Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Gotta do my own service....

Go down 
+5
sonuvabug
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
sc00ter
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Gotta do my own service.... Empty
PostSubject: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 am

I stopped in my local Honda dealer to order a rear tire for my Liberty and to make the Swing a service appointment. Tire order went okay but the service? Yikes, they are BEHIND! Seems that one mechanic got ill, another has family issues, another "apprentice" is flighty on showing up so its down to one guy. He told me I'm more than capable of doing my own service, but I don't want to do my own service. Guess I gotta man up and get it done. Need to do a: oil change, check anti-freeze condition, check brake fluid condition and check air filter. Thankfully the transmission was overhauled recently. So much for being lazy and paying someone. What services do you hate doing?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 10:31 am

tranmission overhauled=what was done? Does SilverWing even have transmission---has belt/clutches and rear end(which has no history of trouble)---my experience SilverWing will run over 50,000 miles with nothing other than oil/filter changes, general checks/tire changes----I hate taking plastic off.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 11:05 am

To Rely on Others is to Seek Disappointment
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 11:20 am

sc00ter wrote:
I stopped in my local Honda dealer to order a rear tire for my Liberty and to make the Swing a service appointment. Tire order went okay but the service? Yikes, they are BEHIND! Seems that one mechanic got ill, another has family issues, another "apprentice" is flighty on showing up so its down to one guy. He told me I'm more than capable of doing my own service, but I don't want to do my own service. Guess I gotta man up and get it done. Need to do a: oil change, check anti-freeze condition, check brake fluid condition and check air filter. Thankfully the transmission was overhauled recently. So much for being lazy and paying someone. What services do you hate doing?

1st what do records show as far as anti freeze and brake fluid? Most anti freeze are 5 year then change now up to 10 years, brake fluid 2 years, note some are and or years / mileage, air filter on mileage.
What do I hate doing? nothing if I can do it Smile now days anything that requires me getting up and down off the floor.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 11:53 am

Its been sitting in a non-climate controlled garage. Never started or ran for well over a year and a half. I do have the battery on a tender. Its been rolled around frequently so I hope there are no flat spots on the tires. I rebuilt the whole transmission before the trike kit was installed. The rear torque driver was an interesting design compared to a my other scooters. I did rebuild the whole front brake assembly while I had the forks off and the tree assembly out for a overhaul. I trust my Honda dealership hands down but they don't know when they can get it in for service so I'm stuck doing it. At least I have some thicker cardboard to lay on while doing the oil. I find I enjoy working on engines less and less as I get older. I do love the Cosmic_Jumper quote about "Disappointment".
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 2:50 pm

sc00ter wrote:
... snipped ... At least I have some thicker cardboard to lay on while doing the oil ... I do love the Cosmic_Jumper quote about "Disappointment".

Love Tim's quote too.  Go to Habor Frieght or some such store and buy yourself a folding mechanics mat and a pair of knee pads.  It'll make the up and down and lying down work so much easier.  I even don't mind checking tire pressures after I open and throw the mat down.  My sweetie borrows the mat all the time to help with her planting/gardening work.

https://www.harborfreight.com/folding-mechanics-pad-93896.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/hard-cap-gel-knee-pads-66124.html
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 7:41 am

To be honest there is nothing I've done to the SW yet that has been a hassle, although if I ever need to go into the engine that might be a different matter.
It takes a while to do some things because of the amount of plastic to remove, but I've got a nice dry garage to work in, I put some music on, ensure ample coffee supplies and I'm as happy as a pig in sh*t. And if anything does get difficult I can down-tools, go have a beer and tackle it another day.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2021 7:13 am

sc00ter, when I bought my Silver Wing, I looked at it and decided it would go to Honda for most EVERYTHING. However since my selling dealer was over 50 miles away, this was a very impractical thought...instead I bought a service manual.

Since then, I have done ALL oil changes, final drive fluid changes, spark plugs, air filter and coolant changed and I would say the worst was the air filter; all the plastic to remove, but with the pictorial on this forum and going slow, no problem and no plastic broken! A friend helped me with the belt change (he had the tools) so that was not a big problem.

I do draw the line at tires,  no desire and not all the tools available so THAT is done at Honda (where I order the tires anyway).  RideNow offers free install if you buy the tires from them so...good luck!
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2021 9:50 am

I personally enjoy working on my Swing watching different You Tubes and reading service manual. Getting the job done correctly gives me a jolt of pride. No longer trust two local dealers in Tucson area.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2021 12:50 pm

john grinsel wrote:
tranmission overhauled=what was done? Does SilverWing even have transmission---has belt/clutches and rear end(which has no history of trouble)---my experience SilverWing will run over 50,000 miles with nothing other than oil/filter changes, general checks/tire changes----I hate taking plastic off.

Yes it does have a transmission, it's kinda has all the components you mentioned + pulleys, etc and it's called a CVT (continuously variable transmission)  tongue
 IAC back on topic, seems like the OP is capable of doing his own maintenance based on previously acomplished work, he just prefers to pay someone and/or avoid the associated hassles, but nowdays "good help is really hard to find" and taking your bike(vehicle) to a shop that's backlog it's probably not smart IMO, I never take any vehicle to shop or dealer unless is warranty work(no way around it), I'm a DIY/DIR(do it right), I guess been a mechanic by trade helps. BTW PSA "do my own service" is very general, but a bike thats been sitting for a while should get a little more than just an oil change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gotta do my own service....   Gotta do my own service.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gotta do my own service....
Page 1 of 1