Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2006 SW won't start, just clicks

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
okcseoul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-09-09

2006 SW won't start, just clicks Empty
PostSubject: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 6:23 am

I have ridden this same 2006 SW for fifteen (15) years. I am puzzled because it doesn't start. I just hear one click from under the seat area when I push the electric starter button.

Yes, I pull the rear brake and hear both clicks. I even hear all the sounds that are heard in the process of starting the bike. But when I push the starter button, it just sounds one click from under the seat area.

I'm in Seoul and my daughters are coming next Wednesday from Boston. Maybe I could get them to buy anything that I might need (Solenoid?).

Any advise or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 7:35 am

Your symptoms are classic signs of a weak battery that has enough power for small jobs like operating the starter solenoid but does not have enough power for big jobs like turning the starter motor. If battery is fairly new try charging it. If not, replace it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 7:39 am

Hello Bill. The under seat “click” you hear is most probably the starter solenoid. So that seems to be working.

Have you checked the battery? Check voltage —if the voltage is below 12.3V it needs charging; check battery terminal connections; check ground connections to the frame —a weak ground connection can be troublesome. There is a ground connection behind the left side rear panel above the ECM.

Not that it’s easily accessible but the starter motor brushes may be binding and not contacting the starter armature. While I’ve never tried it on a Silverwing, I’ve whacked a couple of car starters with the wood handle of a sturdy hammer and that has managed to free up the binding brushes.

Good luck. Please let us know how you sort this out.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 12:10 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hello Bill. The under seat “click” you hear is most probably the starter solenoid. So that seems to be working.

Have you checked the battery? Check voltage —if the voltage is below 12.3V it needs charging; check battery terminal connections; check ground connections to the frame —a weak ground connection can be troublesome. There is a ground connection behind the left side rear panel above the ECM.

Not that it’s easily accessible but the starter motor brushes may be binding and not contacting the starter armature. While I’ve never tried it on a Silverwing, I’ve whacked a couple of car starters with the wood handle of a sturdy hammer and that has managed to free up the binding brushes.

I second what Cosmic mentioned about the starter motor brushes binding. I had the same issue as you on my 400; Doesn't start up yet I hear all the pre-ride noises & clicks.

My advice (temporary fix) is to remove the left passenger seat peg so that the motor is accessible from underneath and use a t-shaped hex socket wrench to give the motor a few good taps before starting the SW up.

In the long run, you will have to replace the starter motor brush. (See pic below of my SW's crusty starter motor brush)

2006 SW won't start, just clicks Start_13
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 8:07 am

If it's been running the same battery for 15 years I'm not at all surprised it's tired.
You could try a jump starter if you have one * or a couple of jump leads to a car battery (but do not start the car). If it fires up then it's new battery time.
* and if you don't have one it's certainly worth getting one.
Back to top Go down
okcseoul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 1:04 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Thanks Cosmic...I believe it is the starter motor brushes are binding and not contacting the starter armature. However somebody said there is a start relay…”check that first” … not sure what to do or where that is…?

I've check the battery voltage and it is just like a new battery (not used 15 years that is how long I've had a SW, it is six months old). I took off the panel of the rear passenger foot peg (not the seat peg) and I couldn't see anything that looked like a starter motor. I tapped on a few things, but to no end. There is a click sound (one loud click) when I push the starter button.

So I need to know where the starter motor is located and try to get it to turn when somebody is pushing the start button at the time that it clicks.

Open to your suggestions.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 7:25 am

okcseoul wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Thanks Cosmic...I believe it is the starter motor brushes are binding and not contacting the starter armature. However somebody said there is a start relay…”check that first” … not sure what to do or where that is…?

I've check the battery voltage and it is just like a new battery (not used 15 years that is how long I've had a SW, it is six months old). I took off the panel of the rear passenger foot peg (not the seat peg) and I couldn't see anything that looked like a starter motor. I tapped on a few things, but to no end. There is a click sound (one loud click) when I push the starter button.

So I need to know where the starter motor is located and try to get it to turn when somebody is pushing the start button at the time that it clicks.

Thanks

Yeah so once you remove the left passenger foot peg, you should be able to see what is the top part of the engine block. The starter motor (cylindrical looking) is in front of this engine block. If tapping it doesn't work, then you must give it a few good strikes. Worked like a charm while I was finding a mechanic who could repair my starter motor.

P.S Do go easy on the strikes though. Striking too hard with a stainless steel tool will leave some dents (albeit negligible on the engine block exterior.
Back to top Go down
okcseoul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 5:27 am

dovahkiin wrote:
okcseoul wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Thanks

Yeah so once you remove the left passenger foot peg, you should be able to see what is the top part of the engine block. The starter motor (cylindrical looking) is in front of this engine block. If tapping it doesn't work, then you must give it a few good strikes. Worked like a charm while I was finding a mechanic who could repair my starter motor.

P.S Do go easy on the strikes though. Striking too hard with a stainless steel tool will leave some dents (albeit negligible on the engine block exterior.

As you instructed I went easy on the strikes, but I still couldn't see enough shape to know whether it was the starter motor or solenoid or just another part. Anything within reach of the tool's reach I struck and low and behold the bike started. I drove it to the repair shop and they ordered a solenoid and a brush part to change. He will take it apart and see what the problem might be. We both tried to see if we could get it to not start again, but it continued to start without a hiccup.

My SW has been so dependable through the summer, winter and rainy seasons of these fifteen years, but I know it is starting to need more attention. (66,200 kilometers = 41,375 miles)

The repair shop gave me a TMax to ride and told me to come back tomorrow morning. He must be giving me the temptation to get a newer bike.

Haha...Thanks again for all your help and advice!
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2006 SW won't start, just clicks   2006 SW won't start, just clicks I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 9:21 am

okcseoul wrote:
dovahkiin wrote:
okcseoul wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Thanks

As you instructed I went easy on the strikes, but I still couldn't see enough shape to know whether it was the starter motor or solenoid or just another part. Anything within reach of the tool's reach I struck and low and behold the bike started. I drove it to the repair shop and they ordered a solenoid and a brush part to change. He will take it apart and see what the problem might be. We both tried to see if we could get it to not start again, but it continued to start without a hiccup.

My SW has been so dependable through the summer, winter and rainy seasons of these fifteen years, but I know it is starting to need more attention. (66,200 kilometers = 41,375 miles)

The repair shop gave me a TMax to ride and told me to come back tomorrow morning. He must be giving me the temptation to get a newer bike.

Haha...Thanks again for all your help and advice!

Great to hear you were able to get your SW into the repair shop! Do keep us updated on the progress Smile
Back to top Go down

2006 SW won't start, just clicks
Page 1 of 1