Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. Empty
PostSubject: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2021 6:09 pm

I have been riding around in the warmer weather now and after a while I noticed that the overbearing smell of what I think is boiling coolant gets overwhelming. But my bike is not overheating and the thermometer is indeed working as it starts cold and if I disable the fan temporarily it can overheat so the thermometer is indeed working. The motor isn't overheating but the tubes near the thermostat seem very hot as I think is pretty normal and the overflow tank is only barely warm with the appropriate amount of coolant in there which is regular colored. there are zero signs of any leaks or drippings anywhere that I can find. I traced every tube and everything is dry no cracks in the line or any abnormalities. Maybe perhaps the coolant is too cheap and I need a higher grade?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2021 6:37 pm

XDM:copyright: wrote:
I have been riding around in the warmer weather now and after a while I noticed that the overbearing smell of what I think is boiling coolant gets overwhelming. But my bike is not overheating and the thermometer is indeed working as it starts cold and if I disable the fan temporarily it can overheat so the thermometer is indeed working. The motor isn't overheating but the tubes near the thermostat seem very hot as I think is pretty normal and the overflow tank is only barely warm with the appropriate amount of coolant in there which is regular colored. there are zero signs of any leaks or drippings anywhere that I can find. I traced every tube and everything is dry no cracks in the line or any abnormalities. Maybe perhaps the coolant is too cheap and I need a higher grade?

Cheap coolant? no matter what brand it has to meet spec. More than likely it's a minor seepage maybe the radiator cap isn't quite locked in place? A little of that stuff goes a long way in the I can smell it category. As it's 50% water evaporation is quick.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2021 11:32 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
XDM:copyright: wrote:

Cheap coolant? no matter what brand it has to meet spec. More than likely it's a minor seepage maybe the radiator cap isn't quite locked in place? A little of that stuff goes a long way in the I can smell it category. As it's 50% water evaporation is quick.

question, if i go open the rad cap, wont that put air in the system? the only time i ever removed that thing was when i blead the whole coolant system in 2019
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 7:47 am

>question, if i go open the rad cap, wont that put air in the system? the only time i ever removed that thing was when i blead the whole coolant system in 2019<

No it shouldn't make any difference. If you're going to check the cap for tightness take a look at the gasket too. What was done last with the cooling system? If the last time you did a system check was 2019 and you just now noticed the smell you may well have developed a small leak, perhaps checking the clamps. I would want to pin point the leak area 1st.
Now last and not least you don't have some " friend " that maybe messing with you like the old put some used motor oil under the motor area stunt I've seen pulled.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 8:36 am

There is a weep hole at the bottom of the pump. You might check that area.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 3:29 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
>question, if i go open the rad cap, wont that put air in the system? the only time i ever removed that thing was when i blead the whole coolant system in 2019<

No it shouldn't make any difference. If you're going to check the cap for tightness take a look at the gasket too. What was done last with the cooling system?  If the last time you did a system check was 2019 and you just now noticed the smell you may well have developed a small leak, perhaps checking the clamps. I would want to pin point the leak area 1st.
Now last and not least you don't have some " friend " that maybe messing with you like the old put some used motor oil under the motor area stunt I've seen pulled.

Actually I have always noticed the smell, even soon after I changed the coolant. But only noticable in the warm weather and ESPECIALLY so when idling in traffic for long.
Also I check my bike every 3 months and then a DEEP check once a year.

Also rad cap is healthy and strong

Here is a little temperature map (red, hot) orange, warm and blue cold)
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. Img_2020
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 8:38 pm

It could be any hose clamp just slightly loose. Coolant turns to steam strong smell just not dripping.
Look for a trace of coolant whatever color you used at hoses or radiator connections. Water pump is on the left side and it hard to see. I had a good photo of pump but new computer it's hard to find it now if it still here. F Get a good flashlight and look everywhere for just a seep.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2021 9:00 pm

Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. Img_2061
Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. Img_2062

Found photos. Top hole is coolant weep hole. Bottom is an oil seal and mine was leaking oil just a drip of oil. Replaced pump no more oil leak. It's not easy to replace water pump. You will find the leak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.   Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front of bike smells sweet like boiling coolant.
Page 1 of 1