Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 12:10 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:42 am

» checking the oil
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:13 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:08 am

» LF extended back rest
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

fork tube extension for silver wing

Go down 
+6
BrianInVA
GHM-PM
Cosmic_Jumper
zrx212
sonuvabug
ramy gamal
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ramy gamal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ramy gamal

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-01-06

fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing Empty
PostSubject: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi again this is Ramy Gamal from egypt

Has anyone tried to install fork tube extension on a silver wing front fork in order to extend its fork length ?

Thanks a lot for your help my dear friends
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 1:56 pm

Hi Ramy, interesting question.  I've wondered if a different front fork from another motorcycle model could be installed on the Silver Wing.  Personally, I feel I am "sliding forward" on my SWing despite having replaced the OEM seat with a Corbin seat.  It's better than stock but not great.

I'd also like another inch or even two up front in tire height for better steering and road handling.  I realize this may throw the scooter's entire geometry out of whack and due to limited room, it might be difficult, if not impossible, to make a corresponding adjustment to the height of the rear rim/tire assembly.  I'm thinking a 15 or 16" tire up front with perhaps a 14" rear tire.

I see some of the newer scooters are being designed with larger tires. Based on some of the reading I've done on this subject, I couldn't find anyone who tinkered with this issue on their SWing.

Why do you want to extend your forks?
Back to top Go down
ramy gamal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ramy gamal

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 2:11 pm

well actually i want to extend my front fork and my rear shock as well and I found on amazon fork tube extender and rear shock extender , I will put both links below, and my reason for the extension is because in Egypt the roads has a lot bumps like deep bumps and high bumps as well, that's why I want to put extensions to protect my bike from under

fork tube extension link

https://www.amazon.com/CycleVisions-41mm-Fork-Extension-CV7100/dp/B00M9ML7R2/ref=sr_1_23?crid=3KYU2GDBUJZF4&keywords=CycleVisions+4%22+41mm+Fork+Tube+Extension&qid=1649844192&sprefix=cyclevisions+4+41mm+fork+tube+extension%2Caps%2C784&sr=8-23

rear shock extension

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PRQRY3G/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2AV9Q5WVREVK0&psc=1
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 2:22 pm

OK.  If these are solid and not part of the dampening system (i.e. not fluid is running through them), I don't think you're going to get the effect you're looking for.  

It appears all these extensions will do will be to raise/extend your suspension by 2" (like a lift kit on a pickup truck).  I don't see how they will help with dampening or lessening the effect of the shocks from  rough roads.  

If your intent is simply to raise your scooter higher above the riding surface, I guess these should do that.  You'll also have a higher seat height and COG to adjust to as well.  No issue if you have long enough legs for the added seat height.

I may be missing something here.  scratch

Last edited by sonuvabug on Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added seat height & COG comment.)
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-27

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 5:39 pm

The extension idea may work on a conventional motorcycle that has upper and lower fork tube clamps, the SW600 only has a single lower clamp setup, typically found in a lot of scooters, but is very robust/strong, relies a lot on the fork tubes for rigidity, any kind of threaded extension will weaken the fork assembly IMO, additionally oem tubes are grooved to accept lower clamp bolt and prevent fork tube from sliding, etc.
I think best idea is to add a longer inner spacer and go to 15-20wt fork fluid. Aftermarket springs are not very available.
One of the features of scooters in general is low center of gravity for more stability, etc. raising/changing this can affect handling !!
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing Sw15810
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 6:06 pm

In the absence of a proper fork brace, extending the fork tubes would only weaken the fork tubes and increase the risk of the tubes bending IMHO.

Please see this discussion regarding forks bottoming out and zrx212’s excellent fork upgrade and Stefano Bonacasa’s similar fork upgrade using two additional Silverwing rebound springs and washers as posted in the SWCI SW-T facebook forum.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t12150-forks-bottoming-out

Sorry about the poor quality photo. But the picture is self explanatory and Honda part #’s are shown.
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing A87c9410
Back to top Go down
ramy gamal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ramy gamal

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 8:15 am

zrx212, Cosmic_Jumper

I can see your points here and I believe that we should leave the fork as it is however i can do this upgrade that Stefano did it and will see how it will go.

thanks a lot guys for your kind help.

also I would like to thank sonuvabug for his kind reply and support as well

By the way guys , in USA do you have a Silver Wing group riders as we have here in Egypt?
Is there Facebook page related to this group as we also have here in Egypt?

This is the Facebook group page that is related to our Silver Wing group riders in Egypt

https://www.facebook.com/SilverWingCommunity

What about yours in USA?

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-27

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 3:23 pm

I'm not aware of any specific SW600 or Maxi-Scooters specific riding groups, there's some scooter clubs/groups mostly in larger cities or coast/beach areas here in Florida, but mostly small displacement city use types, they usually meet up certain days and ride locally to restaurants, etc.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2022 1:01 pm

I am a member of this FB group:

Honda Silverwing Scooters 582cc

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167150373692150

Good peoples but I spend a bit more time on this forum! Cao.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-18

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 3:21 am

There’s also the Facebook Silverwing 600 group, which is general discussion:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/19098929297/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment

The Facebook HondaSilverwing Scooters 582cc group seems more oriented towards selling stuff.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-21

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 4:22 am

sonuvabug wrote:
Hi Ramy, interesting question.  I've wondered if a different front fork from another motorcycle model could be installed on the Silver Wing.  Personally, I feel I am "sliding forward" on my SWing despite having replaced the OEM seat with a Corbin seat.  It's better than stock but not great.

I'd also like another inch or even two up front in tire height for better steering and road handling.  I realize this may throw the scooter's entire geometry out of whack and due to limited room, it might be difficult, if not impossible, to make a corresponding adjustment to the height of the rear rim/tire assembly.  I'm thinking a 15 or 16" tire up front with perhaps a 14" rear tire.

I see some of the newer scooters are being designed with larger tires. Based on some of the reading I've done on this subject, I couldn't find anyone who tinkered with this issue on their SWing.

Why do you want to extend your forks?

You may want to explore Kymco. They generally run bigger wheels on their scooters. I woyld buy this one in a heartbeat if my wife wouldn't kill me. 

It's an 07 500cc Xiciting for $1500. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/699466234507604/?ref=facebook_story_share

People turn up their nose at Kymco but they are quality machines. Even my 200cc People had 16's front and back. And least we forget Kymco engines power BMW scooters.

If I was going to buy a NEW scoot today, given limited US options, I would likely opt for this one.

https://kymcousa.com/2021-scooters/2022-ak-550/

Dry weight is 462 and tires are 15 front and back.
Back to top Go down
jerry-d
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2022-04-19

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2022 1:38 pm

the method cosmic jumper linked is easiest way to achieve additional front height and additional travel. it would allow front to sit higher. less sliding forward feel. the cost will be a stiffer ride. the stock fork setup allows a second method . the stock tube is over 1/2 inch proud of its mount. meaning it sticks out above the brace. adding a groove to tube the tube can be sunk into mount about 5/8 inch. this would in effect make fork tube extended in length by 5/8 in.
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing 20210203-123145-HDR
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2022 12:53 am

jerry-d wrote:
the method cosmic jumper linked is easiest way to achieve additional front height and additional travel. it would allow front to sit higher. less sliding forward feel. the cost will be a stiffer ride. the stock fork setup allows a second method . the stock tube is over 1/2 inch proud of its mount. meaning it sticks out above the brace. adding a groove to tube the tube can be sunk into mount about 5/8 inch. this would in effect make fork tube extended in length by 5/8 in.
fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing 20210203-123145-HDR

I disagree that last bit of tube at top has threads in there for the cap and thinner metal. Modifying it would weaken it and could break it. SW has a unique fork clamp much different then most motorcycles only has one steering stem lower.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2022 8:49 am

The other answer is what the makers of custom bikes do and have some over-length stanchions fabricated.
It isn't going to be a cheap option. Then it's just a matter of fixing the chopper like handling....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fork tube extension for silver wing   fork seal - fork tube extension for silver wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fork tube extension for silver wing
Page 1 of 1