Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brake Caliper mounting bolts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Brake Caliper mounting bolts Empty
PostSubject: Brake Caliper mounting bolts   Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 5:00 pm

Good day to all.  A little story to set the mood .....
September is my month every two years for an MVI on my 2005 Silverwing.

I had thought the MVI required more than 3/32" of tread depth to render a pass of the inspection.  And ... my rear tire was just on the line for that tread depth.

So I ordered a tire from my local dealer and had the tire in hand about 10 days later.  ( I went with another Michelin Power Pure.)  So I removed the rear wheel all set to take it to a shop for the switch.  But decided to check with Motor vehicle requirements for this tread depth and found they want 2/32".  That isn't much but for the amount of riding I'm doing that amount of rubber may last a while ; and why waste a tire with a bit of life left.  To be sure, since the local dealer will probably be the inspection station, I called to check their take on the matter.  Yup 2/32" tread will pass.   So I started the re-assemble.

Checking the rear brakes I found lots of brake pad and enough rotor thickness.  The front pads were thin and questionable so I replaced the pads.  To complete the job I grabbed my trusty torque wrench and proceeded with caution.  All done and snugged but wanted to check the rear caliper bolts without the torque wrench.  Just gave them a bit of pressure with the socket and driver.  

MISTAKE ! ! !

I broke one of the two M8X50 Flange Bolts.  The other one looked stressed.  So off to the dealer for two bolts.... or so I thought.  Not in stoke nor in stock at Honda Canada.  Earliest estimated delivery was mid November and maybe not until January.  Off to a bolt supplier ...no luck.  I did find M8x50 Hex Head Cap Screws at Princess Auto (Similar to the US Lowes) And with a washer this should work.   But my question ...... Does anyone have a recommendation of a supplier of these bolts.  Partzilla has them but they don't ship to Canada, as far as I can tell.

Moral of this story ....trust your torque wrench. Your comments will be appreciated.

Mike

Last edited by Mike from NS on Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Brake Caliper mounting bolts   Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 5:18 pm

First, the Princess Auto equivalent in the USA is Harbor Freight. Lowes is more like Home Depot or Rona.

Second, we have a Bolts Plus where I live. They usually carry every shape and size of bolt, nut, screw and fastener I've ever needed. Also, our local Fastenal store usually has all kinds of fasteners as well but I find them pricier. Another name we can access is Debrasco or something like that. I obvious don't shop there but I have driven by it.

Since you know the bolt you want, perhaps asking the aliens (Google it) will help? It's likely going to be an industrial/commercial hardware supplier that will carry what you want. Good Luck Mike.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Brake Caliper mounting bolts   Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Maybe try a local motorcycle wrecker; they usually have a bin full of surplus fasteners, and the Silverwing will use a common size across lots of Hondas.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Brake Caliper mounting bolts   Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks for the help ...

Yes Harbor Freight is what I had in mind.

I stopped at Fastenal in Dartmouth this afternoon. Locked up tighter than a jail. Had to call from the parking lot and got nowhere with that. I see Wurth in Guelph has the bolt in a minimum package of 10 for about $27. I also see Fastenal in Halifax lists the bolt for $1.22. The Dartmouth shop had signage indicating minimum purchase of $20. I haven't checked with TransWorld in Dartmouth yet.

Anyway I think I can find the right bolt now. But those from Princess Auto will do for now.
Again ...thanks for your replies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake Caliper mounting bolts   Brake Caliper mounting bolts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake Caliper mounting bolts
Page 1 of 1