Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Charging point
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Flipdog Today at 10:27 am

» Whose a Lucky Boy Then?
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Today at 10:21 am

» Ultimate 1 up touring machine
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby skidders Today at 8:06 am

» The site and domain name will continue for the next year !!!
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» 2002 Burgundy SilverWing For Sale $1475 OBO
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Dutch SilverWing Yesterday at 4:39 pm

» Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Yesterday at 10:29 am

» Backrest for sale
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Ejscoot Yesterday at 9:37 am

» Headlight (Low and High) won't turn on
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Brian Goobacheck Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:52 pm

» Honda 350 Forza 500 miles in.
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby smellybeard Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:34 pm

» Greetings from the Rockies!
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Brian Goobacheck Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:57 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Belt advice.

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
zrx212
MikeO
Fireman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fireman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2021-08-28

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 12:51 pm

Question I have just bought ( 4 weeks ago ) a 2011 swing with 4390 on it. The question will the old belt be okay to carry on riding, or would be better to renew that and ancilliaries just to be safe.

If so does anyone know garage near Liverpool Uk who could do it. I dont want to go to somewhere that does not know what they are doing. Fireman.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3527
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 2:34 pm

This is what I'd do, knowing that others will have different ideas:

I gave up doing any mechanical work many moons ago.
For peace of mind I'd have the belt changed and, possibly, some further service work - oil and filters, etc.
I would Google for Honda motorcycle dealers in Liverpool (I did and there are some) and select one.
Then I'd either phone round or visit a couple to see what's what then book it in to have the work done.
Inevitably, it will cost more than DIY or finding a 'back street' garage but you will have a starting point.
Afterwards, I'd look around for somewhere for future work; you'll have plenty of time before the bike will need another service or belt change.
As I said: it's what I'd do. Smile

Having said that, the belt is probably fine.

Last edited by MikeO on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 11:32 am

In general anything made with rubber has a shelf and useable life, regardless of mileage, at 10yrs both your tires and belt have exceeded that, I would not take a chance on either.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3818
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 12:48 pm

In that case I'd better change that packet of Durex condoms I've been carrying around in my wallet the since the mid-Eighties then. There's still two left in the packet.  Smile
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 3:09 pm

At our age the extra stiffness of the rubber might be useful 🤣
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 760
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 4:40 pm

I remember the smell of burning rubber, but then I got a Silverwing small moped

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1167
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 9:40 pm

Meldrew wrote:
In that case I'd better change that packet of Durex condoms I've been carrying around in my wallet the since the mid-Eighties then. There's still two left in the packet.  Smile

I'll have to give you two thumbs up on that one sarcasm at it's best.   Belt advice. 1f44d Belt advice. 1f44d

Old belts aren't good who likes walking.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 760
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 am

Very true, it's difficult to walk with your trousers round your ankles.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 5:38 pm

MikeO wrote:
... snipped ... Having said that, the belt is probably fine.

I agree with MikeO and if it were me, I would continue using it.

If you're handy and worried enough, pull of the black cover (Honda calls it the Left Rear Driven Pulley/Clutch Cover) at the back, left bottom of the bike which protects the belt. There are about 8 bolts ... some are different lengths so keep track of which ones go where. You can pull the cover and then do a visual inspection of the belt looking for any cracks, deterioration, missing cogs etc.

Personally I would not bother measuring it because of the low miles. If the visual inspection produces no big issues, you can vacuum then wipe out the belt housing as best you can and get rid of any of the excess rubber dust that you will inevitably find in the housing. Then replace the cover using the same bolts from the same holes to re-secure it and go for a nice ride. Don't for get about the pint when you get home after riding as your reward.
Back to top Go down
Fireman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 2:00 am

HI Sonuvabug. Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I have just dowsized to the Swing after 48 years riding bikes. I have had all kinds and makes over the years, but I have just got rid of my Yamaha Trike, my Yamaha bike and my Honda Blackbird. They were getting too heavy for me to move around. I never thought I would ever ride a scooter, but when I seen this one up for sale, I thought why not give it a go, I can always sell it if I didnt like it.

Wow was I in for a surprise, a great bike all round. You take care over there. Safe riding.

Hoping all okay in Ontario Canada.

From an ex Liverpool Fireman Uk. aka Fireman.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 12:51 pm

WOW ... that's quite a collection of rides you've owned and liquidated Fireman.  I describe my SWing as a Jack of all things and a Master of a few of them when describing it to fellow motorcyclists who are curious about it.  Which bike do you miss the most and why?    

Regarding Canada generally and Ontario province specifically, the fourth COVID wave is sweeping across our land despite Ontario having 80% of our eligible population double vaccinated and 86% single dosed.  The good news (if there is such a thing with COVID) is it's mostly the unvaccinated that are getting really sick now.   The bad news is they are tying up precious medical resources.  

Our front line medical people are exasperated and exhausted taking care of the Cov-idiots on top of those legitimately suffering from other ailments.

Our provincial government recently announced they will be implementing triage protocols for hospital ICU resources.  Many citizens are hoping that single and non-vaccers will be assigned a much lower place on the priority list regarding access to medical assistance than those who have taken steps to protect themselves and other community members from this debilitating virus.

Be careful ... stay healthy!
Back to top Go down
Fireman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 1:22 pm

HI Sonuvabug. If I had to pick one of my bikes I would have to go with the Yamaha XJ1300SP. I bought it brand new in 2004. Great bike, but couldnt get round the wind battering me on the motorway.

Sorry to hear about your Covid. I reckon we in the Uk are in for another lockdown during the winter.

You stay safe. Take care. Fireman ( Dave ).
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 6:29 pm

zrx212 wrote:
In general anything made with rubber has a shelf and useable life, regardless of mileage, at 10yrs both your tires and belt have exceeded that, I would not take a chance on either.
  I stand by my previous statement, only will add, I recommend replace belt, etc., for safety. Buying a used vehicle is kinda "like a box of chocolates"..., 
Unless the P/O gave you some kind of service records or you know scooters history, is best to go thru and check everything, is what I do. 

Good Luck  Belt advice. 1f60e
Back to top Go down

Belt advice.
Page 1 of 1