Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Damn & Blast Again!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Damn & Blast Again! Empty
PostSubject: Damn & Blast Again!   Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 9:16 am

Last Saturday was my annual College reunion; it takes place in the old part of the now-no-longer-College of Education but is now an academy school.
The college/academy is close to a town in Oxfordshire called Abingdon, roughly 250 miles from where I now live.
My journey down followed a now familiar pattern to me, the first break being at  Wetherby Services on the A1(M). (Travel most of the way on Day 1, do the last few miles to destination and back on Day 2, do the return journey on Day 3)
Traffic was queuing to get in. I rolled up the slip-road to the roundabout over the motorway, stopped to look right to make sure the road was clear and got hit by the car behind.
It's one of those places where one has to stop because the angle of the roads means one has to look over one's shoulder. I was doing so and so was the driver of the car in anticipation of moving ahead.
It wasn't a hard bash - I barely moved forwards - but damage was done.
Fortunately, the car's bumper hit the end of the heat shield on the exhaust.
It's become displaced and a couple of lugs have broken off but it seemed still firmly attached.
The driver of the car was very contrite and after I'd suggested he was a twit and should be more careful - he was of a certain age and probably was careful - I remounted, told him I couldn't be bothered and rode off into the services.
No doubt it'll cost me a bit to have it fixed but dealing with insurance companies is such a chore.
I had in mind, too, that many years ago I rear-ended a Ford Fiesta in almost identical circumstances and wrote it off.

The rest of the journey was uneventful. Traffic was very heavy and at a standstill in places. I calculated that I filtered for between10 and 15 miles in batches of a few miles, The folding wind-mirrors on the Forza make it quite slim and mean one is not worrying about hitting anything with them.

There was a fair amount of rain on the following two days but the roads were less busy.
It was good to see so many old contemporaries from my time in college from 1968 to 71 so it was worth going.
I rode a total of 559.6 miles and I haven't the faintest idea of fuel consumption.Wink
(Slightly edited for typing errors and to add a little)

Last edited by MikeO on Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
artvarck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
artvarck

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Damn & Blast Again!   Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 9:39 am

MikeO wrote:
I rolled up the slip-road to the roundabout over the motorway, stopped to look right to make sure the road was clear and got hit by the car behind.

I'm glad you weren't injured, and that the outcome was largely anticlimactic! Yes, the driver was a twit, and as you pointed out, we've all been twits at some point.
And goodness, that was a long ride!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Damn & Blast Again!   Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 3:49 pm

This morning I rode up to Newcastle Motorcycles from where I bought my Forza to see what was what with the heat-shield.
Paul my man, was outside, seeing off his latest sale - a Fireblade or some-such (very Red, White & Blue) - so I waited until he'd finished and walked over.
The upshot was that he relocated the dislocated shield with the necessary combination of skill and brute force.
I need to do a bit of work to get rid of the scuff marks but all is remarkably well.
I stayed chatting for half-an-hour or so so that was good, too.
I know dealerships tend to be expensive but I do feel looked-after. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damn & Blast Again!   Damn & Blast Again! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Damn & Blast Again!
Page 1 of 1