Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What about SYM ?
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 7:45 pm

Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby exavid Today at 5:23 pm

» My 2003 Silver Wing's first ride in 8 years.
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 5:13 pm

» Stator grommet replacement
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 4:52 pm

» oxygen sensor removal
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby Adrian999 Today at 3:24 pm

» Dirt road with the SW.
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby Michel Vachon Today at 3:12 pm

» Howling front tire
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 12:49 pm

» Why men need toolboxes
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Three brothers seat back
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby Zummy Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» Need some information on issues with vacuum
Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeby terrificobjects Yesterday at 11:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Temp gauge dropping!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Temp gauge dropping! Empty
PostSubject: Temp gauge dropping!   Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 8:16 am

Went out for a 3 hour ride yesterday, mainly motorway riding and then 'A' road and town riding for the last hour.

Occasional glancing at the gauges and lights during the ride all showed normal until about 1 minute from home when I noticed that the temp gauge had dropped to two bars. When I stopped outside my garage (engine still running) the gauge popped back up to three bars straight away, back to normal.

What on earth could cause the engine temperature to 'drop' while riding? The ambient air temperature was about 10 degrees but I've ridden in minus temperatures many times and the temp gauge has never moved.

Any ideas Question
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge dropping!   Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 8:46 am

Sticking open thermostat?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge dropping!   Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 9:46 am

Good point oldwingguy and I hope it is something fairly simple like that. I always thought that once a thermostat was 'open' after a cold start that it would just stay open until the engine cools right down after stopping.??

Does a thermostat open and close during riding? I have never thought about that, till now.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge dropping!   Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 10:03 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Good point oldwingguy and I hope it is something fairly simple like that. I always thought that once a thermostat was 'open' after a cold start that it would just stay open until the engine cools right down after stopping.??

Does a thermostat open and close during riding? I have never thought about that, till now.

I too would have thought that but it's mechanical so all bets are off Smile The cooling fan acting normally? It cycles as we know.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge dropping!   Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 10:17 am

Mmmmmmm.......cooling fan? I suppose if it was running when not needed it would cool the system prematurely. I'll make that my first investigation. Weather here is not looking too good for the next few days so I'll wait till it improves.

Whilst on the subject of the fan I have previously considered installing a dash light to show when the fan is running rather than trying to listen for it. Shouldn't be too difficult to do.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Temp gauge dropping!   Temp gauge dropping! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2020 6:20 pm

oldwingguy is most likely right. Thermostats do go bad they start to hang up a little open or don't open at all. Honda makes good parts but they do wear out.

Fan running all the time would not cool the engine if thermostat was working correctly. It opens and closes but slowly as coolant heats or cools it. Once you stopped no airflow through the radiator temps. came back up. Replace it. I hope that's 10° C not F. Burrrr.
Back to top Go down

Temp gauge dropping!
Page 1 of 1