice!! I went today and tried sitting on it one more time and I feel comfortable enough that I ordered my helmet so that I can make my purchase on Sat. And by new rider I mean brand new. Wish me luck.

Hopefully you have taken or have signed up for a Motorcycle Safety class as billc suggested above.

I took the Motorcycle Safety class right as soon as I ordered my SWing and took it before I picked up my SWing ... it was very helpful to start my training.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Yes, I am going to take the safety course. (For the safety of myself as well as those around me). I guess it did sound as if I planned to hop on and ride off into the sunset. Thanks for the advice, and keep your fingers crossed.

shescoot
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Shescoot, look on the MSF site for locations to take the rider course. The one I took was offered at the Honda Regional Headquarters at their test facility in Alpharetta, Ga. That is not too far from Rome, Ga. but there may be one closer...Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...billc.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:23 pm

shescoot wrote:
Yes, I am going to take the safety course. (For the safety of myself as well as those around me).

Excellent ... we all want you to be successful and happy with your SWing.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 pm

billc. wrote:
Shescoot, look on the MSF site for locations to take the rider course.

One of the key questions you can ask the different Motorcycle Safety course(s) is what they offer the MSF course on. Generally a small motorcycle BUT some offer a small scooter alternative.

The general consensus is not to use your own SWing. The SWing has a very long wheel base and could initially a big challenge for some of MSF maneuvers.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Excellent and best of wishes.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 am

Shescoot,

Congrats on your choice and I'm sure you will really enjoy it. When you get it post some pics in the "Album" section. You can create your own folder and post pics of your Swing and rides you go on. We would all like to see some. And please be active on the site. We like as many to be active and we really don't have many women on the site that are active. Congrats again.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello, From Rome, GA 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:07 am

+1 on the MSF course. Also you might be able to be reimbursed for the cost of the course, or part of it, if you belong to the Honda riders club. I'm not sure of the name of their club, or if the program is still available. I bought my scooter used, so the program was not available to me. Maybe someone else is aware of this and can give some guidance or maybe I'm wrong. It never hurts to ask. Good luck, welcome to the forum, and enjoy the ride. Hello, From Rome, GA 744535 Hello, From Rome, GA 744535
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 5:25 am

The Honda Riders Club http://hrca.honda.com/ I've been a member since 2003. It is now free to join and at that level offers little to no actual benefit. If you choose to upgrade to a paid membership there are some extras available to you. I'll be darned if I could find the info on the we page. I do know they used to offer a refund of a portion of the MSF course. Ask at a Honda dealership and I'm sure they can provide the details. New or used anyone can join either through the web site or at a dealership.

MSF is a good course to take. We also took the MSF experienced riders course on our SilverWings and recommend that to all as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 am

I got my Silver Wing on Saturday. I have been learning in the parking lot of a nearby school. I use the booklet that Honda provided to set up pratice scenerios and if my work schedule will allow I plan to take the safety course in two weeks. I will be glad when I don't feel so nervous and can take it out on the road to ride. I did better than I expected when I tried the weaving practice. The only issue I have with the safety course is that you have to learn on a motorcycle and not your scooter. They do allow scooters under 350cc. I don't understand, but if I learn on a motorcycle then I shoud definately be able to ride my scooter.

Thanks for all the support,
Shescoot
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Shescoot, Congratulations on your Silver Wing! I'm sure you will love it. In your first post, you mentioned some modifications. A stereo, back rest, and luggage box. I have all three and enjoy them very much. The backrest is a three brothers backrest and can be found on ebay. The top box is a Givi 46 with brake light assembly, and the stereo is an amplifier mounted under the seat and speakers mounted on the handlebar. I play my ipod or an am/fm radio that I velcro to the left side storage door. Let me know if you have any further questions. More pictures that detail the stereo are available by clicking on the link in my signature for my Silver Wing pictures.

Hello, From Rome, GA 006
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:25 pm

shescoot wrote:
The only issue I have with the safety course is that you have to learn on a motorcycle and not your scooter. They do allow scooters under 350cc. I don't understand, but if I learn on a motorcycle then I shoud definately be able to ride my scooter.

I took the motorcycle safety course on their motorcycle. I had ridden a motorcycle 27 years before for a whole total of 5 minutes Hello, From Rome, GA Icon_razz ... though I did ride a 50cc moped.

During the motorcycle safety course they kept stressing a bunch or points which are not pertinent to a scooter. The points that applied to only a motorcycle, I listened and tried ... but did not worry if I mastered the point.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Sheescoot, While the MSF course does have a few "motorcycle only" items, the course is primarily a saftey/knowledge/skill course for ANY 2 wheel motorized vehicle. It gives you good understanding of the basics of what makes scooters turn, stop, go, and accident avoidance and general riding saftey tips.

There is also a very excellent book you may want to read called " Proficient Motorcycling" which goes it to great detail on riding skills and technical aspects of riding which apply to scooters as well as motorcycles.

Good luck with you new SWing....billc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 3:37 am

I need to find a cover for my scooter and cannot figure out what type and size will be the best to use. I plan to add the luggage box to the back, any advice. I don't want to spend too much because I need to get 2 of them one to keep at home and one for work.

Thanks for any advice,
shescoot
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 10:54 am

Hello, From Rome, GA 383825 Hi ya Shescoot!! Congrats on the Silverwing. You'll enjoy years of trouble free service, and she'll always greet you with a "Where to, Shescoot?" It's a Honda!
I feel the need to be reeeaaal serious here for a bit. Your 500lb, long wheelbase,left hand rear brake Silverwing is sssooooo much different than a left hand clutch, rear foot brake, Honda Rebel, or similar MSF course bike. The fact that you are new to motorcycling and are mixing the two control systems raises a red flag. You will spend two days on the MSF bike learning how to do many things, the most important being how to stop....hard... and in control. This is your best defense in a less than favorable situation. After the course, you wont be braking with your right foot, and right hand, you'll be squeezing that left lever that you should already have two fingers on, resting, and waiting to brake. Please be extra dilligent after the course, and get to know your Silverwing again, before you head for any traffic. Wishing you the very best, Shescoot. Sincerely, Jeff.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi shescoot,

Here's a thread to a Nelson-Rigg cover, information, that works well and packs small so you can take it with you.

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/nelson-rigg-half-cover-my-first-look-t638.htm?highlight=cover

Large size works well with a large top box. Check around online for the best price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, From Rome, GA   Hello, From Rome, GA I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello, From Rome, GA
Page 1 of 1