Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Engine dying , oil additives

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
Loosemarbles
themastermix
7 posters
AuthorMessage
themastermix
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-04-11

Engine dying , oil additives  Empty
PostSubject: Engine dying , oil additives    Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 10:15 am

hello all
i have this swing 600 which has 80,000km on it .

i bought it with 15k, but i'm a heavy driver , i drive about 200 miles daily

i always change oil and filter at 1.5k - 2k intervals and do all the service on time.

at maybe 65k , a water hose teared in the middle of no where with no station i had to drive for about 2 minutes , so engine overheated for about 1 minute before i turn it off and call for help , eventually the damaged hose was fixed and added new antifreeze but ever since that incident my engine sound was a bit harsher than normal ...
i continued my driving daily and the engine sound got harsher everyday ...at the next oil change i noticed a yellow golden tiny debris in the oil ..the mechanic said that it was the engine on the way to die ...so he suggested more frequent oil changes to use the max life out of it ..so i started to change the oil at 1k intervals and with every change the debris got more in quantity and larger in size until my last oil change yesterday they were really big flakes .

i know my engine is dying and that i have to replace it or rebuild it or buy a whole new scooter
what i want is to know if there's anyway to increase the life of the engine by any means necessary (oil additives for example) just a few more miles because i have no income right now to buy a new one or even buy spare parts to rebuild it my income and working project start in july , and i don't have any other means of transportation
so can anything be done to extend it's running life ?
thank you
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine dying , oil additives    Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 11:08 am

Oooooh.....sounds pretty fatal. With metal particles coming out at every oil change I would say that no amount of additive will prolong it's life.

There's always a possibility that the damage may be something like a camshaft bearing or valve guide. If you could determine which part(s) are damaged you might be able to do a repair or top-end rebuild without rebuilding or replacing the entire engine..

I don't know if there is a way of identifying the particles precisely. Maybe someone on this forum has an idea of how to do that.

Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Engine dying , oil additives    Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 am

TMM, my suggestion is to contact Blackstone Laboratories in Indiana. Ask them to send you out a sample bottle to capture a sampling of your used engine oil. Have them analyze the oil and they should be able to tell you what's going on inside your engine.

They also ask for any specific questions you may have, in advance, about your oil sample. Analysis cost is about USD$30'ish for a single sample. I've used them for a number of years for several of my vehicles and I have been pleased with their services. I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Their mailing address is:
Blackstone Laboratories 416 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne, IN 46806 USA

Telephone:
260/744-2380

Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Engine dying , oil additives    Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 12:20 pm

I normally do not use additives-----but once ran my new Harley Sidecar outfit from Hayward CA to Tacoma Wash on pretty much solid STP---lots of noise, but got there, engine finally blew in dealer parking lot.

Think your problem is related to engine overheat/dry cooling system. Only way to know what is wrong, take engine apart---remembering sometimes cost of repair can exceed cost of bike.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Engine dying , oil additives    Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 1:09 pm

I tend to agree with John on this one. Over heating, even for a minute or so, can destroy and engine in a hurry. And like he says, it might be cheaper just to get another SWing.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Engine dying , oil additives    Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 1:28 pm

Sorry to say this but the bearings are damaged. The noise rattling type is excessive clearance in rod bearings. Metal is from the bearings. Crankshaft is also damaged by now. Once this happens oil pressure drops inside and other parts will fail or seize up. Replace the engine.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Engine dying , oil additives    Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Lots of decent opinions here. Perform the oil analysis and know for sure. In medicine, prescription before diagnosis usually leads to malpractice.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Engine dying , oil additives    Engine dying , oil additives  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2020 4:57 pm

The prognosis seems bleak IMO. If..... When it does finally grenade itself, then getting a used engine from a
wrecked Silverwing might likely cost less than a rebuild/repair of the existing engine. No telling what the total
damage would be unless a near total disassembly and inspection of the current engine occurs. And that would
be an irrecoverable expense.

If it were me, I would have started looking for a used engine when metal began showing up in the oil... or at
least another scooter I could afford until I had the means to do something about getting the Silverwing back
on the road. You probably could do that depending on your financial situation.

Bottom line is that the Silverwing is not going to be useable at some point... probably sooner than later from
the sound of things. I would advise trying to get something in place before that happens so that you would not
be without a means of getting around. Putting more money out for barely effective treatments on a thing that
has likely gone beyond a tipping point of no return seems wasteful IMO. But do what you will and good luck to
you.
Back to top Go down

Engine dying , oil additives
Page 1 of 1