Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

RaceTech Fork Emulators

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators Empty
PostSubject: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 6:36 pm

I was wondering if RaceTech makes an emulator that will fit on Swing and if it made any difference. I used them on an other motorcycle that I had and it made all the difference in the world to dampening and handling. I’d like to do the same on Honda if I can.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 7:38 pm

Yes they make them for SW.  Part #FEGV S3801  $179.  It's on their site.  I've been pondering them and one or two others here as well.  They also have springs of varying rates.

I have never tried them but from your past experience with them can't make it worse.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks for the the part# and info. I’ll check it out and if I do go that route I’ll let everyone know. They take some work to drill out the damper rod and countersink the holes but I knew after my first ride I had done the right thing.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 4:34 am

I'm one of the fools thinking about doing this. I enjoy riding my Swing but the fork compliance on bumpy roads is pretty poor. I've got some new springs on the way but I think the fault lies in the damper rod. Having well setup cartridge forks in my "proper" bikes just highlights the deficiency of the 600. I just enjoyed an 800km day of 100% twisty bumpy roads on my ST1300, and the supension on that just eats bumps, the only constraint on corner speed is running out of ground clearance.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 9:36 pm

Terry,
I too find the damping on the Swing horrible. When I did my front end work I got a RaceTech kit with the springs and the Gold Emulators. As I recall I used the blue spring on the Emulators. I bought a nice countersink and added four holes to the damper rods. I know they are different bikes but the process is the same for any bike without an adjustable front fork. I think it did more for bike by itself even though I used new Progressive Shocks on the back. It never bottomed out again and smoothed out even the roughest roads. Take it for it’s worth.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 10:16 pm

629 miles in last two days and on some bumpy back roads good fork-shock combo makes it so much better as far as fatigue after long hours.   I'm not sure if I'll try install myself or have a good shop do it.  

My FJR 1300 has a great fork but shock was harsh a Wilbers shock made a huge difference.  

Now if I had some real cash  Fork up grade Wilbers out back.      Yeah it's a scooter.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 10:49 pm

PeteP wrote:
Terry,
I too find the damping on the Swing horrible. When I did my front end work I got a RaceTech kit with the springs and the Gold Emulators. As I recall I used the blue spring on the Emulators. I bought a nice countersink and added four holes to the damper rods. I know they are different bikes but the process is the same for any bike without an adjustable front fork. I think it did more for bike by itself even though I used new Progressive Shocks on the back. It never bottomed out again and smoothed out even the roughest roads. Take it for it’s worth.

I've spent quite a bit of money with RaceTech over the years, I fitted Emulators, Progressive Springs and a Fox Shock in my 1986 VFR700 back in the day, and have never been disappointed with the investments that I made. Suspension upgrades pay off every time you ride, and IMHO make the bike safer as well.  My other current bikes are a 1997 VTR1000F with 0.85kg/mm fork springs and Gold Valves in compression and rebound, plus an Ohlins shock in the rear. I also own an ST1300 which has 1.0kg/mm fork springs, Gold Valves in comp and rebound and a Nitron shock. In the case of the VTR, the suspension work probably added 50% to the cost of the bike (it was very cheap!) but transformed it.

Thanks for your comments regarding the Emulator setup that you have used. My RT springs ought to be here this week so I'll give those a go first, but I'm leaning heavily towards a follow-up with Emulators. Fortunately I am very comfortable with working on my bikes.

fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators Img_3910
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 5:46 pm

I've now installed the Emulators and 0.85kg/mm fork springs. I left out all spacers/washers as that spring and emulator combination sits proud of the fork by about 3mm, so with the cap installed there is plenty of preload. The sag sits at around 35mm.

I followed RT's advice and drilled out the damper rods, enlarging the 4 x original 6mm holes to 8mm, and adding another two 8mm holes. I have tried 10, 15 and now 20W oil, going up as the rebound damping remains a bit light. I set the oil level at 130mm as per RT's instructions and I used the blue spring at 2.5 turns preload on the emulator.

I'm waiting on some replacement piston rings for the damper rod as I suspect some of the lack of rebound is due to wear in these parts.

The ride is night and day different to stock. Where previously the fork felt jittery on bumps, it now feels plush but still nicely controlled, and the steering is much calmer at speed than it was.

Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 9:26 pm

Terry,
Thanks for the write up on going to Race Tech springs and emulators. I still haven’t given up on the idea but with the weather getting colder I’ll have to put it off for now. I don’t have a garage to work in so I have to do all my work outside. Still it’s on my to do list. I would like my Swing to also have a smoother and quieter ride.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 9:04 pm

Thanks for sharing RT results keep us posted. I'm still interested in these even if I need new RT springs and remove Hyper Pro . Less than $400 US .

That's a huge difference in oil weight 10-20. I'm looking for night and day to stiff on compression. Post part numbers of what you replaced please. Summer down under enjoy. sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 9:16 pm

The only parts needed for this are the springs and the emulators plus the oil of course. You posted the correct part number for the emulators above (FEGV S3801) and the springs are FRSP-S323485 (where the 85 refers to 0.85kg/mm rate). I purchased both from OEM Cycles, US$136 for emulators and $109 for springs, plus freight.

You'll need to undo the 8mm hex bolt in the fork leg to remove the damper rod, this needs to be drilled out with an 8mm bit to create 6 holes in each (4 x 6mm is the standard arrangement), then the holes need to be de-swarfed (used my Dremel for that). Swarf residue would be very bad for bushings and seals. Drilling out the compression damping holes on the damper rod takes away the harshness (port area goes from 113mm2 to 301mm2); the emulator has a sping-controlled pop-off valve that allows for restriction for control but free-flow when a big bump comes along. You can tune that pop-off by changing the spring (different rates are supplied) and the amount of preload on it.

The photos show the standard damper rod before mods, the compression holes are on the bottom and the small hole is the rebound port. The emulator is shown partly disassembled with the pop-off plate and spring removed. The four small holes are the compression ports.

I used no spacers or washers; the emulator drops into the fork leg and sits directly on the top of the damper rod, the spring goes in next, then the fork cap.
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators Img_1611
fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators Img_e110
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 9:25 pm

I'm waiting on some replacement piston rings for the damper rod as I suspect some of the lack of rebound is due to wear in these parts.

Are you replacing damping rod seals? Worn, oil is bypassing these?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:

Are you replacing damping rod seals?  Worn, oil is bypassing these?

Yes I am doing this. I did a quick check by removing the piston ring and slipping that into the fork; the ring end gap was about 3 mm; that is quite similar to the size of the rebound port in the damper rod, so I suspect it is allowing too much flow to bypass the damper rod, hence insufficient rebound damping. It's a cheap part easily swapped out so worthwhile changing. I have no idea whether they are like this from new or my rings are worn, bike has had 70,000km of abuse and as received the forks were very nasty inside.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 10:26 pm

3 MM that's a lot of wear. Worn for sure. Keep posting. Never had that apart but sounds excessive.
Back to top Go down
DTWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-07-22

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 am

I'm curious how putting new damper seal helped with the rebound. Is there any update?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm

I did not have much success with this. The forks still had little rebound, and that was up to 20W oil as well.  I sold the bike a few months back.  A suspension expert I spoke to suggested wear between the check valve in the fork tube and the damper rod was probably the cause but there's no easy solution for that.
Back to top Go down
DTWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-07-22

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2021 8:17 am

Thanks for that update, Terry. I did this on my previous bike, Honda PC800, and found similar thing. I even thought of plugging up the rebound hole with a set screw.

I love the ride of my Wing with aerohawk on the seat and was hoping I could make the front fork behave too. So I read this thread with great interest.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2021 4:46 pm

Had I kept the bike, my next plan was to install a set of cartridge dampers from another bike. I've done this before on a ST1100 and that worked out really well. The only trick with the Swing is that the fork is pretty short so there would have been a bit of fiddling to get the damper rod length right, but I did confirm that the dampers I had (from a VFR800) had the top-out springs in the right place, so it would have been a matter of shortening the shaft, re-threading the end, and fitting a threaded fork cap to bolt to. You can buy off-the-shelf cartridges if your pockets are deep enough.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 8:52 am

Terry Smith wrote:
I did not have much success with this. The forks still had little rebound, and that was up to 20W oil as well.  I sold the bike a few months back.  A suspension expert I spoke to suggested wear between the check valve in the fork tube and the damper rod was probably the cause but there's no easy solution for that.

Hey Terry, just curious here. Given these 2nd thoughts do you feel that the fork emulators upgrade was worth it? Or maybe just going to Hyperpro springs and heavier oil would be a cost effective solution?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 4:33 pm

The biggest benefit from the emulators for me was the big reduction in compression forces on bumps; the standard forks (on my bike at least) transmitted a lot of shock when hitting bumps, even with light oil. The modification to the damper rod and installation of emulators got rid of most of that, so yes on balance it was a good investment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RaceTech Fork Emulators   fork seal - RaceTech Fork Emulators I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RaceTech Fork Emulators
Page 1 of 1