Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

is it a misfire or fuel problem

Go down 
+4
JamieB
Easyrider
oldwingguy
sidco10
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2019-04-19

is it a misfire or fuel problem Empty
PostSubject: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 1:58 pm

Hi all ,well my reliable wing has started to act up on my last two outings, I usually go out every weekend and do between 150 to 200 miles, so the bike gets used, it is a 05 with 31000 miles I've put 6000 miles on it since getting it last year, 2500 on a tour of southern France with no issues Smile
The problem feels like a misfire, at motorway speeds (70 80 mph) its like the throttle is is being shut off and opened quickly a slight stuttering and bogging down feeling but intermittently, its not the sensitive throttle action on the wing it feels more pronounced .At slower speeds the bike seems to act normally accelerates fine, starts ok and no feeling of a misfire ,but on the overrun when slowing down small backfiring seems to be happening ,
I have had the exhaust off so I've ordered a new exhaust collar gasket to see if that stops and is unrelated, its difficult to describe but its getting worse I tried the bike after checking the plugs (iridium fitted 3000miles ago) and leads which on the surface seem ok , but its still there ,that's why I was wondering about maybe a fuel problem but I suppose that would be apparent all the way through the rev range.
Has anyone else had this problem? any pointers welcome cheers k
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 3:58 pm

ALL, electrical connections clean and tight?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Try testing the fuel pressure regulator? It is cheap enough to just replace it.

Did you check the air filter yet?
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi, sounds like your ht leads when under load.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 7:10 pm

Have you tried to duplicate the problem with the bike on the center stand?

Also, you might want to remove the right side skirt and the tunnel cover. Yeah, a PITA I know but... Then some dark night do the center stand thing again while misting the coil, high tension wires and plug caps using a spray bottle of water. The idea here being to check for arcing. 

If you do find that you need new high tension wires it is best to order the correct parts from Honda. A friend was having erratic, long term problems with his ignition and a Honda shop ended up replacing his high tension wires with something from a showroom Honda (not a Silverwing) which “looked right”. Anyway, he got back on the road and the SW started acting up again. We replaced the showroom wires with the correct SW ones. Dunno what/why the difference in wires, but all was well and he lived happily ever after.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 8:12 pm

Try purging the fuel lines of fuel near the injectors, its in the manual. I had a similar issue where the bike eventually would not start, 18 years of use had pushed fuel resembling mirky home made cider up to the injectors and prevented the clear amber nectar from reaching the bores. Check my past posts. The SW has to be the most complicated engine I have owned, lots of sensors to potentially cause a issue but Honda know how to build a bike so only the one issue in 20K miles so far!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Sounds like a misfire. You had the muffler off or the head pipes also??? A leak at head pipes would cause the popping in exhaust. Pipe gaskets are a crush type and only one time use.

Fuel is leanest at a steady speed this is when a misfire is mostly felt. Accelerating it has more fuel and a weak plug or wire will still work until it leans out.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Purge WHAT? Fuel system has a return to tank it's flowing at all times engine is running. Only problem I could see if pump or fuel system opened then a few cycles of key would pressurize system no bleeding required. You had lots of water-bad fuel in tank.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 6:26 am

I can't comment on the motorway speed misfire but I get a some popping when shutting off the throttle (sometimes). I've mentioned before that a new air filter and plugs stops it from happening for a while but really, I've never worried about it. The bike seems to run fine otherwise.

Tim's suggestion regarding the plug leads and caps is worth investigating for starters.

I'm going to give my SW a shot of Redex on the next service and check the plug leads and caps too!
Back to top Go down
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2019-04-19

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks for all the replies ,the plug leads will be my first port of call probably get some new ones.
Seeing as the Costa del Liverpool is now under new lockdown I'll have plenty of time to fiddle about with the wing:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is it a misfire or fuel problem   is it a misfire or fuel problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

is it a misfire or fuel problem
Page 1 of 1