Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda shop maintenance

Go down 
+8
Dibber
GHM-PM
Mech 1 twa
Easyrider
john grinsel
Jim Caudill
oldwingguy
exavid
12 posters
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Honda shop maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 3:00 am

I was wondering if any of you SW owners have a Honda shop that will do maintenance work on your Silver Wing.

The Honda shop here is a big one but they wouldn't work on my Goldwing once it was ten years old even though there really wasn't and difference in it from a nine year old one which they would work on.

It seems to be some kind of Honda policy not to work on a bike over ten years old. I don't know if that's a policy in all Honda shops but I found at least two of them that wouldn't work on an eleven year old Goldwing.

Lucky for me I do most all the maintenance on my bikes but I was wondering if anyone else ran into that refusal.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 7:22 am

Back in the day when I still had mine yes.
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Not only is it true for motorcycle dealers, many RV dealers practice the same policy. There are also campgrounds that will not let RV's over 10 years old stay in their park. For the motorcycles, I think the idea is that after 10 years there are age-related and corrosion issues that increase the time for repairs. The mechanics work on flat-rate labor schedules, so this makes it harder for them to earn money and throws off the scheduling of work. It is their business and their choice. I make my choice not to patronize such dealerships. I know of several independent shops that seem to provide quality work at a fair price. I do a lot of my own work, but when special equipment is needed or I'm not up to it, I take to a shop.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 3:48 pm

It's still rather irritating when one GL1800 is 11 years old and they won't work on it while they'll happily take in a 10 year old GL1800 that is exactly the same.

I'm not surprised though the Honda shop here sells motorcycles but they're more interested in selling quads and such than motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 5:07 pm

I see reason for not taking in old/older bikes----by the time they are 10 years old or older, they have probably had many owners---tackle box tech installed stuff and mechs have to work around this to get at the problem for today....all this takes time and money.....then there are the owner complaints on charges. I prefer to ride new bikes covered under warranty, ride them and leave alone....and never use dealer for service, only warranty. Might even be cheaper in the long run, when you ride a lot.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 6:23 pm

John,
I have a 2013 and have made a lot of modifications within the first few months of ownership. I have neverĀ  had any problems with the local dealership working on my bike. It was purchased from a different dealership.

I guess I am lucky that my bike is only six years old.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 7:40 pm

That's sad. Dealers won't work on older bikes. Not a Honda policy just dealer. Older stuff is harder rusted things and such BUT still a good profit to be made. Might be some kind of liability problem with their insurance dealer. ?? I'm just guessing on that.

A lot of shops have a high turnover rate with Techs. and many may not be familiar with older stuff. ??
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Mine is a 2012 so this has not been an issue...yet. Others have mentioned it however. When I bought my Silver Wing my intention was to do all work and maintenance at the dealer, did not want to mess with all the tupperware etc. But taking the scoot over 50 miles for an oil change gets old and with the help of this forum I have done most of my own work. Oil change/ final drive is a snap. Air filter is not for the faint of heart but with the pictorial Jeff has on here I did it. Plugs are not a big deal and since I used Iridium plugs will probably never need them again. Drained and flushed the coolant also.

I do draw the line at tires, the dealer can do that and I will happily pay them to. If I buy the tires from them they will install them free so that works.
Back to top Go down
Dibber
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dibber

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 6:33 am

I find it helps to take pictures as I start to work on any scooter. It help during reassembling time. Wheel removal is quite easy, but then if your dealer does it free is hard to pass on.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 12:31 pm

There are a few jobs I don't mind farming out. Mostly replacing tires. It's somewhat annoying when a dealer will sell you a tire and won't install it because the bike is past ten years old.
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 11:34 pm

My local Honda shop doesn't care about age, they have worked on my 2001, both 2007s, 2014 and 2018 Honda
scooters without question.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 1:34 pm

This, from Jim Caudill above. " I know of several independent shops that seem to provide quality work at a fair price."

Independent dealer says it well. Here in Tucson we have Musselmans Honda. They have been exclusively Honda since 1959. Rates are fair, work is well done and generally if it is a Honda and has been maintained they will take it for repairs.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Greysilver, I also live in Tucson and heard Musselmans has good ratings. Ridenow on 22nd will never touch my Swing after a piss poor front tire mount. Where about Tucson do you live? I'm at Irvington and Harrison.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Honda shop maintenance   Honda shop maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 4:13 pm

My tuppence worth. When I bought my SW I thought I would let the local Honda shop do any work needed so I sent it for an oil and filter change. Two days later I noticed a water leak near the oil filter from that little hose which goes around it. They had obviously disturbed the hoses and I ended up replacing the all the small hoses in that area. On another occasion they put my new front tyre on the wrong way round....for heaven's sake!

Since then I have done my own repairs and maintenance (like the old days). I like to know when I'm riding that everything is as it should be. I've never tried using an independant repair shop because I don't like anybody touching my bike. I suppose I should have more faith but it would mean experimenting with various workshops until I find one which I could trust. Like a lot of us 'oldies', I find it difficult grovelling around on a cold garage floor but I feel safer doing that.

I have found a good tyre shop locally who seem to know what they're doing and are very helpful and accommodating although I still remove the wheel myself and just get them to fit the tyre.

It's a minefield out there!
Back to top Go down

Honda shop maintenance
Page 1 of 1