Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Belt replacement

Go down 
+7
Loosemarbles
PeteP
GHM-PM
Mech 1 twa
steve_h80
john grinsel
Easyrider
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 2:22 pm

I always thought that the "V" light would come on at 16k miles. My Swing has 17,400 miles and yet not "V" light. I guess the ECU compares the speed and RPM to determine if the belt is sufficiently worn. My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 3:23 pm

Just change the belt---if you know history of bike from new. OEM work well. Walking sucks....getting run over from behind worse.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 3:42 pm

Someone has reset the belt indicator at some point I'd guess, it won't come on again till 16k from the reset (unless it detects a fault).
The ECU doesn't have any way of detecting belt wear.
If you don't know the history of the bike I would say change the belt, it's easy, cheap and better than walking ,😄
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 9:43 pm

Has anyone really determined if the "V" light reset changes the mileage interval. I reset mine at 13K and it still came on at 16K ??? New belt at that time and still riding with that belt. 28K now will replace it in spring.

Slipping belt or extreme roller-clutch mods. will cause it to light. ECU.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 9:48 pm

I changed my belt at about 14K and the V light came on at about 16K. I carry the reset instructions in my owners manual. My memory these days is not great LOL This is the 1928 Bugatti forum isn't it? santa
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 9:00 am

Interesting. I had assumed resetting would reset the 16k countdown, but it seems not.

This makes sense so that resetting to clear an error won't interrupt the belt change light, although it does mean if you change your belt early you are going to need to rely on your service records to know when it's next due.

So back to the OP query, does the V light have a duff bulb? It should light up briefly on startup.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 9:43 am

Just rely on odomoter/ service records. The light is just another useless light that causes confusion.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 1:16 pm

When I bought my 2007 in August with 6400 miles on it I replaced the belt. The bike is 13 years old and I didn’t know it’s service history (bought from a dealer) so I figured, “Why take a chance?”and just replaced it. I wrote the date and mileage in my service manual so I know when it needs replacing again.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 2:02 pm

I purchased the bike new from a dealer. I think it had 5 miles on the odometer. I keep a log listing all maintenance, and mods done to the bike. So I know that the belt is original. I will change the belt at 20k or until the light comes on.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 4:18 pm

Brum, brum, twang, bugger, walk, walk, walk 😄
Seriously though, I'm still intrigued as to why your V light hasn't come on at 16k.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2020 1:59 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
Brum, brum, twang, bugger, walk, walk, walk 😄
Seriously though, I'm still intrigued as to why your V light hasn't come on at 16k.

Me too! I always thought that it would come on at every 16k miles since the last reset or at 16k miles. I will update this post every 1k miles or if it comes on.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2020 2:26 pm

And if we don't hear from you we'll assume your walking 😆
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2020 8:05 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
And if we don't hear from you we'll assume your walking 😆

Good one Steve! Thank goodness the walk will be short living on an island. I'd be more worried from what John says about being hit from behind when the belt goes.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2020 6:22 am

I bought my SW at 15,000 miles and changed the belt as a simple precaution. The V light came on at 16,000 so I just reset it. Changed the belt again at 30,500 miles, as a precaution, and the light came on at 32,000. So I just reset it again.

Connected to the odometer is my guess. Doesn't explain why Easyrider's light didn't come on though......a dodgy bulb or wire maybe?
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
I bought my SW at 15,000 miles and changed the belt as a simple precaution. The V light came on at 16,000 so I just reset it. Changed the belt again at 30,500 miles, as a precaution, and the light came on at 32,000. So I just reset it again.

Connected to the odometer is my guess. Doesn't explain why Easyrider's light didn't come on though......a dodgy bulb or wire maybe?

That's true it should have come on. I'm trying a G-Boost belt next time it's already in garage waiting till Spring. Flame ON about not using OE belt.Belt replacement Img_2057
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2020 11:16 pm

No flame here. I’m looking forward to your evaluation.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 am

I have read here where some members reported that their "V" light came on on hard acceleration after changing to lighter rollers. Something was comparing speed and RPM.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Easyrider wrote:
I have read here where some members reported that their "V" light came on on hard acceleration after changing to lighter rollers. Something was comparing speed and RPM.

Yep. It happens to me regular like.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Why aye man, this V light mystery is becoming Question bigger than a Sherlock Holmes novel.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 4:07 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Why aye man, this V light mystery is becoming Question bigger than a Sherlock Holmes novel.

I like Sherlock Holmes... 😀
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 am

"I like Sherlock Holmes..."

I watched every episode of the Benedict Cumberbatch series twice, some episodes three times. Brilliant idea to set the character in the present day. "Sherlock" is popular in the States. Same in Britain? Any info on another season forthcoming?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2021 10:10 am

I never took to the modern day version of Sherlock, I much prefer the books and the Jeremy Brett TV series from the early '80s which was closer to the books.
Neither I suspect would be acceptable on TV these days, the story's aren't politically correct and would remind people that the current zeitgeist isn't the way it always was, or always will be.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 8:44 pm

That's true it should have come on. I'm trying a G-Boost belt next time it's already in garage waiting till Spring. Flame ON about not using OEM belt.
Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize

belt - Belt replacement Img_2057 G-Boost

First good ride with new belt and some Tech Pulley 24g sliders no issues and I like difference from 26G to 24G. Suites my riding with a bit more RPM and acceleration.  Only about 260 miles but it works same as OEM belt.   Time will tell.
So nice today but a bit warm later in day. Raining and 62F when I left 84F at 5PM.  A good day.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 9:06 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
That's true it should have come on. I'm trying a G-Boost belt next time it's already in garage waiting till Spring. Flame ON about not using OEM belt.

My feeling is use whatever belt you prefer, you have to live with it! And you may give us some valuable feedback for later. I used a Honda OEM belt because the reviews of the cheap eBay (Chinese) belts were not good. Plus my original Honda belt wore like iron...

Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 513
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2021 12:23 pm

The "G Boost"  IMO, is not a cheap chinese item at aprox. $100 for the SW(Thus is most likely made there ??), they must have somehing else/better to offer, to be marketable ?? Plenty reviews say they do, even here  Cool

Personally I prefer a Mitsuboshi belt and I got new one for $100 sitting on shelf JIC, right now my G boost is at 1K miles and working good with white Malossi spring, had cover off several times for other issues and belt looks excellent. Since I have a Malossi white spring, I'll replace belt at 8-10K, JTBS.
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ozzman

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2021 2:14 pm

The V-light mystery... I don't wanna brag, but my light came on again at 34,000.

I have over 20,000 on my malossi belt and no signs of it slipping yet.
The 2nd  malossi belt was delivered a week ago with 37,917 miles on the odometer.

$99 bucks was not a bad deal after watching max scoots drag race with malossi parts in italy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Belt replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt replacement   Belt replacement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt replacement
Page 1 of 1