Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 2:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 4:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 1:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 9:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 am

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection

Go down 
+4
MikeO
honda_silver
JeffR
DennisB
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection Empty
PostSubject: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi all. Just picked up a 2005 Silverwing and quickly came to understand why the stock windscreen is often the first thing to get swapped out for aftermarket Smile I've come from motorcycles, mainly cruisers and standards with flyscreens or small summer screens so wind and weather protection is one of the reasons I picked the Silverwing. I am 5'9" and have noticed a lot of turbulence coming off the the top of the screen so have been debating the Clearview vs Givi and reading the abundance of reviews of each but I have an added twist I would like some input on.

My wife has noticed a lot of wind hitting her helmet from the stock screen as well. I guess the stock screen is deflecting the wind to the top of my helmet and then right into her face. I'm wondering, of the Givi or medium Clearview (or Cee Bailey for that matter), which one would give the best wind protection for the passenger. I'm thinking the Givi based on the way it curves up instead of back but would like input from anyone who has switched from the stock screen and carriers a pillion.

Another quick question about the 2 screens above - I have always preferred to look over my screens as opposed to through but it seems like each of these screens adds about 3-4 inches to the stock height so would I be correct in assuming that no matter which one I get I will end up looking through instead of over?

Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Did you happen to look at our windsheild pole.

https://www.silverwing600.com/polls-section-f17/stock-windshield-or-not-t220.htm
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it. I have had the Clearview and have the Givi now. The XL Clearview (with the vent) really flexed for me so I bought the Givi. When I was going 70 mph or more the top of the screen started to really bend back to my chin. But I think there were only a few of us that had that problem.

You might want to read this over though:

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.266/.f?sc=7&category=486 (screen and bracket)

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl;jsessionid=0a010a4e1f4336f1b69733d44937acffe7b69a1f72b5.e3eTaxiMa38Te34Pa38Ta38Lc350?sc=1 (go towards the bottom to open the "Pictorial" on how to do this)

This has my interest since it is only about $180 and you can adjust it in any position you want. If you have a rider you can adjust it higher. It does seem that the screen you use might need to be cut down some in order to use the "madstad" screen and bracket. But I'm going to look into this myself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:35 pm

jedrake72 wrote:
My wife has noticed a lot of wind hitting her helmet from the stock screen as well. I guess the stock screen is deflecting the wind to the top of my helmet and then right into her face.

A lot of the decision of which windshield appear to be driven by the driver ... not the passenger. My was driven by the passenger. My wife found exactly the same thing. I switch to a Clearview XL and then took my wife for a ride, the wind was deflected to just the top of her head and we were able to have a complete conversation up to 50-55 MPH.

Some people who have had the Givi windshield have had a pressure on the back of the helmet ... I am not sure why. The Clearview has more of a sweeping up and over ... which I believe will help minimize the passenger effect ... regardless of the Clearview size.

One thing I would point out is make sure you have your seat height fixed before choosing your size. For example I added Alaskan Sheepskin which raised me up ... and then added the Airhawk under the Alaskan Sheepskin for the longer rides which raised me up again. If you add anything to the seat you may find you may be able to see over a larger windshield.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Quote :
Some people who have had the Givi windshield have had a pressure on the back of the helmet ...

I am actually extremely sensitive to this negative / back pressure and have read some other reports about the Givi that indicate some people experience it. I have noticed it happens when a screen is too vertical and too far forward of the driver. One reason I've never used a big screen is because I could never find one or get one adjusted so that didn't result in this phenomenon. I don't think I've heard any reports experiencing this on the Clearview.

Aerodynamics is some crazy stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:02 am

I can't comment on either Clearview or Givi as I've had neither but the Laminar Lip works for me and my passengers.
An advantage is that the Lip can be positioned to direct the wind over but still allows the rider to see over the screen.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 am

jedrake,

The Givi did give me a bit of back pressure at first. I then cut about 1 1/2" off the top and I don't feel it now. When I was riding, I would put my hand up over my head to see how high the air flow was over my helmet and it was about 4" over my helmet so I cut a bit off. Since then I don't feel the back pressure. It seems that the Givi really pushes the air pretty high. I have a longer than average torso so it really helped me.

But I would like the Clearview better if it didn't bend so much. It does seem a bit smoother air flow but it just bent way too much for my comfort.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:47 am

Another option (with no data) would be the new Givi Adjustable Windshield
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:14 pm

I like the Givi that I have. Very nice on cool/cold days for keeping that wind off. It was a little less expensive than the Clearview which is why I chose it. The Clearview definitely has more choices in terms of size. A higher windshield such as the Givi has one big blessing. I only have to clean the Windshield instead of my helmet visor whereas before I had to clean both. I don't like scrubbing bug residue of my helmet after every ride. In the summer though, I probably will put the stock screen back on for increased airflow and use the Givi for spring and fall. The Givi also does a decent job of keeping air of the hands. I notice that I feel air flow on the outer edge of the handle bar grip but air stays off the rest of the grip which is nice when riding in the cold. I can't speak for the Clearview as I've not tried it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 6:53 pm

Lots of good feedback on the various screens from the rider's perspective - any additional input from a passenger perspective?
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 pm

My wife has told me that she feels less airflow with the Givi. She wears a full face so it never really bothered her face so much but she says there is less buffeting and makes her ride more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
jimjotel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:12 pm

I have the Givi also and agree with everything already said. I also have a wife that rides and the SW stock windsheild gave her problems, also our cardo helmet system is very quiet, no wind noise at all.
Back to top Go down
http://jimtelford@bellsouth.net

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 8:23 pm

You can't eliminate the turbulence. You can only move it somewhere else. Which one will make your passenger happiest depends on a lot of factors, including the height of the rider and passenger.

That being said, I'd expect the larger the windscreen, the farther back the airflow will collapse and cause turbulence. The Givi is a very tall screen. I like it, personally, but I'm the driver.

Givi has a new adjustable screen. But it's not as tall even at its highest setting. I'd suggest you give the regular one a try.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 am

mickey wrote:
But it's not as tall even at its highest setting

That is the first I heard that ... that would be a shame.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:03 am

honda_silver wrote:
mickey wrote:
But it's not as tall even at its highest setting

That is the first I heard that ... that would be a shame.

According to Scootertrap the regular Givi is 26". The new one adjusts from 17" to 22". I don't understand the point of the thing.
Back to top Go down
Chia KK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 am

Hi All,

Anyone can give compare between the windshield brand Givi, Clearview, Laminal Lip and & 7Jurock (get know from Ebay Silverwing Accessories).
1) the price
2) wind protection and comfortable

Thank you very much

From
Chia
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Chia KK wrote:
Anyone can give compare between the windshield brand Givi, Clearview, Laminal Lip and & 7Jurock

There is also Cee Bailey windshields.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 4:26 pm

According to Clearview, the flex problem occurs on when the vent option is installed, which weakens it enough to flex. If you take a look now, the vent option is not available on the largest size, to avoid that.

The largest GIVI gave me back pressure also, and I'm only 5'6, which is why I upgraded to the clearview.

Looking over vs through is an old debate and there is no right or wrong about it. Only preference.

The madstad looks great in theory. You're gonna really have to torque down with those wrenches though, to get a stable position with constant 80mph buffeting against it. Then there is the purchase of that extra windshield to attach to the madstad brackets....

Bill: only four points to the last star...you go guy! Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection Icon_lol

Dan
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Chia,

I had the XL Clearview with the vent and it did flex really bad at 70 mph and above. So I bought the Givi and like it much better. I did cut about 1 1/2" off the Givi since it really pushed the wind over my helmet, and I have a long torso. It really reduced the back pressure on the back of the helmet to where I don't feel the back pressure anymore.

If the Clearview would not have flexed so bad I would have kept it. I do think the Clearview is a bit better and I think I did get a couple of mpg better. I think the Clearview pushes the wind away more efficiently. But that is just my opinion. But the Givi is rock solid and isn't as close to my face as the Clearview was.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 pm

dspevack wrote:
Bill: only four points to the last star...you go guy! Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection Icon_lol

I believe the last star is after 1,000 posts.

JeffR has 959 posts with 1232 points and he has one star to go. ... after 41 posts he will have his last star.
Back to top Go down
Chia KK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 11:52 am

Hi All,

Thank for yours reply, I had read the Madstad Windshield web site and their products look quite interesting. Don't know anyone had installed this product and can provide some guide and comments.

Today, during my riding to work with Silverwing, i got feeling that silverwing is like a "big toy" can play around and is really fun. Furthermore, can do some modify to make it more fun and excited!

Thank you

From
Chia
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection   Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi or Clearview for Passenger protection
Page 1 of 1