Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum


 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Honda Forza 300 windshield.
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 10:57 am

» Riding The Snake
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby arboroaks Tue May 21, 2024 7:25 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue May 21, 2024 9:22 am

» Goodbye guys
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun May 19, 2024 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun May 19, 2024 4:29 pm

» noise under load
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 

 

 V light - questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 24
Location : PNW
Points : 773
Registration date : 2022-05-11

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 10:55 am

I did some scanning of old v light topics with a very specific question that was not quite answered so here goes:

I’ve been riding this bad boy since about 31k-33.6k so it’s been ridden pretty demanding considering it’s my daily. I’m aware that this is about another mile marker to replace it. Money’s been tight, but I should get just enough to purchase the belt by this weekend! I reset the light, tested for 10mi with a cap of speed at 50mph, and it did not return (the light).

I fully intend on replacing the belt because there’s no service history recorded to speak on. I’m over number 3, owner number 2 knows very little about what owner number 1 has done. Every time I open it, I feel like I know this very tall, very macguyver-esque human that much more. The good is that he didn’t do a lot, and it may very well be stock in there. Without too much assumption here are my questions: if the light didn’t come back on, should I feel that the light came on due to rpm indication or something? It came on some time during a leisure ride in wine country - so admittedly I was riding aggressively with my friend on their Honda shadow.
Second question: how should I feel about riding interim? Obviously a little less leisure till I fix but should I not ride at all?

I’ve got full coverage and towing, but yknow how it goes. Ideally I can still get to work. Thankfully, I freelance. So I can make this doable, just really could use the guidance.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert



Number of posts : 999
Location : Teesdale, UK
Points : 4008
Registration date : 2016-05-15

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 12:52 pm

From personal experience I can answer this.
1. The light will come on after 16k miles from the last reset to remind you to change the belt.
2. The other time the light comes on is if the ECU detects revs and speed outside what it expects to see. When I was running 25gm sliders in place of 28gm rollers it happened all the time after enthusiastic acceleration. Resetting then gets rid of the V light (till next time) but also resets the milage countdown so you need to use your service records to know when to replace your belt.
3. I expect it will also illuminate on if you snap the belt or otherwise knacker the transmission but I've not experienced that an hopefully never will.
It doesn't do anything clever to detect belt wear, all the ECU knows is your speed, the engine revelutions and how these should interact with standard weights and tyre sizes.

It sound like you've experienced number 2, congratulations you're riding it how it should be 😉
Does that help?


Last edited by steve_h80 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper


Number of posts : 4416
Age : 81
Location : damn near Philadelphia, PA
Points : 10565
Registration date : 2009-06-12

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 12:53 pm

The “V” light is factory set to come ON at 16,000 mile intervals. So chances are that it came ON for you at that 32k mile interval. The light is just a reminder that, by Honda standards, the belt should be changed. Many folks here have gone over, sometimes well over, 20k miles before changing the belt

That said, if you are running Dr Pulley sliding weights in the variator the “V” light is liable to come ON if riding aggressively. That’s because the wheel speed will be out of sync with what the ECM “sees” as the PRMs for that speed —i.e. The ECM sees it as the belt is worn and slipping.

IMO just change the belt, and keep your original belt as a spare.

And if you decide to use aftermarket variator weights, or change to an aftermarket performance variator just be aware that you may experience that erratic “V” light. Just set it and forget it.

I hope this makes sense.

PS: Damn, looks like Steve_h80 beat me to the punch on this. And more eloquently I might add.

Edit: You'd probably enjoy Dr Pulley 26 or 24gm variator sliders.


Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.


Number of posts : 1988
Age : 77
Location : Princeton, MN
Points : 5881
Registration date : 2014-02-13

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 1:08 pm

That's what I did. I kept my old belt as a spare and am using 26 gram sliders. So far no problems.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 24
Location : PNW
Points : 773
Registration date : 2022-05-11

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 1:31 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
From personal experience I can answer this.
1. The light will come on after 16k miles from the last reset to remind you to change the belt.
2. The other time the light comes on is if the ECU detects revs and speed outside what it expects to see. When I was running 25gm sliders in place of 28gm rollers it happened all the time after enthusiastic acceleration. Resetting then gets rid of the V light (till next time) but also resets the milage countdown so you need to use your service records to know when to replace your belt.
3. I expect it will also illuminate on if you snap the belt or otherwise knacker the transmission but I've not experienced that an hopefully never will.
It doesn't do anything clever to detect belt wear, all the ECU knows is your speed, the engine revelutions and how these should interact with standard weights and tyre sizes.

It sound like you've experienced number 2, congratulations you're riding it how it should be 😉
Does that help?


Oh man! You bet I’m riding like I stole it 😂
That said: all very good to note. I haven’t deigned to check any aftermarket upgrades besides some interesting wiring for the headlights.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 24
Location : PNW
Points : 773
Registration date : 2022-05-11

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 1:35 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
The “V” light is factory set to come ON at 16,000 mile intervals. So chances are that it came ON for you at that 32k mile interval. The light is just a reminder that, by Honda standards, the belt should be changed. Many folks here have gone over, sometimes well over, 20k miles before changing the belt

That said, if you are running Dr Pulley sliding weights in the variator the “V” light is liable to come ON if riding aggressively. That’s because the wheel speed will be out of sync with what the ECM “sees” as the PRMs for that speed —i.e. The ECM sees it as the belt is worn and slipping.

IMO just change the belt, and keep your original belt as a spare.

And if you decide to use aftermarket variator weights, or change to an aftermarket performance variator just be aware that you may experience that erratic “V” light. Just set it and forget it.

I hope this makes sense.

PS: Damn, looks like Steve_h80 beat me to the punch on this. And more eloquently I might add.

Edit: You'd probably enjoy Dr Pulley 26 or 24gm variator sliders.

I’m so close to having enough for the belt!
Maybe I should change the weights as a preemptive strike towards my very real need for speed (at times).
I’m usually so leisure paced because I’m never in a hurry on 2 wheels but especially for my friends on formal bikes I throw my flair out. The swing really performs. Couldn’t be happier.
I noticed some posts too about that install. I’ve never been a work on motors guy (I build sets) but this has been a great experience for learning. I highly value all the input the forum here has going on. Hope to catalyst more in the future.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider


Number of posts : 1012
Age : 73
Location : HI
Points : 4167
Registration date : 2015-12-18

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 3:14 pm

My 2013 Swing, purchased new from dealer, has not given me the V-light yet at just under 20k miles. I am running 24g Dr Pulley sliders from when I first got my bike. I am not an aggressive rider so maybe that is the reason. The sliders reduced a lot of the vibrations. I will be changing the belt soon when I return to Oahu next month.

My 2003 Swing, in Idaho, has a Voyager trike kit installed and is running 21g Dr Pulley sliders without any problems.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 24
Location : PNW
Points : 773
Registration date : 2022-05-11

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 4:50 pm

Easyrider wrote:
My 2013 Swing, purchased new from dealer, has not given me the V-light yet at just under 20k miles. I am running 24g Dr Pulley sliders from when I first got my bike. I am not an aggressive rider so maybe that is the reason. The sliders reduced a lot of the vibrations. I will be changing the belt soon when I return to Oahu next month.

My 2003 Swing, in Idaho, has a Voyager trike kit installed and is running 21g Dr Pulley sliders without any problems.

Yes. Seems as if that’s the way to go to at least tame my aggressive riding to Honda’s needs
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 24
Location : PNW
Points : 773
Registration date : 2022-05-11

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Meant to update   V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2022 2:13 pm

Folks, with some doing I have replaced the v belt as of a few days ago and got the bike in the shop for tires! Had lost my wallet literally on the way to the bank to deposit some pay and lost just way too much money for comfort (as well as my new wallet). But without too much trouble, the tool was fabbed, belt swap fast and easy (1.5hrs) torqued to spec, and tested for about 100 miles before I called it for the heat wave on my tires. For sport added on an oil and filter change because it was pretty cheap considering the mammoth has a good amount it needs. They’re popping my new rear brake pads in too (free w tires) cause they came as gift with the bike. Out the shop for $225 in a couple more days! Gonna start the body restoration next, and it’s taking a little time to decide exactly how I want to go about buttoning the body that has fasteners broken because I may as well replace just a few things for longevity of repair and making access to wiring in front. All things considered the body isn’t too terribly bad- just hadn’t really touched it because having just purchased, I wanted to get the maintenance record current. First things first addressing the road rash on left and right side: bondo, sand, paint match? Should be sufficient.
After phase 1 of body I may decide to pull the trigger on the recommended performance mods but I wanted to get it up in maintenance to get a feel for how stock it performs with me in its best possible condition. As this is my first dive into being a scooter mech, I’m just taking precautions to not overdo it. Let me know anything you want to share in response to that! Photos for posterity V light - questions  Ab45b510
V light - questions  C567b610
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 24
Location : PNW
Points : 773
Registration date : 2022-05-11

V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2022 2:14 pm

V light - questions  66a87610
V light - questions  171e2910


Editing to add/say: the belt was so damn thin on one side I just ordered an extra belt. Almost left that out haha. Very glad to not have seen it snap but once the heat hit I knew I was on borrowed time. Very very very timely repair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





V light - questions  Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light - questions    V light - questions  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
V light - questions
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Comments: Admore light bar vs mini light bar
» My first few newb questions....
» 2 questions
» Gearing questions
» Uk fuel questions

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: