Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What moron designed that radiator filler???

Go down 
+14
Mech 1 twa
Loosemarbles
rustysdream
gustav
Marvincon
exavid
Easyrider
sonuvabug
GoonerKev
Delray
The Bern
Meldrew
Lenny
Terry Smith
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 1:25 am

First topic message reminder :

I decided to do a coolant swap today, and drained the system using the oil cooler fitting. That part was easy, but the refill was a nightmare!

Firstly that filler cap is in the most useless position with the fairings on; no problem when the bodywork is off, but I could only fit a little funnel on and then was unable to get a clean pour from any larger container. I ended up using a 750mL water bottle with sipping nipple, which at least gave me control over the addition.

However, everything was "full" with only 750mL on board, even though nearly 2L came out. I ended up running the engine for maybe 15 minutes waiting for the rest of the air to burp out. In the meantime the coolant expanded and overflowed on the floor, the engine got pretty hot and the fast idle system kept running at a "cold" setting. All this time the coolant in the neck stayed cold, until finally there was a little vapour rising, then with a gurgle I think the thermostat opened and the level dropped and I was able to get the rest of the liquid in.

Moral of the story....actually I don't know what I would do differently next time. I've never seen anything quite like this with any of my "big" bikes. Any suggestions from the more seasoned Silverwing maintainers here? I don't think this had anything to do with my Southern Hemisphere orientation as I bough an Australian-branded coolant...
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 11:58 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
What's a pushbike?

You don’t know what a pushbike is! 😮 It's a bicycle, pedal cycle, bike etc. One of these human powered two wheeled contraptions that in our brave new world they now want everyone to use to get to work instead of using public transport.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu May 14, 2020 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 12:05 pm

Never heard of it. Can't imagine a two wheeled contraption without an engine Shocked
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 1:50 pm

You soon will when they start banning traffic from city centres. Up here in what they correctly refer to as God's Country, York City Council already want a car free city centre by 2024.

I don't mind cycling into York and I often do. I can take a route mainly in cycle lanes and ride along beside the River Ouse and in sight of York Minster. Maybe I'll ditch the push bike in future and buy an eBike, and Boris's minions have also mentioned electric scooters as another alternative.

The expensive BMW C Evolution electric scooter comes to mind, but I doubt the non-riding commuter masses will be buying them. 😷
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 3:35 pm

I thought it was some English term for a bike with pedals and no engine other than a sweating and puffing human aboard.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 4:10 pm

exavid wrote:
I thought it was some English term for a bike with pedals and no engine other than a sweating and puffing human aboard.

Well done that man, got it in one!! applause applause chickendance
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 4:18 pm

In my case it's swearing and puffing, but it's all good as I've lost weight since the start of lockdown and can cinch my belt in another notch. 😊
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 12:48 am

Over here if we didn't just call it a bicycle the term, "pedal bike" might more rarely be used. It appears that "bicycle" could equally apply to scooters, both motor and push scooters, "push bike", motorcycle or anything with a pair of wheels.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 3:42 am

Don't forget there's pedelecs too, not as good it seems as a mid-drive eBike.

I went out on the Forza yesterday, really enjoyed the ride which re-emphasised my feelings that Honda really got it right with the restyled 2018 sportier version.

Riding along it mulled over in my mind that I don't really miss the feet forward riding position of the Silver Wing anymore. With the more upright riding position there's no strain on my lower back and any need for a backrest.

Not that I've had a backrest on a maxi scooter since my Helix years. A filled Ortlieb bag cinched to the passenger seat works well enough on long trips.

Right enough of this, I need to attend to my sourdough bread.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What moron designed that radiator filler???   What moron designed that radiator filler??? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 1:38 pm

You know a hygrometer works good for testing radiator juice.
All in all I think the packaging of the Silverwing is crap, but it is that way for most scooters. Typical of vehicle design, an engineer makes this wonderful design or a stylist designs something beautiful. Then the making it function aspect comes up and compromises happen....like the radiator fill. On top of that the corporate budget rules over all of that. Service departments 👩🔧(dealers) like to make money. Dealers buy bikes and scooters from corporate. Takes a while to service a Swing sometimes 😉.
I am bald and it only takes five minutes for my wife to cut the sides 👩‍🦲. There are some really nice scissors with the safety ends for trimming a noses hairy area. I like those for that task.

Back to top Go down

What moron designed that radiator filler???
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2