Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fuel pressure regulator

Go down 
+3
Lenny
Mech 1 twa
Terry Smith
7 posters
AuthorMessage
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2019-07-04

Fuel pressure regulator Empty
PostSubject: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi everyone. Freddyblue from San Francisco.
Please, my scooter is not running and I think it's the fuel pressure regulator.
Someone prior was kind enough with instructions on how to check if the regulator is bad and also instructions on how to perform the replacement.
Just informed that shelter in place is going on until the end of May.
Going crazy and need a task.
Would appreciate a list of tools needed and any visuals if available.
Thanks so much to everyone.
Stay safe
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Really just start taking the plastics off, keep the screws together with the panels they go to. The whole fuel filter, fuel pump just bolts to the top of the gas tank. Very easy to do. Check the inline fuel filter and filter screen before spending a lot of money. Easy to change. The fuel injected system is pressurized as it comes off the fuel unit. take off the fuel line going to the injector rail and turn the key. Youll know if there is a good fuel flow. LOL wear safety glasses!
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Murf wrote:
Really just start taking the plastics off, keep the screws together with the panels they  go to.  The whole fuel filter, fuel pump just bolts to the top of the gas tank.  Very easy to do.  Check the inline fuel filter and filter screen before spending a lot of money.  Easy to change.  The fuel injected system is pressurized as it comes off the fuel unit.  take off the fuel line going to the injector rail and turn the key.  Youll know if there is a good fuel flow.  LOL wear safety glasses!

Au contraire Murf. While the fuel pump and fuel filter do bolt to the tank top, accessing them is not the least bit “easy to do”. They can only be removed from the tank after the tank is taken out of the frame. The tank drops out of the bottom of the frame but to make that happen the sub frame and most of the body work must be removed.

The fuel flow test is on p 5-81 of the FSM and the low pressure fuel return hose (from the FPR back to the tank) is what is removed. At 40-some psi it’s pretty dangerous to remove that high pressure tank-to-fuel rail hose as you seem to suggest. You’d quite probably have sprayed a good deal of fuel all over the place before you had the chance to shut things down if you attempted a fuel flow test via that high pressure line. Damn dangerous.

We have our Freddyblue, we don’t need a CrispyFred.

And, yes, the FPR attaches to the left side end of the fuel rail and is easy to remove from that location.

Read the book.
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 6:01 pm

You're preaching to an idiot. I thought there was a relatively simple test for the FPR working or not.
My scooter is an 03 no ABS model.
I don't have a manual.
Does anyone have step by step instructions or even pictures of the manual steps ?
Were you saying that the easy removal of the FPR comes after the brutal dismembering.
Truly appreciate anyone who has chimes in.
Thanks and stay safe
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Without tools or instruments, there is a limit to what you can examine. The regulator is connected to the intake vacuum, and serves to reduce the fuel pressure when the intake vacuum is greater, to maintain a constant relative fuel spray pressure. One failure mode for the regulator is if the internal diaphragm ruptures, and in that case raw fuel can make its way down the vacuum hose to the intake and really mess up the fuelling. The simplest check would be to run the bike with the vacuum hose pulled off the regulator and capped; it will be obvious if any fuel leaks out of the regulator (none should).
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 pm

Notwithstanding your enthusiasm Freddy, without a FSM or, like Terry says, tools, you are limited.

So going back to square one, what symptoms were you experiencing which lead to this faulty FPR diagnosis? And who made that call?
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 10:46 pm

When going to start it, if I even turned the throttle the tiniest bit, it would flood and the smell of gas was pervasive. Even when running the smell of gas was present. Would stall at lights.
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 11:11 pm

Well that does sound consistent with the FPR not reducing fuel pressure when the vacuum is high. Have you checked the vacuum hoses to the FPR for leaks? It's a 3.5mm ID vacuum hose, should be simple to swap out and see if there is an improvement. The FPR itself is not too expensive, Partzilla shows it at $56.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Change your oil too all that fuel ends up in the engine. Get a new O-ring also seals regulator to fuel pipe. Replacing hose is a good idea it's old and fuel soaked by now. From past experience working on Honda cars regulator only changes pressure about 10 PSI.

Be sure to check for leaks after repair.
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 12:17 pm

I have access to any tools needed. I don't have the money for a manual right now. Wondering if anyone could take some pics of the manual pages pertaining to replacing the FPR and send them my way.
Thank you all for the "harder than I had hoped" info.
Stay safe
Back to top Go down
Lenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 12:35 pm

https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Honda/Honda%202002-2013%20%20Silverwing%20600%20Service%20Manual.pdf
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 4:09 pm

REMOVE THE SEAT UNDERCOVER Best to raise the seat and disconnect the seat strut. Then raise the seat fully and secure it to something up front. Then use a small screwdriver to free the tabs on the fuse boxes. One box pulls up then can drop down in its hole, the other can be navigated thru the slot in the side of the undercover. Once that’s done you can remove the two “side body cover front side set screws (page 2-7)” and the “seat under cover special screws” (the larger ones). See p 2-5 of the manual Lenny linked you to. Then you can flex the undercover and negotiate it out of the way. Do take note of how the undercover fits to the body before removing it. It can get confusing when reinstalling it.

DISCONNECT THE HOSES That will expose the throttle body and fuel rail. Move the breather hose out of the way to better expose the FPR at the left end of the fuel rail. Since you are just going to replace the FPR there is no sense in doing a fuel flow inspection (p 5-81). So just disconnect the vacuum hose and the fuel return line from the FPR. Yes, those innocuous looking hose clamps can be a genuine PITA.

No need to remove the manifold as is stated in the FSM.

REMOVE & REPLACE THE FPR Once the hoses are removed you can use a medium size crescent wrench to remove the FPR from the fuel rail. See pages 5-92 and 5-102.

“Installation is reverse”. Just don’t lose track of that one fuse box and have to remove the undercover a 2nd time to retrieve it. DAMHIK

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sun May 03, 2020 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks. Really appreciate it
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 9:46 pm

I believe that the under cover slides backward to free the middle tab.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Team, I really hate having to drop the tank it is a pain in the @#$.
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 3:19 pm

A special shout out to Lenny. Thank you so much for the info.
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 3:21 pm

Cosmic. You also. Thanks for the play by play.
Now for the implementation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator   Fuel pressure regulator I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel pressure regulator
Page 1 of 1