Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My first few newb questions....

Go down 
+5
Terry Smith
Donie
Lenny
Meldrew
VictorLouis
9 posters
AuthorMessage
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-04-26

My first few newb questions....  Empty
PostSubject: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 2:04 pm

1- Just got a '12 with 13,600. If there is no indication in the manual as to a belt change, is this something I should get done shortly (15k intervals?) ? Get it from an dealer, or aftermarket source?

2- I take it the seat storage lamp can get stuck and drain a battery? Do I buy the version with a switch aftermaret or OEM?

3- Any source for a headlamp guard? The old Cee-Bailey's link is dead, and it appears they don't do cycle shields any longer. I ask because we constantly suffer cracked and chipped windshields on our cars here in Phoenix due to the chip-seal used in surfacing and repairs. Thus, it's a real concern in my limited area.

4- Extra brake/running lamps? I am leaning very highly to the Denali B6 as it's a lamp on either side of the license plate frame. Thus, it makes a triangle shape of light to better distinguish my tail-end to the drivers behind me. The Admore and Billy just seem to be one bar at the bottom of the plate frame, leaving the OEM atop the accessory.

5- Lastly, which HORN to swap out for the anemic OEM, LOL?

Feel free to suggest, other, or better options as you see fit.

Very much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 4:58 pm

Hello mate, before you go picking the communal brain of the forum by asking questions, you should do what it says at the top of the page and politely introduce yourself to the esteemed gentlemen on the forum.

Thank you

Wash your hands, stay safe, and don't go doing anything silly with disinfectants.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Have you formatted your viewing preference to see the Latest Topics sidebar at the left of screen?

» My first few newb questions....
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 1:58 pm

» Just got a '12 in Phoenix
My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeby VictorLouis Today at 10:53 am thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 1:24 am

Yes we all know you've bought a 2012 Silver Wing in Phoenix, Arizona and want to change the weedy horn etc. That's not exactly introducing you Victor Louise the person with a few details about yourself to the forum is it.

Back to top Go down
Lenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-09-08

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 3:22 am

1. Shoe size
2. Inside leg
3. Dentures?
4 Ask question
😂
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Meldrew,

Are you trying desperately to live up to the Victor Meldrew image?

Lighten up a bit, and see if your can help VictorLuis
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 3:54 pm

To do what exactly, VictorLouis (not Luis) has been more active on here in the last two and a half weeks than you have in the last seven years.

In fact I was going to help you out last night on your query about brake pads as my Silver Wing Factory Service Manual was handy,I was having a look. Then I got called to a long Messenger chat with one of the York touring group guys, that's a real person I actually know not just a forum name, and then I went to bed.

I see your question has been now been answered.
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 4:23 pm

I think a curmudgeon is best left to himself.

It's quite clear that you're more interested in being pedantic, than actually helping anyone here.

If you can't resist the temptation to get back at me again, you won't get a response.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Donie wrote:
I think a curmudgeon is best left to himself.

It's quite clear that you're more interested in being pedantic, than actually helping anyone here.

If you can't resist the temptation to get back at me again, you won't get a response.

Well played Donie. There is also the option to add the less helpful souls to your "Foes" list and then you won't see their posts any more. I'm new here myself, but this is the first forum I've been on where I have used that function.

Personally I get a lot out of owners forums, and once you figure out who the helpful experts are, they can be enormously valuable and lots of fun.

To VictorLouis, the headlight on the SWing is polycarbonate so less likely to suffer stone damage than glass.

For the underseat light question, you could swap the bulb for LED which draws less current, but I would be disconnecting it altogether and using my phone to light up the area if I needed it. I think a manual switch could be just as problematic as the seat switch in terms of forgetfulness.

For your belt, the recommended replacement interval is 16000 miles. It is not a big deal to take off the belt cover and measure the width of the belt, the minimum service limit is 27.0mm. I'm waiting on a new belt myself (virus-affected slow shipping) but the belt is working fine at 25.7mm. Not sure I'll be heading off cross-country any time soon on that though...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 12:34 am

Don't get assumptions like others by the forum name or Curmudgeon title mate, I was a Silver Wing Guru for years previously, neither title was asked for.

As a less helpful soul even I know just about everything you or any new or less established member want to know about a Silver Wing is already on here, if you make the effort to Search for it.

Quite a number of members don't do that, if they did they'd get their answer and pick up a load of useful info for future reference too. But sadly it seems that's too much effort, bloke one asks a question because he hasn't tried looking first. A helpful soul on here reads the post, does the work and gives him his answer.

To me bloke one is just being lazy if he can't be bothered to look for himself.  Or check his spelling or grammar on a device that can spellcheck and autocorrect for him, and of course someone like me is pedantic for reminding him.

A lot of queries are answered simply by looking in the Owners Handbook that should be under the seat on top of the battery.

It seems some new owners buy a used Silver Wing without getting this handy book, but they're easy to download from a number of sources. I still have it bookmarked on my iPad along with about 20 other Service and Parts PDF's that came from info on posted on here. I no longer need them but they're Bookmarked.

I also have a hard copy of a Silver Wing Factory Service Manual and I've dipped into it a couple of times posted bits of info members have asked for.  While being careful not to infringe Copyright issues on here, but I doubt if you knew that,  

For queries about normal service items and parts you're unsure about, it takes very litte effort to find an online Silver Wing spares and accessories website and Bookmark it for both reference or purchase. In fact it's never been easier.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 4:50 am

Terry Smith wrote:

Personally I get a lot out of owners forums, and once you figure out who the helpful experts are, they can be enormously valuable and lots of fun.

..// snipped //..

For your belt, the recommended replacement interval is 16000 miles. It is not a big deal to take off the belt cover and measure the width of the belt, the minimum service limit is 27.0mm. I'm waiting on a new belt myself (virus-affected slow shipping) but the belt is working fine at 25.7mm. Not sure I'll be heading off cross-country any time soon on that though...

Hi bud.

At 25.7mm your belt is NOT 'working fine' but it IS causing the engine to over rev' at any/all road speeds, due to the variator sheaths (driving & driven) not being at their designer optimal operating points
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 7:37 am

I feel like I ought to crawl up under a rock now....
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 7:44 am

I wouldn’t mate, you're in rattlesnake country. 🐍
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 8:48 am

VictorLouis wrote:
... snipped ... Just got a '12 with 13,600 ... I take it the seat storage lamp can get stuck and drain a battery? Do I buy the version with a switch aftermaret or OEM?

Congrats on your new ride. I've never had a problem with the cargo bay light staying on and draining the battery. However, I did eventually install the "On/Off" switch from a Honda car (Civic I believe) just to be safe.

I went to the Honda car dealer and ordered part # 34260-SH3-004 Trunk Light Assembly. It was CAD$20 when I bought it in 2011. It is a direct fit, plug 'n play unit that you can manually control with the integrated switch. Takes away that issue of battery draining unless you either leave the cargo bay light on or accidentally turn it on by nudging the switch with something (hard to do but possible).

Hope this helps. ~ sonuvabug ~
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi VL
Welcome to the asylum.
1. Belt change at 16K miles. Easy to do but takes a while the first time, plenty of how to guides on here and the rest of the web. For what it costs it not worth trying to skimp a few miles more out of the belt unless you have the proverbial short arms and deep pockets.
2. Just remove the underseat light because it's a nuisance, if you have a habit of rummaging about in the dark put a small torch in the front pocket.
3. Headlight guard? I've heard of them for the SW so can't help you there.
4 & 5. They won't make you any safer in the real world. Just assume you're invisible to most and those that can see you are homicidal maniacs and are out to get you, then ride accordingly.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 9:39 am

I've already received Hi-Flow air and oil filters, OEM Element filter, and Erlandsno drive belt. Since the dealer couldn't schedule me until the 9th, I'm hoping I can get a real horn for them to install while they're at it.

Of course, I have to search and research here for 'HORN', so that I don't needlessly bother any curmudgeons for the latest/greatest suggestions. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 10:09 am

Hello mate, this curmudgeon here has read a few forum posts over the years about owners buying  these mega loud wake the dead horns with compressors or whatever, and then finding out when installing them that they're too large to fit inside the bodywork or tuck away neatly. So I'd check whatever you buy fits to avoid disappointment.

My OE horn is loud enough and I know it works as I occasionally accidentally touch the button when operating the indicators on the Forza if I haven't been out for a while. Anyway excessively loud horn noise and use is as annoying as those 'loud pipes save lives' bellends, and their close brethren the compulsive throttle blipper.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 6:10 pm

The Bern wrote:
Terry Smith wrote:

..// snipped //..

Hi bud.

At 25.7mm your belt is NOT 'working fine' but it IS causing the engine to over rev' at any/all road speeds, due to the variator sheaths (driving & driven) not being at their designer optimal operating points

First off...I'm not your "bud".

My definition of "working fine" and yours are clearly different. I stated that my belt is well below the minimum service limit and that I am waiting on a replacement. I stated that I would not be planning any long distance rides on it any time soon for that reason.

However...the belt is in visibly good shape with no fraying or cracking, it is just worn, like a tyre. The bike accelerates smoothly and for the limited use that I'm putting it to, it really does work fine. There are no excessive revs, vibes or noises. That means the transmission is functional and safe, but possibly not absolutely optimal. I can live with that.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 7:27 am

Regarding replacing the Silverwing horn with one more suited to an eighteen-wheeler:

I did the deed on my X9500 some years ago; the horn was a Stebel Nautilus and fitted easily in the fairing.

However, over a considerable period of time thinking about doing the same on my first Silverwing, I came to the conclusion that it was not a good idea for this reason:

I drive a car, ride a maxiscooter and a bicycle and walk along the King's Highway. I try to keep eyes and ears open while I'm doing so, not least to avoid colliding with other road-users.

My ears are attuned to the sound of other vehicles as well as the sight of them.

I could ramble for ages about this but the point is that if I hear the sound of the HGV horn I expect to see an HGV, not a maxiscooter, so might inadvertently overlook the scooter.

I have no doubt people will say I should see everything but research has shown that human eye/brain co-ordination is never perfect.

It's my personal point-of-view.

(Keep the Faith and follow the Yellow Brick Road. Wink )

Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Mike, I agree with you. I put a Wolo Low Tone in my TMax and it sounds for all the world exactly like every typical sedan on the road. Just enough to get'r done. Besides which, the Stebel/Denali etc. is a giant beast with installation concerns, as I've read here in my research.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first few newb questions....    My first few newb questions....  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first few newb questions....
Page 1 of 1