Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)

Go down 
+4
Cosmic_Jumper
Loosemarbles
john grinsel
XDM©
8 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) Empty
PostSubject: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 12:17 pm

So I just got to 16,000 miles and my V light is on. All the manual says is go see Honda dealer, but some people online say just inspect the belt and some people say replace it at that time. Since I brought this used at 5100 miles I don't know what "good" is. I have some photos and vids and even though I dont know what good looks like THIS doesn't look too good ( the belt looks ok though)
It's supprising how little videos in English there is on cvt cleaning
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) 241_110
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) 240_110
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) 24010

Also I'm not sure or not (I think so) but is the belt supposed to wabble so much?

https://streamable.com/3j6icw

But the belt looks healthy I think

Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) 240_210
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) 240_310

I only did a dry rag clean as I don't know what I can and cannot use in there.
I have these in the ready, break cleaner (which I think I read NOT to put in there.
Machine grease
Dw40

Last edited by XDM© on Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 12:30 pm

Old Bike---at about Honda recommended miles. I would just replace belt with new OEM belt. My experience with SilverWings, 2 new ones, near 100,000 miles, changing belt at Honda recommended miles---never walked. Always carried used belt as spare---dealers probably never have these belts in stock, if you have emergency. I never monkeyed with drive train or made changes, just rode them---bike is scooter and I enjoyed its performance
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1549
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 2:33 pm

Judging by the debris inside the outer shaft along with the scoring on the outer side, my first thoughts are the aluminium casing bearing. Looks like there's a lot of belt dust in there too.

There is a lot of info and advice regarding 'that' bearing on the forum. A belt change wouldn't hurt in any case.

Just my ten-bob's worth.

Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 2:59 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
There is a lot of info and advice regarding 'that' bearing on the forum. A belt change wouldn't hurt in any case.

Just my ten-bob's worth.

Hmm? Is this bearing not oem? Or is something wrong with it?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 3:57 pm

There are two thin O rings which fit on that clutch (outer shaft as Loosemarbles calls it) where it slides into that belt case bearing. If they are missing your should replace them. Then lube them when you put the belt case back on.

Yes, that belt case bearing is OEM. 

Your might want to get some break cleaner spray and clean around that bearing and clean up the belt dust grime. Same with the other half of the belt case when you remove the belt and variator. Well, while you’re at it might as well remove the clutch assembly too. Lock up the rear brake and remove that 22mm nut inside the assembly. It’s only torqued to 40 lb/ft so easy peasy to remove. Then you’ll have full access to clean all that belt dust off everything.

Change the belt (get a Honda belt) and stash the old one under the seat for an (unlikely) emergency.

BTW that clutch outer shaft is not scored. It need to be cleaned before the O-rings are installed.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 3:59 pm

You've got it open, it's done 16k, so just change the belt- it's a very easy job now it's open.
While you're in there it will be worth pulling the clutch (another easy job) and cleaning the crud out of there too - after 16k miles the belt and clutch shoes create a load of dust.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 5:31 pm

That just looks like 16000 miles of accumulated belt debris to me, I would blow out all the crud with compressed air and then clean the surfaces thoroughly (brake cleaner will be good) and unless there is any visible metal damage, just renew the belt and ride on. There's no lubrication required in any part of the driving variator and you MUST clean any grease carefully from any of the surfaces in contact with the belt.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 10:13 pm

I would recomend a full disassembly/inspect/clean and lube, of front and rear pulleys assemblies, etc.  there's plenty that can go wrong IMO, lot's of how to videos on YouTube and threads on the subject here.
 Before you do anything try to use a good shop vac and and old paint brush to clean most of loose dust 1st., I would not spray too much brake clean, etc., in that area it can attack/damage rubber seals, etc.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 10:21 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
There are two thin O rings which fit on that clutch (outer shaft as Loosemarbles calls it) where it slides into that belt case bearing. If they are missing your should replace them. Then lube them when you put the belt case back on.

Yes, that belt case bearing is OEM. 

Your might want to get some break cleaner spray and clean around that bearing and clean up the belt dust grime. Same with the other half of the belt case when you remove the belt and variator. Well, while you’re at it might as well remove the clutch assembly too. Lock up the rear brake and remove that 22mm nut inside the assembly. It’s only torqued to 40 lb/ft so easy peasy to remove. Then you’ll have full access to clean all that belt dust off everything.

Change the belt (get a Honda belt) and stash the old one under the seat for an (unlikely) emergency.

BTW that clutch outer shaft is not scored. It need to be cleaned before the O-rings are installed.

Thanks for the in depth suggestions.
I have break cleaner, so it's safe to clean the inside of there with that? I'm assuming not the belt itself though right? I also have machine grease. Should I apply some and if so, where?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 10:38 am

When you pull the clutch assembly (Driven Pulley in Honda speak) you can apply some grease to the needle bearing on the inside edge of the assembly. Use a small amount and massage it into that needle bearing.

You’d be best advised to pull both the variator (Drive Pulley in Honda speak) and clutch assemblies so that you can get unencumbered access to clean that debris. And as others have stated, don’t get any grease on the pulley or belt surfaces.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 11:00 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
When you pull the clutch assembly (Driven Pulley in Honda speak) you can apply some grease to the needle bearing on the inside edge of the assembly. Use a small amount and massage it into that needle bearing.

You’d be best advised to pull both the variator (Drive Pulley in Honda speak) and clutch assemblies so that you can get unencumbered access to clean that debris. And as others have stated, don’t get any grease on the pulley or belt surfaces.
Ok got it, thanks everyone. I'm going to replace that as I do speed quite a bit on it. Better safe then sorry.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 1:47 pm

" Thanks for the in depth suggestions.
I have break cleaner, so it's safe to clean the inside of there with that? I'm assuming not the belt itself though right? I also have machine grease. Should I apply some and if so, where? "

"Ok got it, thanks everyone. I'm going to replace that as I do speed quite a bit on it. Better safe then sorry."

Like I mentioned before brake clean is not my go to choice to clean that area, too many rubber parts, a water soluble degreaser should be good, spray on, rinse off, let dry, if you use simple green or any caustic cleaner rinse area well and promptly

You really need to do your research, follow the shop manual, and/or find a knowledgeable person/mechanic, proper tools, etc. BTW there specific types of grease for cvt, usually very hi temperature tolerant, etc. More importantly you should not mix different types of grease, it could have a chemical reaction and harden or liquify the grease, IME my SW at 10k had hardened grease and some damaged bearings and other parts, etc., I could see clearly that 2 types of grease where used in the rear pulley assy., Do it right or pay twice !!

There's two ways to approach this clean area well, install new belt and go !!, if you are OCD like me ....

Here's some pics of mine, circled bad parts, everything else changed by choice , BTW all parts sourced from Ron Ayers, cheapest by far.

Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) Sw8711
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) Sw8810
Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) Sw9211
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Update: just changed the belt and cleaned the rollers and interior. Man does it feel smoother😀
Back to top Go down
trooth2u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trooth2u

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am

Since you bought it at 5100, it was due for a belt change at 8000! If you haven't done it by 16,000, you are way overdue!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 8:58 pm

Honda shop manual pg. 3-3, calls for inspect belt at 12k miles, replace belt at 16K miles, kinda weird schedule. IMO CVT cover should be removed yearly, to inspect belt/area and at a minimum clean dust from CVT components and filter, IAC keeps everything operating better IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)   Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solved!: Any tips for taking care of the CVT area? (First time for me)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: