Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hw do I soften the suspension?
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 17:49

» Dr Pulley 26g weights
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 17:27

Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby Michel Vachon Today at 16:28

» Over The Moors And Far Away!
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 15:14

» Techron in my tank
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Today at 06:40

» For Sale: Service Manual (Print Version)
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby gustav Today at 00:55

» That annoying stator wire oil leak
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby Sknrdtec Yesterday at 01:57

» Wax-Fast idle valve.
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 00:34

» Service manual
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby josephthediviner Sun 12 Jul 2020, 06:16

» New to the forum
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeby Chesterman Sun 12 Jul 2020, 03:20

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Unidentified nut fell off during oil change

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dan Average
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-12-25

Unidentified nut fell off during oil change Empty
PostSubject: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Dec 2019, 21:03

Today I started on an oil change for my 2008 FSC600D. I was in the middle of loosening the old filter when a nut fell down from the undercarriage. I couldn't tell where it came from and I don't see it in the part schematics I've consulted, though it's possible I'm overlooking it. One oddity is that the nut is immaculately clean even though the undercarriage (and, alas, the scooter itself) is pretty dirty. I'm wondering if it might just be a piece that somehow got picked up on the road and was knocked loose in the course of my work, but that feels too good to be true and in any case I want to be sure. I've attached some photos of the nut. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change AttachmentIMG_6535.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(275 Kb) Downloaded 55 times
Unidentified nut fell off during oil change AttachmentIMG_6536.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(246 Kb) Downloaded 30 times
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Dec 2019, 22:50

Those are typically used to hold plastic panels in place and are usually accompanied by a sleeve or bushing that is inserted thru the oversize hole in the plastic. The sleeve allows the nut to be tightened securely without compressing the plastic and preventing it from moving slightly during temperature swings. It also keeps from compressing and breaking the plastic. I own a Silverwing, Reflex, and Helix (sold a Honda Spree) and have seen those nut a lot of times. I seem to recall them being used on the exhaust studs of one of the scooters as well. I'm guessing the Silverwing would use a larger nut on the exhaust and that nut shows no sign of being heated. I would look into the air cleaner and muffler "chamber" for the air cleaner system. The 6mm variety (uses 10mm wrench) are all over on the body panels of the Spree, but I can't place them on the Silverwing at the moment. All my Hondas are in storage for the winter away from my house. I only have my antique Salsbury and total-electric R Martin scooters here right now - and I rode them both today.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Easyrider

Number of posts : 912
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Dec 2019, 00:53

By the looks of the nut, I have not seen any nut like that on my Swing. I have seen similar caps on lug nuts for cars and trucks. You probably picked it up from the road.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Dec 2019, 06:46

Looks like exhaust header nut to me bud
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Dec 2019, 09:23

The Bern wrote:

As said nice and clean no sign of getting hot, if you are the 2nd owner or more it might be a where did that nut go as they heard the " clink " of it disappearing to places unknown, now you know.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Dec 2019, 20:13

The Bern wrote:

The Bern is right.  Found some on Ebay exact nut and they are a little rusty but no signs of heat.

Quality of older Honda parts is impressive. Newer stuff.  Suspect

Found a rock or two in lowers but anything can disappear if dropped.Unidentified nut fell off during oil change Ted_s_10

Here is a nice photo of a rock wedged between sub-frame and transmission of a 2002 Accord.. It was tight and took a large prybar and carefully placed piece of wood not to split the trans. case.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Dec 2019, 12:14

The only part of my SW which I haven't 'touched' is the engine. I haven't come across anything like that during all my dismantling/reassembling work. Check the parts manual. It does seem rather shiny for an exhaust nut though!
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Dec 2019, 15:17

Loosemarbles wrote:
..//.. It does seem rather shiny for an exhaust nut though!

Oh ye of little faith, some of us 'old hands' like to fit long dome nuts so that there is no exposed thread on the stud to get corroded .......  

https://www.bertrumsbikebits.co.uk/product/honda-yamaha-kawasaki-suzuki-m6-m-6-chrome-exhaust-dome-nuts-set-of-2/
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Dec 2019, 17:37

I have to agree with Easyrider, that looks like a wheel lug nut. If it's 3/4" outside diameter then it is a lug nut.
Back to top Go down
Dan Average
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeSat 28 Dec 2019, 14:47

Thanks for all the replies! It was indeed part of the exhaust system, one of four identical nuts holding the manifold. I was able to find where it belongs and (despite a very tight fit) get it back in place. It looks like the previous owner might've run into the same problem, since one of the four nuts had been replaced by a more conventional capless variety.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeSat 28 Dec 2019, 20:07

Wonder how long it was where you found found after it came off, or was dropped.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2586
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeSun 29 Dec 2019, 23:19

Odd, I've never heard a cap nut called a dome nut. Might be a transatlantic thing.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified nut fell off during oil change   Unidentified nut fell off during oil change I_icon_minitimeMon 30 Dec 2019, 05:21

exhaust front pipe nut thats what it is
Back to top Go down

Unidentified nut fell off during oil change
Page 1 of 1