Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Harley to Silver Wing

Go down 
+18
smellybeard
john grinsel
EvilTwin
JamieB
Meldrew
Delray
PeteP
exavid
Loosemarbles
steve_h80
GHM-PM
gustav
Terry Smith
Murf
sonuvabug
oldwingguy
bikehiker
NGC
22 posters
AuthorMessage
NGC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-09-03

Harley to Silver Wing Empty
PostSubject: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 11:13 am

I sold my Dyna but am now going through withdrawal. I have been looking at a Honda Silver Wing Scooter as an alternative.
It looks simpler to operate without a clutch and ABS for assistance.  Before I say yes any advice from Silver Wing owners is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 12:52 pm

I can guarantee that you will have as much fun with a Silver Wing as with a Harley. To me the Swing is more flickable and reliable, with enough spirit to compete with most Harleys. My last bike was a BMW F800ST that would run rings around Harleys. It was reliable and fun, but my old shifting leg would cramp on trips over 50 miles. Hated to give up the BMW, but I couldn't believe how the Swing grabbed my attention. And the twist-and-go factor made me not want to look back. Check it out. You will not be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Goldwing to Silverwing and loving it, do it Smile
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Welcome aboard this board NGC.  Where about in Canada are you located?

You should get acquainted with "search" as s/he'll soon become your best friend on these forums.

In the meantime, here's a recent thread from someone who is also letting go of his big ride and looking for something more manageable.  Perhaps it may be of use to you too.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t11870-seeking-scooter-purchase-guidance#121198

Last edited by sonuvabug on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Went to Silver Wing from Large displacement and heavy bikes. I would not go back even for a BMW.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 5:43 pm

I added the Silver Wing to my fleet (Honda ST1300 and VTR1000F) to replace my 2018 Vespa Sprint 150. I miss the Vespa's cute factor and easy of garage movement, but everything else on the Swing is great, comfort, power, handling (with a few reservations) and braking. It won't replace the ST1300 for touring, or the VTR for a spirited hoon around, but for general around or near town work it is great (and my wife likes riding on it too).
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 7:59 am

Yes, do it! You will not be disappointed. Paul
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 am

I have been riding motorcycles since 1969, the first time I ever drove a scooter was a Honda 125 on vacation in Cozumel Mexico in 2006. I was impressed. Now I only own two bikes both scooters and both Honda's. Even though I can certainly use a clutch, I have gotten to favor the CVT in my older years. Takes getting used to but now I love it.

In addition as a member of the American Legion Riders, I ride with a lot of Harleys, once they find out I can keep up with them all is great!!!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 8:54 am

GHM-PM wrote:
... snipped ... In addition as a member of the American Legion Riders, I ride with a lot of Harleys, once they find out I can keep up with them all is great!!!

I can second Glenn's experience.  We ride with the local Southern Cruisers Riding Club chapter.  When we initially joined (at a member's invitation), we got some funny looks and even one or two snide comments about scooters.  

Once they saw the capabilities of these maxi-scooters first hand, we were embraced as "bona fide" riders.  It's been 12 years now and all is good. I also believe, deep down, a few of them wished they were riding a maxi-scoot instead of their 900 lbs. behemoths. Funny how peer pressure and wanting to conform shape our behaviors.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 2:29 pm

Go for it NGC, if you don't like the SW I'll be amazed.
Give it a few hundred miles to adjust because its a different kind of ride - the same as when you go from a trail bike to a cruiser to a sports bike to a tourer.
I've still kept my other bike, a 1200 big trailie that isn't a GS and since bought a 3rd, a 1000 sport tourer. Neither is preferred to the other as they are all differ flavours for different days and moods.
I've not met anyone who rides maxiscooters who doesn't like them, it only those that haven't ridden one who don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 3:57 pm

I was surprised how easily I took to the SW. Never rode a Harley but they are my pet hate, I've always bought Japanese.

Anyhow, I think you'll find the SW great fun. It took me a while to get used the high-revving engine but Honda seem to have held up their urban motto of 'Bulletproof'.

Enjoy and let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 5:51 pm

I agree with Steve, in the corral, 2019 Indian Scout 60, 2013 Silverwing, 1981 Honda gl500 (Silverwing), 1980 Honda cx500 Custom. Anytime a ride one, I say to myself this is all the bike I need, why do I have so many. If the wife ever came to her senses and said enough already, it would be the 2013 Silverwing Scooter! Paul
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 2:04 am

I concur with the majority. I've been riding for 62 years with a variety of motorcycles, but age and weak knees made me give up my excellent Goldwing for it's little brother, the Silverwing scooter. The change took awhile to get used to but I wouldn't part with the scooter now. Most of my riding is local and errand running with a few longer trips during the years since I got it. It's been a boon to this old geezer.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 7:27 am

I'm thinking a Can-Am Spyder may be in my future. Paul
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 pm

I sold my Harley 1200 Sportster custom because I was having a heck of a time getting my leg over the seat (age and a bad back) and used the money to buy a 2007 Swing. I had been thinking about it for awhile and was actively looking for a maxi scooter. After reading about it on the forum I pulled the trigger. Best idea I’ve had in some time. I’m getting to know this scooter but so far I can’t find anything else that I would have replaced my Sportster with.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 am

The thing about the Spyder I don[t like is that it doesn't lean in the curves. Not as comfortable on a twisty road as a two wheeler, feels more like a car.

I totally agree with Meldrew on the "fat butted" Burgman 650. It's only useful thing on that scooter is that it has around 90lbs more maximum load rating than the SW. The electrically controlled transmission is a real Rube Goldberg. The driven pulley shifting is done with a small electric motor. Not nearly as robust system as the flyweight system most scooters utilize. The little "manual shift buttons" will damn near throw the rider over the windshield when it downshifts.

I've owned three SWs and one Burgman 650. The SW has it beaten on all counts.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 pm

"I've owned three SWs and one Burgman 650. The SW has it beaten on all counts."

I'm in the opposite camp. Love the big Burgermeister. I owned four Wings, three Burgman 650's and two BMW C 650 GT's. In the last 18 months, I had two big-boy scooters in the garage simultaneously, first Wing + Burgman for several months and then Burgman + BMW.

I love the Silver Wing, especially the two 2003's I owned in Candy Glory Red. That particular bike still turns my head today, and I want to know "how much and how many miles on it?" It's quintessential Honda.

When I had the Wing + Burgman, I used the Honda to buzz around town on errands. Easy to get on and off. Easy to walk out of a parking spot. Quick, reliable, fun. It's an agreeable working bike, which is what the first Hondas were designed for. I used the Burgman for long pleasure rides next to the ocean. Big, solid and smooth as silk.

I sold the Silver Wing and bought the BMW. The Wing's cursed understeering in corners always bugged me. And while I love the simplicity and reliability of the Silver Wing, the (almost) 20-year old technology was getting, well, kind of old.

When I had the Burgman + BMW, I rode the BMW when I wanted a motorcycle experience, complete with authentic BMW handling and that distinctive growl. Again, I used the Burgman for relaxed rides, starting with a daily trip to the ocean to feed unsalted peanuts to pigeons and gulls. I noticed that on most mornings, I'd choose the Burgman.

When I decided to go down to one bike, the choice was simple. BMW is a fun, exciting, alpha-type ride. But for me, it's a one-note Johnny. That's the ONLY kind of ride it provides. With the Burgman, I could press the Power button for spirited riding or, as usual, kick back and relax on the Lincoln Town Car of big-boy scooters.

I've always been a cruiser when I ride, opting for a smooth, serene experience. The Burgman 650 fits me perfectly. If I had to choose a big scooter to go from here (Florida) to California, I'd go with the Burgman, no doubt or debate. Three glove boxes, big trunk, electronic screen, heated seat and grips, fold-in mirrors (very handy for fitting my bike in a one-car garage with my Prius), and just 3,000 rpms at 50 mph all day long with that ridiculously good transmission. I added FOBO valve stem caps so I have live psi readings, which is a BMW feature I loved.

Nothing is perfect, of course. No matter how you see it, the back end of a Burgman looks like a bathtub with a wheel underneath. Terrible design. It's a beast to push around or hike up on the center stand (I use a paving stone as a parking pad in my garage, so I can use the side stand yet keep the bike mostly vertical). It's got that "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" magical lifetime belt that WILL fail at some point, whether it's 15,000 miles or 150,000. I used to worry about that. Now I just enjoy the ride.

Every pot has a lid, my mom used to say (about seemingly odd couples). And every bike has a rider. Which brings to mind Henry David Thoreau ....

"Know your own bone. Gnaw it, bury it, unearth it and gnaw it still. Do what you love."

Last edited by Delray on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Delray wrote:
"I've owned three SWs and one Burgman 650. The SW has it beaten on all counts."

The Wing's cursed understeering in corners bugged me.

Interesting comment; when I started my Swing journey on my 01 with 70,000km and worn tyres and suspension, I'd have endorsed that wholeheartedly. Since I've replaced tyres, fork springs and shocks and adjuster the steering head bearing, I find my bike to be a really neutral handling machine that holds its line very sweetly.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 pm

For me the BMW 650GT was a great scooter. Mine was the first year of the model, if I'd gotten one three or four years later I might have kept it. But the lack of decent shop manuals just griped me. I've got all the tools and years of experience working on my aircraft, cars and bikes but never before was it a problem getting the manuals.

I prefer to be the only one maintaining my and I did so from all our cars and trucks and the ten aircraft I owned (mostly serially).

I have the owner's and shop manuals for most of the of the vehicles I've owned. Other than that the 650GT was a great bike, pull the real wheel off in five minutes with time to spare, quick handling like a BMW is known for. But way more than I'd want to pay for a bike, not many on the used market. I prefer to be the second owner of the vehicles I'd owned gotta save a few bucks here and there. Maybe I'll sell my 30-06, that could save some bucks.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 5:23 am

I'm happy I made the decision to downsize for a third time a couple of years ago when I dropped down from a Silver Wing to a Forza 300. I first downsized in the mid 80's when I went from a troublesome BMW R65 to a MZ ETZ 250, and again in the 90's with a Honda CN250 Helix replacing my BMW K75 RT. Both times I've had years of enjoyable riding and touring on the smaller mounts.

Next year I'd like to try a different way of maxi scooting and trade the Forza in for one of the new leaning 3 wheeled scooters like the Yamaha Tricity 300. Peugeot have also given a major facelift to their Metropolis 400 3 wheeler for 2021 and that's under consideration too.

In the meantime I'm happy tootling around on the Forza. I went for a trip down Memory Lane on Monday, going back to How Stean Gorge in Nidderdale in the Yorkshire Dales. I was last there back in 1982 at a MZ Rally.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 6:53 am

My father whose 76 now swapped his bmw r1150gs last year for an Aprilia Pegaso, so much lighter and manageable plus sounds great with twin acraprovic exhausts.

Meldrew, I am so close to swapping my wing for a for a 300, great reviews and they just look so good and weight wise wow they are so much lighter.

But we will see, watch this space.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 am

A spyder is a good option especially if you some physical limitations that would preclude you from riding two wheels. I don't, but I still enjoy riding it, but also like being on two. I tell folks you feel like you are riding a bike, but it's more like driving a car. For many folks it's the only option. As long as it gets you out.

Loved the silverwing, am just getting used to the c650. It's nice to have a choice 😃.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 am

I occasionally look at the website of a dealer in North East England who is a Can-Am importer who usually has a few Spyders in. I like looking how the Spyder RT models especially have evolved and changed over the years.

To a UK buyer garaging a Can-Am Spyder would need some thought, we Brits traditionally keep all all our junk and household clutter in our garages, as modern built homes don't have attics or basements. The car stays outside.
Back to top Go down
NGC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 am

I looked over a used 2009 Swing with low mileage. I was surprised how large it is. I will never have a passenger so the Swing size is a problem. I tried to raise the Swing on the stand and even with the help of the seller we had difficulty raising the Swing.
I have gone back to the motorcycle world with a Honda 500 ABS. Perfect size and weight for me.
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 11:18 am

Cannot get SilverWing on Centerstand---means you do not know how!!
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 1:17 pm

NGC wrote:
I looked over a used 2009 Swing with low mileage. I was surprised how large it is. I will never have a passenger so the Swing size is a problem. I tried to raise the Swing on the stand and even with the help of the seller we had difficulty raising the Swing.
I have gone back to the motorcycle world with a Honda 500 ABS. Perfect size and weight for me.
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Enjoy the ride, dont mind the curmudgeons...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm not surprised that as a long time HD owner that only used the side stand, NGC had difficulty raising a 550 lbs Silver Wing onto it's main stand.

Anyway he's happy back in the motorcycle world with his 500 Honda. 😷
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 7:26 am

john grinsel wrote:
I can't get mine on the centre stand because it broke off - and it didn't break just for fun. The problem now is that I have a rear tire replacement coming up...
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi NGC. Greysilver from Arizona. I sold my 04 Goldwing and bought a Silverwing. I was having ride remorse a couple years later. Had the Swing for 4 years now. Frankly I don't ride it as much as I thought I would. BUT, when I do it is a very satisfying ride, fun easy, no real learning curve.

You will learn the hand lever doesn't control the clutch pretty soon. Mine has ABS and I recommend that. I think you willl enjoy the ride.

A Silverwing is big. 550 pounds and it is difficult to center stand. I think the main effort comes from the foot/leg. It a learned skill, no more. If you ride a lot the belt drive is an added expense.

Enjoy, how ever you go.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 7:59 pm

smellybeard wrote:
john grinsel wrote:
I can't get mine on the centre stand because it broke off - and it didn't break just for fun. The problem now is that I have a rear tire replacement coming up...

You don't know Jack.    Works well for the front tire also and other maint.

Harley to Silver Wing Jackk10

It will save you money in the long run.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 12:20 am

Not really useful to tell someone who's having problems getting the SW up on its centerstand the obvious point that he/she don't know how. Perhaps a new handle for the writer would be better called "Captain Obvious" instead of 'Curmudgeon. Not too productive at all.

My usual way is to position myself so I'm lifting and pushing aft simultaneously. Position myself a bit forward so that my foot on the lever is in a position where I'm pushing the lever down and back while giving a lift on the tail rack. Shifting your body weight a bit aft at the same time so you put more pull on the bike while pressing down and back on the stand lever works okay for me.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 4:10 am

I posted this on 27th. June, 2013:

'One must co-ordinate arms and foot - it's no use trying to do it bit by bit.The action must flow!

I describe the start of the action after making sure both stand-feet are touching the ground as 'Surprising it' - it's no good starting gently and building up the effort.
Don't jerk but be positive and determined, with arms bent, not stretched.
As has been said, there is a knack. I repeat, I 'surprise' my Silverwing!'

The problem is, as far as I'm concerned, the interpretation of the tone of certain posts.
If they start with: 'I'm having trouble getting the bike of the stand' (for example), there's an implicit request for help and that will usually be answered with suggestions of how to overcome the problem.

Making a statement such as: 'It's too heavy to get on the centre-stand' will almost inevitable invite certain remarks because it simply isn't true.

I'm going to confess here to having bought an AdMore light bar, the same as the one I fitted to my first Silverwing. I have a DenisB connector - I inherited with my present bike - but the wires appear to be different, i.e. different colours from the norm.
I am ready for a bit of flack about adding extras because I know there are folk who don't feel they are necessary but I certainly won't get into an argument. It's par for the course and livens things up a bit.

I will probably ask for support or advice but I definitely won't say the connector's no good because it's wired differently.
That's the difference.

Why I'm typing all this, I don't really know except that it stops me looking out of the window and seeing the rain falling from very grey skies!
Happy Wednesday, everyone! Smile
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 8:51 am

MikeO wrote:
... snipped ... I am ready for a bit of flack about adding extras because I know there are folk who don't feel they are necessary but I certainly won't get into an argument. It's par for the course and livens things up a bit.

MikeO, I don't think anyone, including you, should receive, let along have to put up with, negative comments from other site members for the accessories they add or modifications they choose to make.  

Everybody has different needs and wants and they should be able to pursue those as long as they don't impinge on the rights, comfort or safety of others i.e. like mounting auxiliary lights that blind others etc.  

When I read their comments about "you only need (read their limited self-approved list) of add ons/mods or even worse, you don't need these accessories or mods (you fill in the blank ... as they will with their " I am right-you are wrong" opinions), it simply demonstrates a small-minded, self-centered and myopic point of view.

These negative, narrow-minded comments should not be par for the course and members should not have to put up with that nonsense time and time again.  Personally, I do not think it livens things up as much as ticks people off and causes them to be dormant or simply go away.  

It's no wonder so many new members register on this site and never become truly active site members ... all you have to do is read some of the very first comments they received from some existing members and the newbies turn and ride away never to return back.  And that's a real shame!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 9:58 am

Let your body weight do the work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VPeDqKSj5c
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 10:20 am

Nice work by the lady lifting the lardy Burgman onto it's main stand. There's also YouTube clips of another lady demonstrating how to lift a Gold Wing up off it's side.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 1:34 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
MikeO wrote:
... snipped ... I am ready for a bit of flack about adding extras because I know there are folk who don't feel they are necessary but I certainly won't get into an argument. It's par for the course and livens things up a bit.

MikeO, I don't think anyone, including you, should receive, let along have to put up with, negative comments from other site members for the accessories they add or modifications they choose to make.  

Everybody has different needs and wants and they should be able to pursue those as long as they don't impinge on the rights, comfort or safety of others i.e. like mounting auxiliary lights that blind others etc.  

When I read their comments about "you only need (read their limited self-approved list) of add ons/mods or even worse, you don't need these accessories or mods (you fill in the blank ... as they will with their " I am right-you are wrong" opinions), it simply demonstrates a small-minded, self-centered and myopic point of view.

These negative, narrow-minded comments should not be par for the course and members should not have to put up with that nonsense time and time again.  Personally, I do not think it livens things up as much as ticks people off and causes them to be dormant or simply go away.  

It's no wonder so many new members register on this site and never become truly active site members ... all you have to do is read some of the very first comments they received from some existing members and the newbies turn and ride away never to return back.  And that's a real shame!

Aren't you forgetting those who recommend fitting obscure brand car tyres to the rear wheel, disconnecting the side stand safety cut out switch, rubbishing the Silver Wing Rider Handbooks recommended tyre pressures and warning not to fit trailer hitches, Filling the tyres with polystyrene 'balance beads', riding with the Givi Airflow's top screen removed completely, and all the other little things that they'd have you believe 'improve the ride'. 😷
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Aren't you forgetting those who recommend fitting obscure brand car tyres to the rear wheel, disconnecting the side stand safety cut out switch, rubbishing the Silver Wing Rider Handbooks recommended tyre pressures and warning not to fit trailer hitches, Filling the tyres with polystyrene 'balance beads', riding with the Givi Airflow's top screen removed completely, and all the other little things that they'd have you believe 'improve the ride'. 😷

I didn't forget anything.  ^^^ This is exactly my point. ^^^

As long as it doesn't impinge on the rights, comfort or safety of others, to each their own!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Delray wrote:
Let your body weight do the work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VPeDqKSj5c

They say a picture paints a thousand words and this video does just that.
Just stand on the sticky out bit and let gravity and leverage do their thing just as the designers planned it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 3:57 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

I didn't forget anything.  ^^^ This is exactly my point. ^^^

As long as it doesn't impinge on the rights, comfort or safety of others, to each their own!

There's a Coronavirus pandemic going on, social distancing, face masks, ever tightening restrictions, massive job losses, economy’s tanking, and panic buying of toilet rolls has started again in the UK.

Yet you seem more concerned about throwaway posts on here about what a bunch of mainly over 60's maxi riders fit to their Silver Wings.

No one's rights are being impinged, it's just stuff written online by you, me, and anyone else bored by six months of lockdown.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 8:39 am

Meldrew wrote:
There's a Coronavirus pandemic going on, social distancing, face masks, ever tightening restrictions, massive job losses, economy’s tanking, and panic buying of toilet rolls has started again in the UK.

Yet you seem more concerned about throwaway posts on here about what a bunch of mainly over 60's maxi riders fit to their Silver Wings.

No one's rights are being impinged, it's just stuff written online by you, me, and anyone else bored by six months of lockdown.

Interesting lead in ... classic example of deflection. I could care less how other people accessorize or modify their scooters.  What I do care about is calling out those who tell others what is right or wrong just because their programmed B.S. (belief system).  

And that is not a boredom motivated, throwaway statement.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 8:48 am

I ride an imperfect motorbike imperfectly. It's imperfectly maintained with an imperfect choice of extras.
It's still fun.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 8:54 am

smellybeard wrote:
I ride an imperfect motorbike imperfectly. It's imperfectly maintained with an imperfect choice of extras.
It's still fun.

cheers  I've always said ... if it isn't fun ... it isn't worth it! And I, like you, am still having fun Sir!

P.S. - every time I see your screen name my mind grabs it and starts to come up with all kinds of interesting notions ... lol.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 9:22 am

sonuvabug wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Interesting lead in ... classic example of deflection. I could care less how other people accessorize or modify their scooters.  What I do care about is calling out those who tell others what is right or wrong just because their programmed B.S. (belief system).  

And that is not a boredom motivated, throwaway statement.

Classic example of nothing mate, I found MikeO's current post on electric scooters more interesting than anything you've posted, and I was going to look at his update, but low and behold you've surfaced and and I've now got to waste  more time replying to you.

In fact I'm not going to, but if you care as you say about how people accessorise   (not accessorize), perhaps you could share your wisdom and advise me what I should fit next to my Forza.

It's simple enough, all the details are there in my Signature.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 9:29 am

Quote sunuvabug:

'MikeO, I don't think anyone, including you, should receive, let along have to put up with, negative comments from other site members for the accessories they add or modifications they choose to make.'

Quite so but I've learnt some good lessons from this forum about how to behave, especially how NOT to react and respond, as the need arises.
I confess to having responded very badly at times in the past, regret having done so and hope those who may have been affected by it treat it as water under the bridge.

I have noticed, especially of late, that useful and valuable information issues from those one thought were the least likely to pass it on.

Yes, I sit on my hands sometimes - don't we all - but I'm very happy here and hope that everyone looks for the good and passes over the less-good.

Last confession for the day .... and this is not a wind-up: since it started after lock-down I have been attending twice a week the Bike Night at the Dun Cow pub and restaurant twenty minutes ride from home. It started this year, largely, I think, because the nearest one didn't reopen.  People who used to go there seem to think the new place is better, both for parking and other facilities. Although I knew no-one at first, apart from a local Burgman rider who can't often get there because of his work, I have been accepted as a biker. Yes, there are one or two little groups but even they don't close the circle. There is an outside bar selling tea, coffee and canned drinks as well as very good burgers and sometimes beef or chicken stew, although it's not called that, and all at very reasonable prices.
What I'm leading up to is that I've been looking at drinks holders for the Silverwing. I wouldn't have thought of it but there's nowhere to put anything down except the ground and I can't cope with a paper cup of hot coffee at the same time as eating my burger.
I haven't bought one yet - a drinks holder, that is. Not sure I dare! Wink

Last edited by MikeO on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 12:24 pm

My old GS1150 used to have a little tea tray sticking out the front, perfect for resting a coffee / burger / beer on. Oh how they laughed, but they are all doing it now.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 12:48 pm

Nothing wrong with a drink holder as long as it can pivot.  Ram makes one and we have used it on the 3 wheeler occasionally.  You just have to make sure you position it so it doesnt obstruct a mirror or hit the windshield. And of course this bike doesnt lean much, but then again I dont imagine people riding scoots are draggin pegs or other parts too much.

Harley to Silver Wing 3RXMV8n
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2020 1:21 pm

One or two members will notice the wink.
Thanks for the suggestion about making sure it doesn't foul anything.
As it is, I have two double RAM mounts on the bars, the ones that go on the back of the brake-lever clamps.
I have a road-book roller thing I still like to use on occasions. It clamps between the RAM balls.

I doubt I'd have a cup holder permanently attached but just put it on for the bike nights.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 7:00 pm

On a previous SW I mounted a marine type swiveling single cup holder centered on the plastic about three inches below the ignition key on the little un-textured rectangle on black plastic. Worked just fine. The full gimbal type is good because it doesn't mind the bike leaning when you put down the side stand as well as during acceleration and braking. I just ordered one of these to put on my current SW.
One handy use is when one stops for lunch you can take your unfinished drink with you instead of wasting it in the trashcan. So far I've never had one fly out of the holder when empty cruising on the slab at 70+. The thing worked well on my Goldwings too.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 2:03 am

There has to be something comic about a thread on Harleys ending in a chat about cupholders!!!

On the Swing I think the RH dash pocket works perfectly as a cup holder. Saves me being seen with an actual mount for a cup holder....not that I'm trashing those that have one! It's bad enough that my fellow marshals see me riding a scoot and not a 'real bike'. LOL. small moped
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harley to Silver Wing   Harley to Silver Wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harley to Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing-
Jump to: