Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:21 am

» New member from Europe
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Smoking Exhaust

Go down 
+4
cello33
1Wingman1
zrx212
Mech 1 twa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2018-07-09

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2022 6:54 pm

I noticed some smoke out of the exhaust of the swing this morning and wondered if any other inmates have the same issue?

My swing is approaching 40K miles, gets used regulary all year round and I can say i have never noticed this before in 4 years of ownership.

I checked the sparkplugs 4 days ago and started her up briefly  just to check all was in order but then not used her for 3 days  so wonder if this brief 10 second burn was the issue or the fact that I cleaned the irridium  plugs and checked the clearances.

Other then that all is well , she pulls well enough and only needed a slight oil top up last service at around 4K. Saying that she is probably due a oli n filter change so maybe the oil is getting a little thin andfinding its way past  the bores.....

ANy ideas ?

TiA
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2022 8:16 pm

Blue smoke or just condensation burning off? If it's not using much oil, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Inmates are restless it's Winter over here.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 513
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2022 10:21 pm

Check your airbox and/or drain hose for presence of oil, do not overfill oil, middle point between marks is fine, otherwise ride on if no more smoke events. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2013-01-19

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2022 11:59 pm

Occasionally I see a little blue smoke on cold startup for a few seconds. Uses very little oil. The following link has explanations for different colors of smoke:

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/exhaust-smoke-color-diagnosis-blue-black-white/
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2022 10:55 am

cello33 wrote:
snipped ... I noticed some smoke out of the exhaust of the swing this morning and wondered if any other inmates have the same issue?  Any ideas ? ...

Colour of smoke?
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2022 11:21 am

Cheers good advice, smoke light white colour.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2022 11:39 am

White smoke is usually coolant combusting with the gas or more likely, condensation due to temperature differences.  My guess is the "smoke" went away once the scoot warmed up a bit.  

Keep an eye on your coolant resevoir level (under front fairing/cowl, upper left hand side ... you'll see a cutout for the coolant bottle and fluid level lines).  Check occasionally for the next few trips out.  if level remains the same, it's likely not the coolant but simply condensation vapour.

Blue smoke is usually oil burning, black smoke usually indicates unburnt fuel ... or your scoot is on fire ... lol
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1553
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2022 2:11 pm

I get white smoke on every start. Only the density differs depending on ambient temperature. It's much less evident on warm days.

Goes away after a short warm up.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 4:16 pm

Well the bike is consuming oil as I just went to check the levels and its down past the minimum level , I guess the real question is which part of the engine is worn at 40K miles to allow some oil to seep past into the bores.

Could it be the valve guides or the rings or summit else, the plugs were checked and found to be dry and tan in colour so its not a huge issue but is bound to get worse not better.

Should I keep her or pass her on mmmmmmm i like keeping my bikes but the Swing is a PITA to work on given the bodywork but I guess it could be a opportunity to give her some TLC for all the good times we have had together ......hey honey whats your fancy, a flowed head or a rebore and some new rings !!!
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 6:49 pm

40K on a Honda engine should be just a nice start on getting broken in, me I'd be sure before I started tearing into things.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 8:20 pm

cello33 wrote:
Well the bike is consuming oil as I just went to check the levels and its down past the minimum level , I guess the real question is  which part of the engine is worn at 40K miles to allow some oil to seep past into the bores.

Could it be the valve guides or the rings or summit else, the plugs were checked and found to be dry and tan in colour so its not a huge issue but is bound to get worse not better.

Should I keep her or pass her on mmmmmmm i like keeping my bikes but the Swing is a PITA to work on given the bodywork but I guess it could be a opportunity to give her some TLC for all the good times we have had together ......hey honey whats your fancy, a flowed head or a rebore and some new rings  !!!

Um… You could hook up a vacuum meter and see what it tells you about the condition of the valve guides and/or valve seating. You might also want to do a compression test.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 8:22 pm

Did you check the air cleaner chamber breather/drain hose for presence of oil ??, is on LH side, area in front of centerstand upper pivot point, clear hose with plastic cap.

Is odd your spark plugs are dry, it could also be the "pair system" air injection system sucking oil thru bad Gaskets/O rings on valve cover dowel pins, this go directly to exhaust ports, rare failure, have you had valve cover off ??

40k is nothing on a Silverwing engine.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 10:01 am

Have you checked air filter lately Smoking Exhaust 1f623  ?? Mine looked like this at 10K Surprised

Smoking Exhaust Sw9_211
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Smoking Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking Exhaust   Smoking Exhaust I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smoking Exhaust
Page 1 of 1