Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Marvincon Today at 8:49 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:05 am

» Earth cable stress
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 11:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:50 am

» Cooling fan still running
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Belt advice.

Go down 
+11
The Dude
john grinsel
BrianInVA
mfgts
sonuvabug
Mech 1 twa
Loosemarbles
steve_h80
Meldrew
zrx212
MikeO
15 posters
AuthorMessage

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 5:51 pm

Question I have just bought ( 4 weeks ago ) a 2011 swing with 4390 on it. The question will the old belt be okay to carry on riding, or would be better to renew that and ancilliaries just to be safe.

If so does anyone know garage near Liverpool Uk who could do it. I dont want to go to somewhere that does not know what they are doing. Fireman.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 7:34 pm

This is what I'd do, knowing that others will have different ideas:

I gave up doing any mechanical work many moons ago.
For peace of mind I'd have the belt changed and, possibly, some further service work - oil and filters, etc.
I would Google for Honda motorcycle dealers in Liverpool (I did and there are some) and select one.
Then I'd either phone round or visit a couple to see what's what then book it in to have the work done.
Inevitably, it will cost more than DIY or finding a 'back street' garage but you will have a starting point.
Afterwards, I'd look around for somewhere for future work; you'll have plenty of time before the bike will need another service or belt change.
As I said: it's what I'd do. Smile

Having said that, the belt is probably fine.

Last edited by MikeO on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2020-12-27

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 4:32 pm

In general anything made with rubber has a shelf and useable life, regardless of mileage, at 10yrs both your tires and belt have exceeded that, I would not take a chance on either.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 5:48 pm

In that case I'd better change that packet of Durex condoms I've been carrying around in my wallet the since the mid-Eighties then. There's still two left in the packet.  Smile
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm

At our age the extra stiffness of the rubber might be useful 🤣
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 9:40 pm

I remember the smell of burning rubber, but then I got a Silverwing small moped

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2021 2:40 am

Meldrew wrote:
In that case I'd better change that packet of Durex condoms I've been carrying around in my wallet the since the mid-Eighties then. There's still two left in the packet.  Smile

I'll have to give you two thumbs up on that one sarcasm at it's best.   Belt advice. 1f44d Belt advice. 1f44d

Old belts aren't good who likes walking.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Very true, it's difficult to walk with your trousers round your ankles.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 10:38 pm

MikeO wrote:
... snipped ... Having said that, the belt is probably fine.

I agree with MikeO and if it were me, I would continue using it.

If you're handy and worried enough, pull of the black cover (Honda calls it the Left Rear Driven Pulley/Clutch Cover) at the back, left bottom of the bike which protects the belt. There are about 8 bolts ... some are different lengths so keep track of which ones go where. You can pull the cover and then do a visual inspection of the belt looking for any cracks, deterioration, missing cogs etc.

Personally I would not bother measuring it because of the low miles. If the visual inspection produces no big issues, you can vacuum then wipe out the belt housing as best you can and get rid of any of the excess rubber dust that you will inevitably find in the housing. Then replace the cover using the same bolts from the same holes to re-secure it and go for a nice ride. Don't for get about the pint when you get home after riding as your reward.
Back to top Go down

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 7:00 am

HI Sonuvabug. Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I have just dowsized to the Swing after 48 years riding bikes. I have had all kinds and makes over the years, but I have just got rid of my Yamaha Trike, my Yamaha bike and my Honda Blackbird. They were getting too heavy for me to move around. I never thought I would ever ride a scooter, but when I seen this one up for sale, I thought why not give it a go, I can always sell it if I didnt like it.

Wow was I in for a surprise, a great bike all round. You take care over there. Safe riding.

Hoping all okay in Ontario Canada.

From an ex Liverpool Fireman Uk. aka Fireman.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 pm

WOW ... that's quite a collection of rides you've owned and liquidated Fireman.  I describe my SWing as a Jack of all things and a Master of a few of them when describing it to fellow motorcyclists who are curious about it.  Which bike do you miss the most and why?    

Regarding Canada generally and Ontario province specifically, the fourth COVID wave is sweeping across our land despite Ontario having 80% of our eligible population double vaccinated and 86% single dosed.  The good news (if there is such a thing with COVID) is it's mostly the unvaccinated that are getting really sick now.   The bad news is they are tying up precious medical resources.  

Our front line medical people are exasperated and exhausted taking care of the Cov-idiots on top of those legitimately suffering from other ailments.

Our provincial government recently announced they will be implementing triage protocols for hospital ICU resources.  Many citizens are hoping that single and non-vaccers will be assigned a much lower place on the priority list regarding access to medical assistance than those who have taken steps to protect themselves and other community members from this debilitating virus.

Be careful ... stay healthy!
Back to top Go down

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 6:22 pm

HI Sonuvabug. If I had to pick one of my bikes I would have to go with the Yamaha XJ1300SP. I bought it brand new in 2004. Great bike, but couldnt get round the wind battering me on the motorway.

Sorry to hear about your Covid. I reckon we in the Uk are in for another lockdown during the winter.

You stay safe. Take care. Fireman ( Dave ).
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2020-12-27

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 11:29 pm

zrx212 wrote:
In general anything made with rubber has a shelf and useable life, regardless of mileage, at 10yrs both your tires and belt have exceeded that, I would not take a chance on either.
  I stand by my previous statement, only will add, I recommend replace belt, etc., for safety. Buying a used vehicle is kinda "like a box of chocolates"..., 
Unless the P/O gave you some kind of service records or you know scooters history, is best to go thru and check everything, is what I do. 

Good Luck  Belt advice. 1f60e
Back to top Go down
mfgts
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-04-16

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 8:53 pm

My Swing had 2k on it when I got it last fall. It's a 2012.
Also being skeptical about all things rubber, I checked the belt after another 1K. Looks like new. Measured it too. And then there's the "feel" of the rubber. Rubber itself can last a long time if it doesn't dry out, so if kept in an enclosed environment it will deteriorate slower. Apparently mine had sat in a climate controlled garage for the last 8 or 9 years and wasn't exposed to much. I have 8k on the belt now and gave it a look when I changed the gear oil (which should also be changed if it's just been sitting there) and it still looks good. Wish I could say the same for the back tire!!!
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-18

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 11:28 pm

When I talked to my local Honda dealership about my 2006 SWing with 7,000 miles, I asked them whether I needed to change the belt due to its age. I already ordered and received a GBoost replacement belt. They said it should be fine for 15,000 miles, even being 16 years old. Later that day I spoke with an older independent motorcycle mechanic and asked him the same question. He answered the same way, that even with 16 years on the original belt, it will be fine for a total of 15,000 miles, minimum. So my new belt is still under my seat for now.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 11:35 pm

Hope you do not end up walking. People who have given advice probably have never ridden the miles with rubber band drive scooter. old belt=change in my book....and I have ridden over 400,000 miles with rubber band drive scooters.....OEM belts seem to work best.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-18

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 3:16 am

john grinsel wrote:
Hope you do not end up walking.   People who have given advice probably have never ridden the miles with rubber band drive scooter.  old belt=change in my book....and I have ridden over 400,000 miles with rubber band drive scooters.....OEM belts seem to work best.
I grew up on snowmobiles. They had a similar belt and cvt drive as our scooters. We put so many thousands of miles on ancient sleds with their ancient belts, with far greater frictional resistance, that I’m not too worried about a low mileage 16 year old modern aramid reinforced scooter belt.

I keep my AAA Plus up to date and my cell phone is always on me, so I’m not too worried about walking. Cars break down and need a tow occasionally, and bikes are no different. Fortunately I’ve seen far more broken down Harleys on the side of the road than any metric bike.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 12:09 pm

Think about getting run over from behind.....when your belt breaks.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-21

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 7:55 pm

BrianInVA wrote:
When I talked to my local Honda dealership about my 2006 SWing with 7,000 miles, I asked them whether I needed to change the belt due to its age. I already ordered and received a GBoost replacement belt. They said it should be fine for 15,000 miles, even being 16 years old. Later that day I spoke with an older independent motorcycle mechanic and asked him the same question. He answered the same way, that even with 16 years on the original belt, it will be fine for a total of 15,000 miles, minimum. So my new belt is still under my seat for now.

I would still do my own belt inspection. The belt, regardless of all the fancy acronyms, is still largely rubber, which does not age well just sitting around doing nothing, let alone spinning around in a clutch housing.

If a snowmobile belt fails, you likely will not be subject to the same forces of a scooter doing 60 or 70. Snow is also a bit more forgiving than asphalt.

If your 17 year old belt (could be older depending on the age of the belt when it was installed and when your bike was actually manufactured) is still supple (very doubtful) and doesn't show any degradation, cracking or dry rot, you are probably fine. I guess my question would be why risk it? Quite simple actually to swap it out using information from this forum.  scratch

A failed drive belt at highway speeds could have very unpredictable and potentially catastrophic results. It would be a shame for the EMT's pealing you off the pavement to find your brand new belt among the wreckage. JMHO
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2022-05-12

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 8:02 pm

Following this thread with interest. Do we know then the OEM belts were actually made, I mean could they have sat on a shelf 10-12years before getting sold? Do they have a "sell by" date so we could check, anyone know? thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 9:08 pm

I guess we're in the lap of the gods. Honda probably stop making parts for the SW by the end of the production run. This probably goes for all kinds of perishable spares, from all manufacturers.

I think it's a 'given' that all types of plastic and rubber deteriorate with age.

I have always replaced belts on all my vehicles regardless of mileage or age. Walking in bike gear has never appealed to me so just play it safe. That way you get to know the history of your bike.  thumbs up
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2018-07-09

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 10:11 pm

Belts are tougher then you think, buy a replacement belt, yes whip the cover off and inspect it for broken teeth and detoriation but in all honesty i think all will be well for years to come.

Replace the belt if you want and keep the old one as a spare.

Loose some weight and then your trousers will fit you or just buy the correct size next time.

Happy Swinging Fella
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2022 9:36 am

This drive belt issue is generating endless worrying and speculation. I can’t recall any posts I've read on here about a members belt breaking out on the road.

It isn’t a problem if you know the mileage of the belt, when it's due for it's next change, and change it at or maybe before the recommended mileage.

Then there's no need for these big bags of extra tools, home made holding tools, a spare new belt, the old belt you had changed in case it broke but it's comforting to have along like a toddlers blankie. Even if you are confident of your roadside mechanical skills.

There's now concerns about how long a new belt has been hanging about in a parts bin before someone buys it.    Rolling Eyes

Isn't it easier just to get out there and do some riding.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2022 11:49 am

Here here, second that just get out and ride.

As people have said and I would do exactly the same, leave the belt it is within the mileage criteria,

I also never knew John had ridden all those miles on scooters he has never mentioned it before!,,, Belt advice. 1f634
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2022 1:28 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Isn't it easier just to get out there and do some riding.

Last word. Thread locked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Belt advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice.   Belt advice. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt advice.
Page 1 of 1