Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Back Tire and Air Filter?

Go down 
+2
john grinsel
HerArt Kat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
HerArt Kat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
HerArt Kat

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2020-08-21

Back Tire and Air Filter? Empty
PostSubject: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 5:18 am

Hello, I just got a 2006 Honda Silver Wing!! Oh do I love it already. Tell me something how long does this back tire last. On my last Kymco Downtown 300i I had to replace it every 5000 km's!! What a pain this was and an expense yearly. Also how hard is it to get to the air filter to clean it?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 am

Back tire can last up to 8,000 miles for me----best for mileage tire for me was Michelin Power Pure SC, once returning from Alaska ran one over 10,000 on Burgman 400.

Air Cleaner, my experience not easy to get at----they are to be replaced, not cleaned.

Based on over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings, always carry spare OEM drive belt and exhaust gasket....dealer will usually not have them.

Kymco tire wear is related to low quality OEM tires--I have 2019 XTown 300i
Back to top Go down
HerArt Kat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
HerArt Kat

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 6:02 am

I have approximately 7000 km's on the bike. When should I replace the filter?
Thanks Smile

john grinsel wrote:
Back tire can last up to 8,000 miles for me----best for mileage tire for me was Michelin Power Pure SC, once returning from Alaska ran one over 10,000 on Burgman 400.

Air Cleaner, my experience not easy to get at----they are to be replaced, not cleaned.

Based on over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings, always carry spare OEM drive belt and exhaust gasket....dealer will usually not have them.

Kymco tire wear is related to low quality OEM tires--I have 2019 XTown 300i
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 6:13 am

But bike is near 15 years old----I would replace tires, drive belt, air cleaner and probably brake fluid, maybe oil change with filter----I enjoy riding/not fixing along the road.
Back to top Go down
HerArt Kat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
HerArt Kat

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 6:17 am

Yes makes perfect sense! Thanks John Smile

john grinsel wrote:
But bike is near 15 years old----I would replace tires, drive belt, air cleaner and probably brake fluid, maybe oil change with filter----I enjoy riding/not fixing along the road.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 8:00 am

I get appx. 13K on the front tire and 10K on the rear. This is using OEM IRC tires. Not the best handling tires but they wear very well. As to the air filter there is a pictorial here on the forum that will walk you through the replacement. I installed a K&N in my scooter and it works fine and requires less access.  Good luck.
Back to top Go down
HerArt Kat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
HerArt Kat

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 8:03 am

Very nice, I was thinking to install the K&N as well. Did on my last ride and it was fine. Thanks!

GHM-PM wrote:
I get appx. 13K on the front tire and 10K on the rear. This is using OEM IRC tires. Not the best handling tires but they wear very well. As to the air filter there is a pictorial here on the forum that will walk you through the replacement. I installed a K&N in my scooter and it works fine and requires less access.  Good luck.
Back to top Go down
HerArt Kat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
HerArt Kat

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 9:48 am

What about your brakes? I am very easy on breaking so I know I will get decent amount of time.

GHM-PM wrote:
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 10:23 am

Here is JeffR’s (our benevolent leader) pictorial of changing the air filter.

https://www.silverwing600.com/download?id=141

Psst: It’d be nice if you extended us the courtesy of introducing yourself. That’d be in the Introduction section.
Back to top Go down
HerArt Kat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
HerArt Kat

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 11:07 am

Yes will do that! Smile

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Here is JeffR’s (our benevolent leader) pictorial of changing the air filter.

https://www.silverwing600.com/download?id=141

Psst: It’d be nice if you extended us the courtesy of introducing yourself. That’d be in the Introduction section.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2020 8:02 am

Just for reference, I have nearly 25K miles on my Silver Wing and the brakes are still fine!
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2020 8:31 am

Hello Kathryn,

Brakes, tires are often different for almost every one. It all depend on the way it's use. You'll surely get riders opinion from there experiences and it will give you a good idea.

Regarding tires !
Personaly I try to never extend the tires life because they are the only contact on the ground for us riders to be safe.

Michel
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2020 11:00 am

The pads have long life, at this stage just make sure they are not hanging up on the pins causing uneven wear. The pads on my 05 are originals, still have a lot of life left at 17,000 miles. If and when they need replaced I have a full set and the rubber boots ready to go on.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2020 11:14 am

I find===Honda disk brakes ridden in winter salt, hang up on pins, which should be taken out and lubed.

Brake pads on SilverWing should last over 50,000 miles, high way ridden----my experience, over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings.
Back to top Go down
HerArt Kat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
HerArt Kat

PostSubject: Re: Back Tire and Air Filter?   Back Tire and Air Filter? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2020 3:09 pm

This is wonderful everyone NIG THANKS Smile
Back to top Go down

Back Tire and Air Filter?
Page 1 of 1