Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition Switch
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby POCAHONTAS Yesterday at 6:45 pm

» Lift Without A Lift
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 5:25 pm

» LED Headlights
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» 2003 ABS Silverwing re fresh
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» 2003 ABS info on recall work
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Fri Oct 25, 2024 5:00 am

» Handlebar Holder Recall
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?

Go down 
+12
cello33
"Hi Yo"
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
Dale N.
GHM-PM
Mech 1 twa
Meldrew
Sepp
Osprey
Sknrdtec
Delray
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? Empty
PostSubject: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 11:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwaXjtRybhI

Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 3:39 pm

No man would ever be allowed to ride on the back of any of my scoot's ,,,,Not even holding a gas can . But , if you're going to be playing a trombone ,, well then
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2019 1:35 pm

I just had a massive belly laugh!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 7:44 pm

The easiest way to beef up the sound is done automatic.
Every time you remove and reinstall the exhaust (if you need a new rear tire) the carbon composite seal ring is a bit more damaged, also the exhaust pipe will start to corrode over the years and adding to damaging the seal even more.
The more the seal ring gets worn, the louder you exhaust gets, since some of the gasses escape through the damaged ring - with it noise also.
You will notice that more as the rpm passes 5000, especially up the mountains.

Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? Ex110
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? Ex210
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4214
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 4:51 am

I've always found it strange that some bike and scooter owners like noisy exhausts. The wind noise generated inside your helmet is already damaging your hearing unless you have a decent helmet and well fitting ear plugs.

So what's the point of adding more noise and decibels. If your helmet and earplugs are working you won't be hearing it that much anyway. The 'loud pipes saves lives' argument is nonsense, and loud exhausts just piss people off generally.

There was a load of Trad scooters turned up at Zeebrugge Ferry Terminal while I was there a few months ago, and some of them were making an appalling noise with aftermarket cans and exhausts, especially the two-strokes.

If they'd been the 'L' plated teenage cretins that plague every UK town and city playing throttle jockeys at traffic lights, I might have put it down to ignorance. But most of these Trad riders were middle aged and older.

The cacophony started again when we disembarked back at Hull the next morning and it took forever to get through UK Border and Immigration, even the official checking my passport was fed up with the racket and fumes from these Quadrophenia throw backs.

Then there's the loud pipe morons on sports bikes who you can hear going up through the gears when you're at home and they're probably half a mile away. The open pipe HD bad ass crowd and all the others. You're drawn to them by the totally unnecessary and annoying exhaust noise they're making.

I can’t be they only one that hears it and thinks 'wanker'!   Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 7:46 am

Gee Wiz dudes.  just laugh! dancerwithmusic   chickendance  motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 7:33 pm

nah, South Park has just the right episode for that

The F Word Season 13 | Episode 12
you will also learn about Bikecurious
...and you will see how to mount little American flags on a seat.

enjoy
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 8:51 pm

A must see South Park episode if you are not a Harley fan...    It's funny in so many waaays.
All in humor. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2614
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 8:03 am

I am with Meldrew on this one... Noisy bikes just draw attention to yourself and piss off people. In fact in California the Highway Patrol can and will stop you and give you a fix-it ticket... Ask me how I know this LOL

I ride with loads of Harley riders amd they seem especially prone to this malady. So much so that I know some that spend nearly 30K USD for a H-D and then take off stock mufflers and put on straight pipes! It certainly isn't done for power as I never met a Harley that I could not dust on my Goldwing and still idle it in church, haha.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 1:53 pm

"I ride with loads of Harley riders amd they seem especially prone to this malady."

Every weekend, there is a steady parade of upscale guys who ride on A1A along the ocean on enormous, shiny Harleys with do-tags and leather vests to show what bad boys they are when they're away from their big suburban homes. I call them "look at me" bikes. There's no serious riding going on (the speed limit on A1A is 35 mph). If I were a cop, I would ticket them all. The charge? "Being way too full of yourself."
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 6:24 pm

Good One SEP.  The rumble mouths really do the trick guitarist

For the serious part of the discussion, I don't care for loud exhaust either gang.  It is extremely annoying.  

What I can't fathom is how anyone would want to go deaf so quickly.  Must happen almost overnight with the ping pong action rumbles up inside the "brainpan" helmet wearers.  Probably why so many Harley riders don't wear helmets . . .

I am rather enjoying the jokes here.  What would we have to say if Harley owners didn't modify their bikes.  jocolor
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1997
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 9:47 pm

Back when I was driving truck it was just before dawn and barely starting to get light. I was listening to the radio minding my own business when all of a sudden this Harley came flying past me. It was so loud it made me jump. I could still hear him over a mile up the road when he'd accelerate even with the rest of the traffic. I have a bit of hearing loss from my days on the ship in the Navy but the big guns weren't even that loud and continuous.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4415
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 11:05 pm

Gee, Dale, that you didn’t hit him or run him off the road proves his point that loud pipes do save lives. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 11:39 pm

I tried but my semi wasn't fast enough to catch up to him. 😅😩
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 6:50 am

what would happen if Harley brought out an e-bike?
number 1 add on: audio "exhaust sound" sound system with extra strong sub woofer?
Rage
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2614
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 7:14 am

Sepp wrote:
number 1 add on: audio "exhaust sound" sound system with extra strong sub woofer?

Haha great idea Sepp! Not expecting H-D to EVER come out with a quiet e-bike however.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1935
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 9:23 am

GHM-PM wrote:
Sepp wrote:

Haha great idea Sepp! Not expecting H-D to EVER come out with a quiet e-bike however.

The lightweight EV concept is designed for an urban future. It’s easy to ride - with no clutch and no shifting. A cutting-edge commuter, this concept will unlock the city with clarity and convenience, in a style grounded in H-D design philosophies.

The middleweight EV concept bridges our EV technology to our rich history of racing and the legendary XR750. As the ultimate city bike, high-performance run-about or next-gen short tracker, this is H-D's vision of EV for the quick and competitive.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Sepp wrote:

I saw the Livewire at the Progressive motorcycle show in Dallas last weekend. It sounded like a giant sewing machine.

I don't have an extension cord long enough to charge it.   Smile
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 6:42 pm

chickendance chickendance just wear a solar panel, or better yet clothes that have solar charging capability, who knows what they will come up with. Oh was that a 2 or 4 cyl. sewing machine Smile
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 7:16 pm

Livewire sounds like a downed power pole. At 30K they will be selling a lot of those. Why? I guess just because they can. I don't see a market for it but what do I know.

It's pretty fast 0-60 but range is the question. Local taverns will have to install some fast chargers. Smile

Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 4:35 am

Loud pipes definately helps you get noticed, not a fan of loud pipes for the sake of it but I have heard the rumble of a twin while driving and then saw the bike in my mirrors.

Each to their own but we all risk everything when we take to the roads on two wheels and need every bit of safety equipment to stay alive. I have a GSXR titanium end can that makes a lovely rumble on the swing and wont be changing it anytime soon.

The time when bikes were a pain has changed now to w*nkers in cars young and old wheel spining , loud exhasts who razz around in built up areas not giving two f***s about the damage they can do moving two tons of steel in a cinfined space when they lose control or misjudge things. Yup wank*rs indeed !
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4214
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 6:18 am

Loud pipes may help you get noticed, but it's not in a positive way. It's basically 'Look at me, I have this  bike/car and I've junked the stock exhaust and put this put this noisy one on, and being honest I only fitted it to compensate for having a tiny todger'. Smile
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 2:58 pm

My main gripe with loud exhausts is being woken up at stupid'o'clock on a Sunday morning by the early birds. I confess, on a nice morning it's a great time for a ride. It starts with the Harleys which have to stop to give way at the junction on the main road (at idle) the noise from which thumps through my pillow.

When he's gone and I'm about to get back to my slumber, the Moto3 replica comes screaming through the village at full chat and I can hear the screaming long after he's gone, I actually started counting the gear changes as he fades away. This goes on for hours.

Apart from all that, simply changing an exhaust without re-tuning certain parts of the engine can lead to internal damage, engine aspiration is a precise science. So there ! cat
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Loud pipes may help you get noticed, but it's not in a positive way. It's basically 'Look at me, I have this  bike/car and I've junked the stock exhaust and put this put this noisy one on, and being honest I only fitted it to compensate for having a tiny todger'. Smile
Couldn't agree more, and I think if I wanted something that sounded like a tractor, I'd buy a tractor! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Loud pipes really don't save lives.   Common sense does. Dont ride in a cars blind spot, position yourself so you can be seen.  Not always easy with traffic but don't tailgate try to keep a safe space.

I tried some loud mufflers on 1999 Honda Magna 750 V4 didn't like them for long.   Sold them after a few months did nothing for speed or fuel mileage.  It was my first faster bike and rode it for three years and 21k  water pump started leaking. Went to dealer to buy some parts and left with a 2003 Yamaha FZ-1 1000CC 4  now that was fast.  I put 9k on that bike in four months a good summer.  

Common sense and seat time.    Do we ever grow up? NAHHH.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 am

One of the things I liked about the Goldwings I've owned was the lack of noise at highway speed. Hardly any engine sound at 70mph, just the noise of the wind. No vibration either. On my last GW if I wanted noise I could hit my two airhorns. They were LOUD. Interesting hooking up the airhorns in parallel with the original electric horns. If you just gave the horn button a short 'toot' there was only the weak electric horn. Hold the button down a few more seconds and the sound was the air horns sounding like a semi truck. It worked because the air horns had a slight one second lag building up air pressure before they sounded. No ready to go compressed air tank like those on a truck. Made polite 'toots' or a full throated blast, whatever the occasion required.
Back to top Go down
Lenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2020 6:34 am

The main admirer of a loud exhaust is the old lady walking her dog that you've just passed. 🙂
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2020 11:40 pm

When I was a kid I thought loud exhaust was cool. Now that I'm 73 and have hearing loss from my Navy days I prefer a quieter exhaust. A quieter exhaust also makes it easier to hear my 50s and 60s sounds coming from my speakers on my top box.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 am

Dale N. wrote:
When I was a kid I thought loud exhaust was cool. Now that I'm 73 and have hearing loss from my Navy days I prefer a quieter exhaust. A quieter exhaust also makes it easier to hear my 50s and 60s sounds coming from my speakers on my top box.

Oh Dale that sounds SO familiar Smile but no radio, I-Pad sounds nor noise on mine. I no longer wear ear buds to hear tunes when mowing the grass, those were replaced by ear plugs, the same when I ride. I'm doing my best to preserve what hearing I have.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2020 9:05 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Dale N. wrote:

Oh Dale that sounds SO familiar Smile but no radio, I-Pad sounds nor noise on mine. I no longer wear ear buds to hear tunes when mowing the grass, those were replaced by ear plugs, the same when I ride. I'm doing my best to preserve what hearing I have.  

I know what you mean. The hearing aids I wear cut down on the wind and exhaust noise a lot. I always wear a helmet when riding which helps also. I don't have my tunes up so loud that it's blaring and ticking people off but I can hear them.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?   Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2020 9:42 pm

Dale N. wrote:
oldwingguy wrote:
Dale N. wrote:

I know what you mean. The hearing aids I wear cut down on the wind and exhaust noise a lot. I always wear a helmet when riding which helps also. I don't have my tunes up so loud that it's blaring and ticking people off but I can hear them.

I did wear them but quit after I lost one taking my helmet off Sad It depends on the range ones loss is in, I do fine without them and with the plugs in. This new pair can be " plugs " but they will go in a case when I ride to much $$$$$$$$$$$$ invested to lose even one. No matter what method one uses it's got to be the one that works for them.
Back to top Go down

Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?
Page 1 of 1