Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Mr Grinsel’s wild ride

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Mr Grinsel’s wild ride Empty
PostSubject: Mr Grinsel’s wild ride   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2021 4:57 pm

Mr Grinsel. Several times you’re mentioned your rides to Hyder Alaska along with the fact that you tend to ride about 350 miles per day. It’s about 3500 miles between Chattanooga TN and Hyder. Perhaps you could share with us some of your traditional overnight stops in your travel log. At 300 - 400 miles/day for those many trips you probably have a few —even if you don’t approve of the host’s housekeeping or maintaining habits. Not asking you for approval ratings mind you. Just kinda where do you stop for the night.

How about on your return ride: So if you leave Hyder in the morning, where do you stop for the first night... the second night, etc? What’s your strategy for riding those tedious miles across the plains of Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Dakotas? Those miles are mind numbing enough but it must seem like a lifetime if taken in only 350 mile increments.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mr Grinsel’s wild ride   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2021 6:44 am

First I just go, stop when I am tired, with Darien jacket & pants, waterproof Wolverine boots, Aero over mitts, feather jacket liner on underneath ---do not worry about getting cold/wet.

I make no plans, in US use Motels (the old style where you can park in front of door),Fast Food, maybe one nice meal a day---if something is available----goal is to get where I want to go.

Bike/scooter prepared, tools and what I think necessary.  Good tires, scooter spare drive belt, maybe muffler gasket. cheap towing insurance.

Biggest pain with maxi scooter=the buffeting!!   Butt never hurts, get off every hour or 50 miles  and walk around---no hurry.    Maybe once in a while fancy motel with pool.

Like new/fresh 3/4 helmet, foam ear plugs ( can go thru several pair in a day.)

Of course paper maps, old- pee a lot in the woods.   For me this is fun, can be expensive but 66 years of doing it in 15-20 countries is what I do.   Just bought new Chevy Spark, 5 speed, no add on's, spare tire and jack, towing insurance---next 2 wheeler will be smaller motorcycle...as they handle better than scooters....but must have centerstand and way to come up with buffet free weather protection....and do not break!  Fussy with tires.

Dog goes with in box with hole for his head.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Mr Grinsel’s wild ride   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2021 8:52 am

C’mon John, you’ve achieved legend status with all the miles you’ve logged. Thank you for that helpful primer on How I Do It and your preparations. But now that you’ve done that Hyder trip several times, you must have overnighted in or near the same towns more than one time. Can you please share with us where you do it.

So after you leave Chattanooga you’ve gotta head, more or less, northwest. Do you use Interstate highways? Which towns have you stayed in that first night?

After you leave Hyder, you’re going to head southeast. Where have you stayed?

What routes have you taken back across the Plains?

I very much appreciate your preference of paper maps. Once upon a time I hitchhiked from here to Alaska (ultimately Anchorage). A $20 bill in my pocket, paper maps, no credit cards, and no GPS. Yet I made it there. And back too.

Did a road trip with my buddies in 1998 and ended up in Goose Bay Labrador at the, then, end of the Trans Labrador Hwy —when it wasn’t even on a map. No GPS.

More recently I’ve ridden with several guys who are so dependent on GPS that they’ve missed the very “be here now” essence what’s right here in front of them. Yeah, a GPS is nice navigating a strange city, but all ya gotta do is follow the Big Green Signs (BGS) to get anywhere.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Mr Grinsel’s wild ride   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2021 9:45 am

Maps Smile wondering how many of todays youngers can even use them? Except to please the wife I wouldn't have had a GPS unit and the only time I really use it is to keep track of " expected arrival time " that can be handy at times. When one learns they are flawed one appreciate maps. My first long trip in1960 from N.E. o-HI-o to Phoenix Az and return all with paper and no local maps to boot.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Mr Grinsel’s wild ride   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2021 10:13 am

No favorites along the way----but of course can tell the difference between good and bad.

Remember for Canada you need passport, Dog requires valid Rabies shot and record of that.

Several ways to get to Hyder----west to Seattle, then North. Canada West, going the scenic route or just going west and north. I return home different route if I can.

I never ride in group or with anybody....but once in a while, one other person.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Mr Grinsel’s wild ride   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 5:35 am

There is secret to riding long/comfortable and recovering to do it again=the right clothes---you need to stay warm/dry/no jacket flapping/I like bright colors so you can be seen.

Spring 1959, Germany--wet/cold miserable BMW R51/3 1954 model small IDEAL windshield----local garage owner told me about Karl Heinrich and his fairings----Got to the Stuttgart area---found Karl, ordered upper fairing and later lowers, foot shields and small lap blanket----really comfortable riding down the road in all kinds of weather! So that kept me riding.

Then clothes---late 50's in Germany was end of motorcycle boom but there was store in Suttgart, Walter Dillenberg, that if you had the money, they had everything to stay warm and dry----I bought a 3/4 overjacket that was waterproof, with ski jacket under I stayed warm----over pants, Giezna (SP?) with the waterproof feet built in---when the feet wore out, cut them off and used LaCrosse zipper overshoes. Gloves/mitts in 66 years of daily riding never found the ideal/perfect---Today Aero over mitts, cheap WalMart ski gloves work well---think heated grips would be nice---only rode BMW with them once.

Have had English Belstaff and Barbour waxed cottom 2 piece suits---Barbour fits me better---they are expensive now, keep you dry for 8 hours or so--black not safest color...but in time they get dirty, make your hands and wrists dirty.

Early 80's started with Aerostich---lined one piece suits, later 2 piece lined suits---early ones kept you dry for about an hour---great to wear to ride to work in. Wore out 2 one piece, one 2 piece---Recent years Aero Darien, maybe not perfect/ yellow/keep you dry and do not flap in wind---right now on second set, pants and jacket.

In Germany late 80's got BOY winter one piece suit---really warm/dry for winter riding.

Leathers=ok, but not warm or water proof/expensive. Had 2 Langlitz jackets, high quality----pair of Japanese leather pants used for over 30 years.

Boots current Wolverine Waterproof, on second pair of Aero Kombat, they are very comfortable, high quality, keep you feet dry for one day, wet on multi day rides----get old pulling overshoes on=pain in butt.

Electrics---good idea---but on trip to Mexico in Jan. had failure, almost frooze to death---had not extra warm stuff along.So can live without them.

I like light 3/4 helmets at around $40, go thru at least 2 a year----stink, throw away. Safety glasses.

I find modern maxi-scooters quite comfortable/heavy/hard to remove rear wheels---buffeting tiring(once ridden behind Heinrich fairing you are spoiled)

Bottom line---unless you have proper warm/dry gear long riding career ain't fun---I have no need for cup holders/nav/extra seat cushions, or white tennis shoes! I am warm and dry!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Mr Grinsel’s Wild Ride II   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2021 9:35 am

Not to hijack the, Dec 9, 2021, Givi Side Cases topic but… Nice to hear from you Mr Grinsel. Did you move yet? Where are you living now?

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:50 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Split topic from Givi Side Cases topic. Merged topic)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Mr Grinsel’s Wild Ride   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2021 10:45 am

Sold house in TN---cash deal---wanted out before housing crash.  Kymco XTown 300 gone, moving to area with no dealers.  83 in spring---next bike up in air...if any, maybe stop while I am ahead.  Lift sold,too.  In Wi, now enjoying Chevy spark heater.....and enjoying not dressing for weather but did ride thru 67 winters.   Sidecar nice in winter, solo in US can be very dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mr Grinsel’s wild ride   Mr Grinsel’s wild ride I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mr Grinsel’s wild ride
Page 1 of 1