Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Swapping out the front forks

Go down 
+3
Mech 1 twa
exavid
freddyblue
7 posters
AuthorMessage
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2019-07-04

Swapping out the front forks Empty
PostSubject: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Freddyblue from SF here again. Need to replace front suspension. Got two used forks on eBay. Shop wants $250 to $300 just to swap them out.
Wondering how hard to do it myself with a friend. He has mechanical smarts and any necessary tools. Any words of wisdom or caution? Would someone please advise time involved and level of difficulty. Thanks again Silver heads!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Shouldn't be too difficult but I would want a service manual to make it easier to reinstall everything afterwards. The main thing is re-installation with proper torque settings. If you don't have a torque wrench Harbor Freight sells them very inexpensively. The fork of the Silverwing is simpler than a motorcycle with a "triple tree".
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Thank you very much. I am hoping also to hear from someone who has done it before. Have a great evening
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 9:01 pm

It's not difficult just not much room under there to access the upper fork bolts. Turn left-right to get tools in there. Change the oil in new forks and all should be good. 3/8 torque wrench and short sockets will work. Search fork here that should help with questions. Add proper oil and level to forks it will improve the ride. REC. a 15W oil.
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 11:54 pm

Sorry to be so inept, but the forks I acquired seem to have plenty of action left and the seals are good. What is the time and expense of changing the oil. What else do I need besides a seals kit.
Sorry to sound like a big whiner, but I don't have any extra money right now.
Thanks to all that have chimed in.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 4:24 am

freddyblue wrote:
I am hoping also to hear from someone who has done it before.

Have a read of this thread bud .............

https://www.silverwing600.com/t10477-fitting-hyperpro-front-springs?highlight=hyperpro
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 7:22 am

The Bern's link is spot on

But if you need to "see" how it's done here are some videos of the legendary Stefano Bonacasa having at the task. Unfortunately you'll either need to understand Italian or use your imagination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GhFciyLpOA&t=826s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-Vgvpcx50&t=87s

And one more:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yBAEVGaCnCY
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 am

The top bolts on the clamp needs to come out completely because the forks have a "groove" in them that sets the amount of fork that goes through the triple clamp.
You won't be able to get the top bolt back in until the bolt itself aligns with this groove, think cotter pin type arrangement.

Check the steering head bearing whilst the forks are out, make sure there's no "dead spot self centering" action going on.

It's quite easy to do, wheel off, fender off, brake caliper off, pipe brackets off, undo the 4 bolts in the top of the clamp and you may need to slightly ease the clamp with a screwdriver to get them to release the fork, but don't go hammering cold chisels in there, a reasonable "Chippy" type screwdriver will do the trick, a couple of taps with a 1.5 lb ball pein hammer on the end is more than enough.
And simply reassemble in reverse of how they came out.

Changing the oil:

Change the oil simply because they are off and it's an easy job. The old oil will either resemble brake fluid in how thin it is, or will be grey and very smelly. 300ml, 300cc is the amount that goes back in, it's worth it in the long term. I use ATF as fork oil as it has a little bit of "multi grade" ability so the forks don't go solid when the weather is cold.
Take the 22mm nut out the top, it will "spring" out as there is a spacer pre-loading the spring. Take the spacer out, take the washer on top of the spring out, take note of the spring design, there are closer coils at one end and the spring needs to go back in the same way as it comes out, invert the fork, work it through it's full range of action to pump all the oil out of the damper valves, if you really want to do it right, put a bit of clean replacement oil in there and work the action again, dump that oil, be amazed at how filthy it is... Leave the forks to drain for a few minutes whilst you have a drink of your favourite beverage, then put your new oil of choice back in. Again work the action to "prime" the shock absorbing valves, insert spring, washer and spacer, screw the cap back on, again it will be under pressure so if you have access to a Black and Decker workmate or some such, hold the damper leg in that whilst you push the cap on and turn the damper rod instead of trying to screw the cap on. Works for me.
Then put the leg on the floor and "pump it" like a pogo stick it should move fairly free until your weight compresses it as far as it can, this final pump is to check it doesn't go "solid" through it's movement, which can happen if you over fill the oil
Hope this helps, it sounds a lot harder than it is.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 am

Getting the legs out of the clamps/tree is easy, to get the tree off the scooter to replace/grease the bearings is a bit involved but not to hard. Now if your just putting in new fork oil, thats easy. If you have to open the forks up for a new seal or something else that requires them to be gone into-thats a terrible job! There is no way to lock the inner piston in place, so a shop quality impact is required, a HUGE hammer and lots of frustration. My local Honda shop offered to rebuild the fork legs for $125 in labor. I should have let them do it but Im stubborn and eventually got 'er done. Just be ready to say creative curse words if you tackle seals and such!
Back to top Go down
freddyblue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 10:47 am

Just want to say thanks for all the info, time
and help you have all provided. Way beyond the call of duty!
Truly great to have a pit crew
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swapping out the front forks   Swapping out the front forks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swapping out the front forks
Page 1 of 1