Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hopeful SilverWing convert

Go down 
+3
Meldrew
john grinsel
Mike M
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2022-05-12

Hopeful SilverWing convert Empty
PostSubject: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 4:02 pm

Hello everyone
Thank you very much for allowing me to join your group. I have never been in such a group before so beg pardon in advance if I mess up on the technology side.

I am 62 years old and returning to 2 wheels after a layoff since 1987 following a very enjoyable 10 years on a GoldWing K2. Ive been looking over the possibilities of what to aim for for some time and fell apon the Silver Wing by chance and loved it immediately.
I had looked at the Forza 750 but very expensive for everything, BMW 650C the same especially servicing but in my heart I knew I really wanted a Honda.

Seeing this very excellent forum convinced me the SilverWing is the way forward, I like to do my own servicing and seems everyone here is well guided by the excellent posts from those who have been there and done it many times and generously related their wisdom for the benefit of all.

No bike yet, still looking but very much enjoying the forum and the huge wealth of collected experience and genuine friendship I see.
Thanks all, great work.
thumbs up
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 4:18 pm

Just remember SilverWing is no longer current model and has not been since 2013
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 11:12 pm

Errr.... not quite correct Mr G. The FJS version of the Silver Wing on sale in the UK until 2016. A weekly look at our most popular online used selling website shows that dealers have had models from 2012, 2013, and 2014 for sale recently.
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 5:24 am

Thanks Mr G, Mr Meldrew also noted what I have noted in that the SW is still popping up in good order in a few places here in UK. Maybe used in part-exchange for something else but I am very happy to have a bike with a few road miles under it and am confident Hondas are built to keep going.
From the posts I see there are plenty of much earlier bikes still giving good service so its still my plan. Fingers crossed something nice pops up.. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 5:52 am

Also generic & original spare parts and tyres still available in just about every country worldwide - and you can still order from Honda if you don't mind waiting for OEM parts.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 6:39 am

Mike M wrote:
Thanks Mr G, Mr Meldrew also noted what I have noted in that the SW is still popping up in good order in a few places here in UK. Maybe used in part-exchange for something else but I am very happy to have a bike with a few road miles under it and am confident Hondas are built to keep going.
From the posts I see there are plenty of much earlier bikes still giving good service so its still my plan. Fingers crossed something nice pops up.. thumbs up

Hello mate, there's a 2009 Silver Wing in silver, 15200 miles, going for £2195 on eBay. It's in Keighley, West Yorkshire.

The name Keighley to me always conjures up memories of cold wet Saturday afternoons in front of our telly 'when I were a lad', and Eddie Waring commentating on their Rugby League team. While my Dad was impatiently waiting for the football results so he could check his pools. Smile
Back to top Go down
arry_b
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 11:21 am

As you do your own servicing, you'll find everything you need to work on simple enough to get to. Even belt changes or variator work is very straightforward.

Things you'll find a bit odd, coming from a bike background, is the amount of dismantling needed to get the back wheel off for tyre changes (start by removing the exhaust tailbox and work inwards), and the amount of effort needed if you want to remove the front bodywork (thankfully, not normally needed).

Here in the UK, there seem to be a lot of low mileage bikes still around for little money. Don't be afraid of an older one if you want to try one out so long as it's not got starship mileage on it. Mine's 20 years old, and it had done 1000 miles per year when I got it. A service and a belt change, and I've added another 5000 since last summer with no problems at all.
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 2:27 pm

Thank-you Meldrew and arry_b for your pointers. Agree there seems some good choice here, if I'm fussy I like the blue SWing best and as recent a model as poss' so that's my aiming point. Hopefully not long before I can add a proper bike pic' to my name.

We are blessed with some amazing countryside here in Yorkshire and a bike is by far the nicest way to enjoy it. I've only been here 22 years so still feel a bit foreign like! Sooo looking forward to getting going on my own bike.

Small aside Q, do you all ride with full leathers, boots, full-face helment or what? I used to have my Derry boots and one-piece Belstaff but I bet things have moved on a bit since the 80's.. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 928
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 8:31 am

Welcome aboard the board Mike M.  I hope you find the right SWing and the right deal for yourself.  You obviously know about Honda reliability and the SWing is no different.

Regarding riding gear, ride with what you are personally comfortable with.  For me, that means ATGATT and the best that I can afford.
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 9:57 am

Thanks sonuvabug, yes looking hard. Found a nice blue 2014 Swing, 8168miles, but its almost 250miles away, bahhh  Sad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 12:02 pm

Alternatively you could go look at the 2019 Honda Forza 300 for sale at Castle Motorcycles in Castleford instead. It's blue, low mileage, blue, for the same price at that Silver Wing that's for sale in that faded South Coast holiday resort.

I downsized from a Silver Wing to the same model Forza back in 2018 after eight years on a Silver Wing. It's a great lightweight touring scooter, performance wise it matches the Silver Wing, and is far more comprehensively equipped.
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 3:56 pm

Hi Meldrew
No I'm really set on a SWing, looking at a trip down south to that ageing resort... thumbs up
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 4:39 am

Mike M wrote:

Small aside Q, do you all ride with full leathers, boots, full-face helment or what? I used to have my Derry boots and one-piece Belstaff but I bet things have moved on a bit since the 80's.. thumbs up

Loads of choice these days Mike. I'm a fan of motorcycle jeans if the weather is suitable, Hood being my preferred choice, and then a textile jacket. Altberg boots are good as they are walking boots at heart so easy off the bike too.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 5:40 am

I like having good quality riding gear. I'm off out soon and I'll be wearing Klim jacket, Bull-it jeans, Hi-Tec Magnums, and Schuberth open face helmet. This is my general slobbing about riding gear, gone are the days when I'd ride without any armour in jacket and pants, and more importantly a back protector, and as I already have tinnitus, custom made ear plugs are essential kit too.

I have a pair of Altberg lace up bike boots which are great quality, but rather too clumpy for general riding. I've never liked leather riding gear, and apart from the Klim outfit, I have a couple of textile riding suits.  I wore a full suit for the ride down to Essex a couple of weeks ago, and since then I've replaced the normal knee armour for softer D3O ones.

If and when the weather gets better I'll break out my Hein Gericke textile suit, I have a cooling vest I can wear under the jacket, and a heated jacket I can wear with the heavier duty one.

I've a couple of two piece rain suits too, but since changing to the Forza I've been out in really heavy prolonged rain quite a few times and haven't stopped to put on a rain suit as I stay remarkably dry on the Forza.

Derriboots got a mention earlier in the topic, they're a nostalgic blast from the past, up there with Bob Heath Visors, and boiling bike chains in tins of Duckhams chain lube.

I got through a few pairs of Derriboots back then, I even used to replace the heels rubbers using home shoe repair gear from Woolworth's. Derriboots were great for keeping your feet warm and dry in the worst of weather. The downside was Derriboot Foot from wearing them for too long.
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 6:10 am

Thanks Guys for the steering on bike clothing. I'm starting out with nothing so a big change from my previous life. Exciting though and can't wait.

The note on Derri boots reminds me they were not so warm but on a GoldWing K2 your feet were tucked just behind the cyylinders so always kept warm and toasted! The GW was a heavy bike, affectionately called "a lead pig" by those who didnt get to ride one. For those of us who did it was known as an armchair on wheels!!

Keep it upright thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful SilverWing convert   Hopeful SilverWing convert I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hopeful SilverWing convert
Page 1 of 1