Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
Brian Goobacheck
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Brian Goobacheck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2021-10-24

Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on Empty
PostSubject: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 1:03 am

Hello fellow Silverwingers,

Long time lurker, first time poster! 2010 Silverwing over here.

I've recently had an issue with my headlight (both high and low beams) not turning on. Here's what I've tested so far:

1. New bulbs for both, nothing.
2. Taking a test light to the fuse box. All good.
3. Wiggling stuff around...a lot
4. Test light to the harness connecting all the front lights. The colors that matched the headlights (Grey, White and Blue) all did not have juice coming out of them.

So, I'm wondering if it's two things: 1. The Low Beam Relay, which is, I believe, right next to the Fan Motor Relay (Which, if I'm not mistaken, are these):

Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on S-l225

If so, would you just get a replacement relay like this? There is no specific low beam relay, correct? It's nothing "special"?

2. There is some other connection getting in the way between the fuse box and I'm not aware or...

3. There is some kind of frayed wire situation somewhere in the wiring along the way...which might involve some serious teardown.

At any rate, I should be out tomorrow seeing if jumping anything works. But I'm not sure if that causes long term damage or the like, or overtaxes the wires and makes them hotter than normal, since it's trying to open more current up?...I'm nowheres near an electrician so please, feel free to correct the heck out of me!

Like I said, I'll be around so I'm happy to take pictures.
Back to top Go down
Brian Goobacheck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 1:07 am

And let me also add this...

5. I opened the dimmer switch to clean inside of it. Prior to the lights totally cutting out, sometimes at start, they would be off. When this happened, I found blowing the horn turned the light back on. So I do/did wonder if there was some break in a wire headed that way. Hmmm....
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 10:04 am

Hello Brian.

Open up that dimmer/horn switch housing again and spritz the contacts with electrical contact cleaner. Do the same on the right side switches —especially the push-to-start switch. The PTS switch also kills the power to the headlights when starting the bike. Dirty, corroded contacts there have also been known to cause the headlights not to come back ON after being released. So give all the contacts a good spritzing.

Please let us know how you get on with this issue. We all benefit from shared information.
Back to top Go down
Brian Goobacheck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 7:08 pm

Well, sadly, no luck on the low beam relay. I did a test light with the relay out of the socket and two of them lite up, two of them didn't, so I'm guessing that is good, since it would mean that two are live and two are ground. Also switched the relays around to no avail, troubleshooting if one was bad.

I actually ended up breaking the housing on one taking it out and got a domestic replacement. It was $16 at Advanced Auto. Here is a link to it. Even though it says it doesn't fit, it does...I guess I can't post the link since I'm new...so if you want to know, just message me.

Here is proof:

Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on Wjuamu10

I did try to jump one of the blinker lights (with a 14 gage wire) and did get a temporary glimmer from the bulb but it faded and then both blinker bulbs wouldn't lite up until I turned the key on and off again.

I haven't yet cleaned off the kill switch and starter side of things. I'm actually curious if that would do anything, as according to the wiring diagram, the only thing they have in common with the headlight is the ground. My thought is that is simply terminates everything that way versus some kind of switch to turn off the headlight. Here is that section of the wiring diagram and does share a Gray ground:

Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on 0LhnIL8

I did my best to trace everything I could for the headlight and where it goes. Here is the wiring diagram and other than the dimmer switch, I'm just plain stuck on where else it could go. Like I said in a previous post, I did clean it. I ended up taking apart the small contact and giving it the wire brush, but I didn't test light it. It appears the wires are covered in some sort of epoxy to help with longevity. On top of which, when I closed it up, it doesn't shut properly...argh...

Here are my traces on a wiring diagram. I had to piece this together in paint because Acrobat is being a jerk. I'm happy to expand this further out:

Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on 0tiLScZ

It seems to go right to that lo beam relay and then to the dimmer, only making a detour to the dash light to tell you that the high beam is on.

Speaking of which, the high beam light on the dash is not coming on. I re-checked the dimmer switch and it's clean and has been taken to the wire brush. So, I'm wondering if it's the dimmer switch itself (although it looks perfectly fine) or it has something to do further with this mystery blue being disconnected somewhere.

At any rate, the mystery continues...I called a shop and left a message and we'll see if they'll take her in. So many places won't, even here near downtown Denver. I'm just afraid this might mean a major tear down and cutting into all this wiring wrap to find the bad lead...sigh.

Anyone know a good aftermarket headlight I could easily wire in in it's place? Honestly, and this is going to sound terrible, but to make it barely legal, I've just strapped a powerful headlamp on the front. It's just enough to see and be seen.

Okay, that's it for now...sun is going down. Tomorrow is another day.
Back to top Go down
Brian Goobacheck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 7:52 pm

I guess I could at least post the part number...Car Quest RAA1238. For the relay.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 11:45 am

Oh my goodness. I also tried spraying both the dimmer switch and the starter switch with an electronics spray and the day after they came on for only a short time and now still off three days later.
Am I correct in believing if it was a relay that it either works or does not and there is no in-between.
I can understand if one of the switches is malfunctioning because there is a metallic contact there is more of a possibility of a on off problem. Fortunately, I have fog lights so i'm not completely in the dark.
I'm not wanting to remove the fairing unless I absolutely have to in order to replace the relay's if that apparently does not fix the problem.
the fuse is good.

Now 5 days later I took off both switches again and sprayed
a lot of WD-40 on both and still nothing.

Last edited by johnd on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 5:49 pm

johnd wrote:
Oh my goodness. I also tried spraying both the dimmer switch and the starter switch with an electronics spray and the day after they came on for only a short time and now still off three days later.
Am I correct in believing if it was a relay that it either works or does not and there is no in-between. (Snip)

You are correct, sir. There’d be no in-between.

A chinesium relay could possibly get water contamination and become erratic. But certainly not a sealed Honda relay.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2021 1:43 pm

Headlights.
I am again a very happy camper,  thanks to this wonderful website.  I purchased the starter switch from the dealership about $ 60.00 and went to work removing  the front fairing because it was the only way. As I started taking apart the switch itself I noticed a wire was disconnected.
Excellent. Then I knew I was on the right track. I ordered some led lights from Amazon $ 20.00 because they are reported to be a brighter and whiter light. Thay are a Hi/Low beam that put out 6500K white light. The information sais 180% Brighter and brodder than OEM light. I turned on the bike at night to see what thay looked loke and really like the upgrade.
Now that I have the fixit bug, I'm going to order more spray paint from Colorrite and  make it pretty.  It's an 08 with 50,000 miles on it so it in need of some TLC. TENDER LOVING CARE.
There is one difference in the new switch and that's when you turn the key off it does not turn the scooter off so it needs to be turned off at the kill switch.
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2021-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2023 7:40 pm

Just tapped mine and restarted and lights flickered and came on… was the START BUTTON!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2024 3:49 am

I had the problem with both headlights not working - as I was leaving for work at 4am! Fiddled and restarted a couple of times and happily got it working to get me to work in the pitch dark! Was marshaling a road cycle race - starting at sparrows.
Got it to my Fixit guy on the way home and it was also the 'start' button on the RHS handlebar. However, my bike is super high mileage so the contacts for the light on/off, had just been worn down so badly they were no longer contacting.
Some soldering later, everything is working as normal again. Lucky for me - his daily job is fixing fiddly electronics in luxury vehicles, so nothing came apart in his hands.. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1549
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2024 10:23 am

Glad you got it sorted so easily. MY SW is old and although the starter switch seems OK, my light switch feels really nasty sometimes so I know where to look if I get problems with it.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Switch   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2024 9:05 am

It was at around 50,000 miles that both my starter switch and turn signal stopped working within three months of each other.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on   Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on
Page 1 of 1