Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fitting replacement centre stand

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2020-08-11

Fitting replacement centre stand Empty
PostSubject: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 10:13 am

My Silverwing came to me about a year ago without a centre stand and it's been a nuisance. I finally picked one up this week. The question now is 'what's the easiest way to fit one?' Do I lay it down on its side on the grass or is there an easy and secure way to jack it up? If I lay it down on this side or that, will oil run out of a breather?

Could someone post a close up of it fitted, please. I don't know which way what goes.

I'm really glad I got this because my back tire is really shot at this stage and I wasn't looking forward to changing it.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Really not hard, I removed/installed mine with bike on side stand, just set parking brake to secure bike from moving, hardest part is the spring, I install LH bolt loose , hook spring and use stand itself to force in to alignment for RH bolt hole, not easy but doable, study the parts diagram and make sure of proper locations of hardware and orientation of spring, there is no procedure in shop manual for center stand.
Attachments
Fitting replacement centre stand AttachmentSW83.png
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(97 Kb) Downloaded 15 times
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 2:48 pm

That's great, thanks.
You never know if there's something trivial to watch out for.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 4:03 pm

The spring, instead off trying to stretch it and hook it on take pennies or washers and prestretch the spring in a vice putting the pennies between each coil. Put the spring in place and then pull the pennies out.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Yeah, that's a good one; I used it when working on my BSA A10 but it works best if you stick the washers in before you remove the spring from its lugs and release the tension. For best results, do it while the spring is at maximum tension and the stand not fully down.

The Swing spring has a cover over it though - a little sleeve.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2021 12:21 pm

When I've fitted main stands previously I left the bike on the side stand.
Getting the spring on is the hard bit, I made a long T bar puller thing then ended up lying on the ground with a foot against the back wheel to get enough leverage to pull the spring into place.
I couldn't do the pennies trick because it was a double inner and outer spring.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2021 2:30 pm

It looks like I'm going to be taking the old mounting brackets off and fitting the new stand complete with mounting brackets. Is that something that anyone has done?

I had a St. Patrick's Day spin this morning on the Guzzi sidecar outfiit and spent the rest of the fine day that was in it wire brushing and painting the new stand and it's getting an hour in the oven at 125ºC now.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2021 3:40 pm

Mmmmm, baked mainstand. Delicious 😋
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2021 1:55 pm

All rise!
The job is done.
Easy-peasy, soft and squeezey.

Getting the old mounting plates off was hard enough. Electric impact driver wouldn't fit on the RHS with the exhaust in place and I wasn't taking that off. Heat was required and to continue the culinary theme, the heat was supplied by my mother's old confectioner's blowtorch as used for her world famous Crème Brûlée. Compact little flame and plenty hot and very controllable.

Putting the new stand on was easy - connect up the spring the right way around; prop the stand up in the retracted position with blocks of wood and pop the screws in. The hardest ones where those behind the exhaust.

Now that I have t up on the stand, I don't really like the feel of the back wheel.

Should it run free?
Should there be any clunky-clunky?
I have absolutely no experience with scooters other than this one.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2021 3:24 pm

It should be a bit clunky-clunky, it won't just spin like a 'chain drive in neutral' bike. When you rotate the wheel your also spinning reduction gearing and clutch drum thingies.
Don't worry about it.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2021 3:28 pm

" Now that I have t up on the stand, I don't really like the feel of the back wheel.

Should it run free?
Should there be any clunky-clunky?
I have absolutely no experience with scooters other than this one. "

There's a lot of stuff(if you will) connected to rear wheel on the SW(and most scooters), when you turn the wheel you are turning the rear gearbox assy., wich includes three shafts and a fairly large clutch bell, small friction from several bearings, seals, etc. There's also some gear lash/play present(wich is normal), btw you also have two brake calipers with pads that can also make noise, No, it won't turn freely !!
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2021 3:29 pm

Grand.
The parking brake was a little sticky and rubbing slightly. I never use it. I think my friend who's been using it for a few months might have.

I'll be changing the tires as soon as the new ones arrive. I might look at the clutch and belts after that.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fitting replacement centre stand   Fitting replacement centre stand I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2021 8:30 am

I've used the stand twice since and the result is the 'pedal' is bent out quite a bit. It really isn't able for the loads needed to get the beast up and over from the very shallow angle that the stand makes initial contact with the ground at. From now on, I'll make sure I have help lifting it or have a two inch wooden block to go under the rear wheel first.
Back to top Go down

Fitting replacement centre stand
Page 1 of 1