Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear disc brake caliper

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Retireddirtdoc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2022-08-02

Rear disc brake caliper Empty
PostSubject: Rear disc brake caliper   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 am

I'm a newbie and 69 yoa,  located in Coeur d'Alene ID and have been riding for 57 years. I bought a Silverwing new in 2002 and still own it. Life consumed me so I only put 3k miles on it in 20 years. I had a couple brain surgeries and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer any more. I changed out the tires, a novel in itself.
The problem is when I put the rear wheel back on the rear caliper will not bolt up.  I have a service manual, which I've spent hours in, I've had the wheel off and on mamy times trying to figure out my error.
Everything goes back together except the rear caliper and parking brake is 10mm away from the swingarm. The bolts will not reach them. What am I doing wrong?
I tried to post photos,  but couldn't figure it out. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear disc brake caliper   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 4:34 pm

Hello Doc. Welcome to the forum.

Kinda hard to help you without seeing a photo of the wheel, swingarm, and caliper. Unfortunately this forum format won't allow anyone to post a photo unless they have a minimum number of posts (4-5-6?). So hang around for a few more beers. Chat with us a bit and you'll get there.

Meanwhile you might use the Search function to see if your issue has come up before.

Just a thought: there are two spacers on the rear axle. The long one goes ON between the wheel & swingarm --the big end at the wheel and the small end fits into the swingarm inner bearing seal. And the small spacer goes into the swingarm outside bearing seal --then the washer, then the nut.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Rear disc brake caliper   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 5:05 pm

Have you got the calipers on the wrong side of the mounting brackets? Just a thought...
Back to top Go down
Retireddirtdoc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rear disc brake caliper   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hello Doc. Welcome to the forum.

Kinda hard to help you without seeing a photo of the wheel, swingarm, and caliper. Unfortunately this forum format won't allow anyone to post a photo unless they have a minimum number of posts (4-5-6?). So hang around for a few more beers. Chat with us a bit and you'll get there.

Meanwhile you might use the Search function to see if your issue has come up before.

Just a thought: there are two spacers on the rear axle. The long one goes ON between the wheel & swingarm --the big end at the wheel and the small end fits into the swingarm inner bearing seal. And the small spacer goes into the swingarm outside bearing seal --then the washer, then the nut.

When I pulled the wheel,  I layed all the parts on a piece of cardboard and labeled them. I put them back in order and discovered my issue.  I ordered a service manual, and ten days later studied it for hours. Nothing. The rotor needs to move to the right (curb side) 10mm for the caliper to bolt to the swing arm.  Is there a spacer on the left (street) side of the rear wheel that has disappeared?  That is the only way I can think for the wheel/rotor to move to the right 10mm.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear disc brake caliper   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 9:01 pm

There is no spacer between the wheel and the belt case / transmission. The wheel fits firmly against the transmission.

Does the (right side) swingarm fit onto the larger spacer, i.e. the one between the wheel and swingarm?

Does the wheel slide freely on the axle splines?

Is there something hitting the tire causing the wheel to not slide all the way onto the axle?

Does the swingarm fit properly against the swingarm pivot?

Test fit: Assuming the swingarm fits properly to the pivot, does the brake caliper fit the Silverwing rotor if that larger spacer is left OFF the axle?

This video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO3UTARbvwc
Back to top Go down
Retireddirtdoc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Rear Disc brKe.   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 1:41 pm

I got it!  The spacer behind the  axel nut was on the tire side of the swingarm. I put it on the nut side and VICTORY!

It gave me the 10mm I needed.

Thanks COS!
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear disc brake caliper   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 3:18 pm

HOO-RAY!!!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Rear disc brake caliper   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 4:22 pm

Glad you got it sorted. Something to remember for next time. I reckon all of us DIYers have learned the hard way. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear disc brake caliper   Rear disc brake caliper I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear disc brake caliper
Page 1 of 1