Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Belt advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
P Butter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
P Butter

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-10-30

Belt advice  Empty
PostSubject: Belt advice    Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Hey Guys and Gals , My burning question is all the different answers I am seeing on belt . I have seen replace at 20 k I have seen a manual say at 10 K ouch . My next question is for those that own the bike .
What mileage when change belt light comes on ?. And what damage to bike other than belt breaking if that happens ?.
Thanks to all
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Belt advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice    Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 1:37 pm

The "V" light comes on at 16,000 miles. Nothing happens if you don't change the belt at that time. i've extended the belt change as much as 21,000 miles and that belt showed no signs of damage or wear at that point. However most of the time I'll replace the belt somewhere between 16k and 20k, whenever it was convenient.

There have been rare reports of belt failure (shredding) but those incidents haven't seemed to coincide with failure to replace the belt at a recommended interval.

The belt is relatively easy to change with a few basic metric tools and an easily fabricated special tool to hold the variator pulley. Best parts prices I've found are from Partzilla.com

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Belt advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice    Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 2:36 pm

As Tim said the Honda recommendations are for the belt to be replaced at 16,000 miles. Quite a few people have extended that to 20,000 miles and more with no reported problems. I usually replace at Hondas reconditioned 16,000 because I feel $125 and 45 minutes of work for 16,000 miles worry free riding is worth it. After all most people will get two to four years out of a belt. The 2007 I bought used only had 7,500 miles on it so that's almost eight years already and if you wanted to stick with Hondas recommendations that rider could have went 14 to 15 years if he trusted the rubber that long.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Belt advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice    Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 pm

I just did my winterizing , The belt was still on specs after 44 k kl  .I did replace the belt with a OEM belt.I think the secret for long belt life ,is to engage slowly then do the acceleration . It will also increase the clutch life of the secondary clutch pads. If your V light keeps coming on replace the primary clutch sheaves,and your V light will not come before it's time . I had to replace mine at 30 k kl due to aggressive riding. Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Belt advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice    Belt advice  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 8:05 pm

I replaced mine at 15K and there was very little wear.  Probably could have got 20K easily but I seldom push items like that too far.  Replacing a belt on the side of the road is not my idea of "fun" while on a trip!!!  And yes, play it safe and use an OEM belt.  I agree with the above that Partzilla is the way to go for the best prices.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Belt advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt advice    Belt advice  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt advice
Page 1 of 1