Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brake Light Wiring Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Brake Light Wiring Question Empty
PostSubject: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 9:36 am

Greetings,

Need a little counseling, interpretation or direction with a brake light wiring situation. I have zero aptitude for wiring -- I have a friend who's good at it but he's out of town for at least two weeks.

The 2003 Silver Wing I recently bought on a Fly 'n Ride has a GIVI Maxia top case wired for brake lights by contact points. There is also a Mode flashing light strip on the top case. The brakes light up like it's the 4th of July and I love that.

However, the right side OEM brake bulb was burned out, and in reaching in to replace it through the handy side panel, I pulled loose the wire that runs up to the top case, which killed my top case light show. In the photo, I am holding the wire I pulled loose, with blue and black wires inside it.

Behind that is the back of the brake light socket. I have searched here enough to learn on this bike, green and white = brake light and green = ground. Beyond that, I have zero idea about the connectors in the photo, or what to do next.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I want my 4th of July light show back!

Thanks.Brake Light Wiring Question Img_7111
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 10:28 am

Those are Dorman connectors. They kinda peel apart. See below pic. Anyway, peel them apart and pry up the metal guillotine. Assure that the existing wire doesn't move and insert a loose wire in the channel parallel to the existing wire so that when the guillotine blade is pressed down (use pliers) it will secure both wires. Then fold the peel back over the connector body. Assume black is ground.

Brake Light Wiring Question 30b23d10

Sorry about the quality of the pic. Google Dorman wire connectors.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 12:57 pm

Et voila! Tim, you rock.

Thank you for the prompt and on the money information. My 4th of July light show is back and God bless America.

Seriously, as I'm planning a New York to Florida ride in September, I really wanted those brake lights behind me.

Less important, but if you have any ideas about a stuck trunk latch, I'd greatly appreciate them.

The latch can be pushed in toward the back of the channel, so it's at a right angle to the bottom. But it seems like it should open and create a clear channel so the locking bar on the seat can enter, then the latch closes over it?

The key moves the top spring but nothing happens with the locking mechanism. There is no movement on the bottom spring at all. Key and cable are functioning but nothing is happenng mechanically. I had the whole back end off the bike yesterday trying to figure this out.

Thank you for any ideas, information or suggestions.

P.S. sorry if my photos are sideways. That's always happened to me on this site and I don't know why.

Brake Light Wiring Question Img_7113
Brake Light Wiring Question Img_7112
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 2:30 pm

Are you referring to the seat latch(s)? If so then you might be able to access the rear latch mechanism by removing the rear panels and the “wing” along with the Givi trunk.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 2:45 pm

Yes, the rear latch where the U shapes hook on the seat fits. I can access it fine, just not sure how to get the locking mechanism unstuck and working again.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 3:03 pm

Try triggering the latch with a screwdriver or some type of an “L” shaped bar.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 3:07 pm

There is a rear seat latch assembly on eBay. Maybe the pictures of that might suggest something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164935815370
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 4:00 pm

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2022 5:26 pm

I regularly have trouble with my latches. Often the solution is to sit up on the seat and trigger an unlatched latch. Usually both will release after that. I think they get mechanically confused sometimes.
Back to top Go down
fat tony
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 9:20 am

You might to push down on the center of the seat to unlatch it completely, mine does it from time to time, sounds like an rxtra click after doing it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light Wiring Question   Brake Light Wiring Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake Light Wiring Question
Page 1 of 1