Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cannavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2022-07-01

coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine Empty
PostSubject: coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine   coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 9:00 pm

Just got a thristy 03', ripped on it home and double checked the oil (when I looked at the bike its seemed to be way overfilled)

Sure enough it was about a 1/4 inch above the top fill line.
Did the oil change
Did a full coolant flush and refill (engine ice)

I do have what feels like a shutter/lugging feeling at 40-55mph only why cruising, no shutter or lug feeling when accelerating through that speed. Is this just a normal feeling or should I be looking into a possibly known issue?

Also with filling the coolant I filled the rad/fill port and the reservoir to the middle. Today at work I noticed a stream of coolant coming from the SW that showed that it had been leaking gradually (prob as the day warmed up I am in AZ). I took it home and when I got home the fan kicked on (I go 25 mph in my neighborhood). When I stopped I had quite the mess of coolant. I took the plastics off to find out where the leak was coming from it came from the coolant over fill line.... That confused me as the res is still at the same mark as before and not full.... any tips?

If this is in the wrong spot I apologize rather new here

any help will be massively appreciated

Thx Cannavis
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine   coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2022 7:31 am

" I do have what feels like a shutter/lugging feeling at 40-55mph only why cruising, no shutter or lug feeling when accelerating through that speed. Is this just a normal feeling or should I be looking into a possibly known issue? "

The SW600 long cvt drive belt will cause harmonic vibration and sometimes belt slaps the cvt case aka "Belt Slap", mostly with higher mileage or aged belts, not a real concern issue, kinda nature of the beast, a fresh belt and rollers helps sometimes, but a full cvt service, including disassembly clean and lube of rear pulley is best.

Dr. Pulley 26gr sliders also helps overall performance. IMO the best fix is the Malossi white torque spring alone (harder to install, but similar effect to sliders, cheaper mod !!). You can do either or both (best), the spring has worked great for me with stock rollers.

They are all kind of remedies you will still feel a little belt shudder regardless, use the search function for all the mods and services, plenty of post on it.

Back to top Go down
Cannavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine   coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2022 10:54 pm

thanks @zrx212!

I did not opt to ride the SW today so she sat in the garage and when i got home i had a puddle of coolant (from the overflow) sitting on the floor... still rather confused on the coolant leak
Back to top Go down
Cannavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine   coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2022 7:49 pm

I think i might have installed the res hoses backwards as the overflow leaks when the bike is on and the reservoir is not full.

Any opinions?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine   coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2022 9:30 pm

The two hoses to the reservoir are the overflow (from the top) and the siphon hose (connecting to the bottom). If you swapped these the siphon hose will allow air to be sucked back into the radiator  and the overflow would empty the reservoir immediately; I would have thought that would be pretty obvious when you refilled the reservoir.

You may have a problem with the radiator cap not holding pressure; if that happens the coolant in the engine can boil at a lower temperature and the steam released can burp coolant out of the reservoir. You did mention the fan coming on, which might indicate the engine running hotter than usual?

When I changed coolant on my Swing, I had a devil of a time getting air out of the system. I followed the manual, and still had to run the engine with the cap off for quite a while before the level stabilsed. I have never had a similar issue on any of my many water-cooled Honda motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
Cannavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine   coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 11:34 pm

I don't want to say you are incorrect on your first statement but I did have the hoses swapped and it only dripped a few mil per day (even with a 300 mile ride).

I swapped them and no leak now. It does have the fan kick on when idling or riding slowly (I live in AZ).

after swapping the hoses no more leaks and no high temps

When I did the flush I kept the cap off and did extensive revs till the coolant was no longer being sucked down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine   coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

coolant leak? and shutter/lugging of engine
Page 1 of 1