Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400

Go down 
+3
zrx212
dovahkiin
Cosmic_Jumper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2022-05-09

General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 Empty
PostSubject: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 2:30 am

Hey everyone,

Recently, my Silverwing's starter motor failed. Had a workshop mechanic opened it up and replaced the carbon brush holder that was long gone. The o-rings crumbled so I had that changed too. The past 7 owners probably never replaced any parts in the past 18 years because it was COVERED in black gunk.

General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 Start_10
The old starter motor brush that came out of my Silverwing.

General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 Start_11
What a new starter motor brush looks like

Anyway, I checked the air cleaner that's located on the right side and noticed it's covered in a layer of... black gunk as well? I'm currently doing 5.94L/100km (that's 39.6mpg) after dumping a full bottle of STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner into the tank.

Should I see any improve to fuel consumption if I changed to a new air cleaner? 39.6mpg is ridiculously low given the quotes I'm seeing on the forum. Appreciate any inputs, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 9:28 am

Yes, you will see an improvement in fuel economy.

The best fuel economy is between 60-80kph (at least for 600 Silverwings) and a steady hand on the throttle. But, as I understand it, Singapore is a densely crowded city so there’d be little chance of cruising at ~65 kph for very long. Stop & Go traffic will not improve fuel economy.

Please let us know how you get on with this.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 1:24 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Yes, you will see an improvement in fuel economy.

The best fuel economy is between 60-80kph (at least for 600 Silverwings) and a steady hand on the throttle. But, as I understand it, Singapore is a  densely crowded city so there’d be little chance of cruising at ~65 kph for very long. Stop & Go traffic will not improve fuel economy.

Please let us know how you get on with this.

Yeah there's not much chance to cruise for long periods of time in Singapore. Maximum of 15-20 minutes on the highway and it's back to idling at the traffic lights.

Am considering to get a cheap aftermarket one for about $20 to save on cost. Will update when I get around to replacing (hopefully with photos!)
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 4:50 am

Okay so I managed to find a guy who was selling a lightly used air cleaner (genuine Honda part), presumably with about 70-100km on it for about $30 (USD$22). Not a bad deal considering that I would had paid 3-4x the price if I bought off the Honda parts site.

Immediately set off dismantling my Swing to replace the air cleaner and lo and behold..

General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 Old_ai10
The old air cleaner choked up with a bunch of black gunk.

I knew the air cleaner on my Swing was covered in black gunk when I peeped it through the cover, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. LOL.

Anyway, here's a comparison shot of the lightly used air cleaner that I bought with the old one.

General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 Compar10
The difference is immense.

Air cleaner change took me slightly over an hour to get it done. Overall, I learnt a great deal replacing my own air cleaner; am definitely a step closer to fully understanding my Swing.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 10:12 am

Given that spares are so expensive for your location you might want to attempt to thoroughly clean that old air filter. And once adequately dry spritz it with a mist of light oil.

Or remove the old paper element, saving the frame and metal mesh and replace the paper element with foam filter material. I recall seeing posts here about doing that but I’m unable to find them. So do check YouTube for that.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 10:18 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Given that spares are so expensive for your location you might want to attempt to thoroughly clean that old air filter. And once adequately dry spritz it with a mist of light oil.

Or remove the old paper element, saving the frame and metal mesh and replace the paper element with foam filter material. I recall seeing posts here about doing that but I’m unable to find them. So do check YouTube for that.

Sorry if I sound stupid, but may I know what sort of light oil is suitable for application after deep cleaning the old air filter?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 10:54 am

dovahkiin wrote:
Sorry if I sound stupid, but may I know what sort of light oil is suitable for application after deep cleaning the old air filter?

At the moment that “light oil” escapes me. However K&N aftermarket filter kits do come with a light oil which is spritzed on their paper filter elements after cleaning and drying. So maybe just mist on WD-40 —some kind of light oil which will attract and trap dust and dirt yet still allow air to pass.

Lots of good info on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 11:35 am

Even though in not a fan of washing paper air filters, a lot of people do, warm water and generous amount regular dish soap or plastic safe degreaser, allow to fully dry out in the sun, overnight ?? like CJ mentioned a coat of wd40 will work fine, again let it air out for 1/2 hour or so to evaporate the volatile chemicals. The oil will help repell moisture and trap dust.

I did do a foam filter mod on my original filter and used for a month, while I sourced new oem style, no problems, cut out old paper and used 2 layers Uni-filter foam sheets fine 60ppi and coarse 30ppi on outside layer, I used their propietary/specific oil, etc. The thing is I had all materials on hand for use in my smaller scooters, is probably cheaper/easier to source a replacement aftermarket oem type like Hiflo filter, etc.
Attachments
General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 AttachmentSW10.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(255 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2022 1:15 pm

zrx212 wrote:
Even though in not a fan of washing paper air filters, a lot of people do, warm water and generous amount regular dish soap or plastic safe degreaser, allow to fully dry out in the sun, overnight ?? like CJ mentioned a coat of wd40 will work fine, again let it air out for 1/2 hour or so to evaporate the volatile chemicals. The oil will help repell moisture and trap dust.

I did do a foam filter mod on my original filter and used for a month, while I sourced new oem style, no problems, cut out old paper and used 2 layers Uni-filter foam sheets fine 60ppi and coarse 30ppi on outside layer, I used their propietary/specific oil, etc. The thing is I had all materials on hand for use in my smaller scooters, is probably cheaper/easier to source a replacement aftermarket oem type like Hiflo filter, etc.

Thanks for the reference picture and advice. This will come in handy when I want to save cost in the near future Smile

Also, I've figured the problem with my poor fuel consumption.

My Swing 400 has a T-Mode button and I've been turning it on every time I go out for a ride. Did it because there was a substantial increase in performance (and I was loving every bit of it).

What I did not realize, was that with added performance comes increased fuel consumption.

General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 Photo_10

These were my mileage and price paid for petrol (in Singapore dollars) as well as my calculated fuel consumption. 29th May is the latest one where I did not turn on T-Mode.

Comparing fuel consumption of 25th May's to 29th May's:

25th May - 33.67mpg (6.99L/100km)
29th May - 50.91mpg (4.61L/100km)

Shall be using my Swing's T-Mode button sparingly now!

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2022 7:03 pm

I wish I knew how that T-Mode switch worked. Even though I recall seeing a pin-out diagram for the JDM 400 T-Mode ECM many years ago nothing there suggested a “how to”.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2022 8:25 am

The K&N air filters are a cotton element (not paper) that use a special oil. The cleaning kit (sold separately) will clean and re-oil the filter for many years. It takes me 45 min to an hour to remove the filter on the Silver Wing so at replacement time it got a K&N that doesn't need service for 30K miles or longer. I have used them for YEARS in motorcycles/ cars or trucks. The drawback is of course price... But if you plan to keep the scoot for a long time it will save $$$. Sometimes you can find them on eBay used and clean it and it is like new.

Honda is notorious for HIDING the air filter LOL. My Goldwing 1800 filter was buried and took 2-3 hours to change IF you knew what you were doing. It also got a K&N. Now the Forza is a breath of fresh air as it is very easy to remove and clean or replace...the engineers must have screwed up on it!!!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2022 2:19 pm

The advantages or disadvantages, of using K&N filters, have been well documented over the years, the thing is, scooters air filters get very dirty, both my scooters air filters were virtually clogged at relatively low mileages 5-10k miles, possibly due to where they draw air from, area in top of rear wheel. IMO extended change intervals are not a good idea, because no matter type of filter, it would get just as dirty !!, your engine won't breathe right and really impacts fuel economy. FIY, no, I don't drive any dirt roads, etc.

Wich brings me to my personal drawback on K&N air filters, on top of the 30-45min. replacement time, you have to wash/dry/oil filter, maybe an overnight process? Not to say the Hazmat dangers nowdays and/or gear you should wear when doing so, waste of water, etc. !!. Or you can just install a new paper filter, ride scooter immediately and/or go on with life. I can almost buy 3 Hiflo air filters for similar price of one K&N. Not worth the hassle IMO.
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2022 11:26 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I wish I knew how that T-Mode switch worked. Even though I recall seeing a pin-out diagram for the JDM 400 T-Mode ECM many years ago nothing there suggested a “how to”.
Hello Cosmic Jumper,

Maybe I sound stupid now, but what is a T-mode switch? 
Where would that switch be in the SW?
And what does the switch do for the SW?
How does the switch work?

Keep in mind that I'm living in Europe and maybe that the T-mode switch is not available for European SW's.

Thank you in advance for your effort
🙏🏻
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2022 12:56 pm

" Maybe I sound stupid now, but what is a T-mode switch? "

The only stup** question, is the one that's never asked!!

In any case the T-mode switch, it basically changes the mode of the ECM/ECU/PGM-FI box for more power/acceleration, it was a feature available on some other market models besides the US, some old discussions can be found here on a search, very little found on a general google search. Supposedly on the SW-T400/600 GT circa 2010 ??
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2022 1:27 pm

Aahhhh that might be why I've never seen the switch 😏
My SW is a FJS400D from 2008

Thnx for your answer 🙏🏻

Have a great evening
Back to top Go down
bergwerk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2021-07-13

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 2:06 am

Ok, after seeing those pictures I really fee the need to check my air filter… how do I get at it? Smile
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 5:15 pm

If you do a search you'll find 'Air Filter Pictorial'. It's all there thumbs up
Back to top Go down
bergwerk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2021-07-13

PostSubject: Re: General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400   General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 2:36 am

👍
Back to top Go down

General maintenance for a '02 Silverwing 400
Page 1 of 1