Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My journey AWAY from the SilverWing

Go down 
+2
Mech 1 twa
Sirkitrider
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sirkitrider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-06-24

My journey AWAY from the SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: My journey AWAY from the SilverWing   My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 9:15 pm

https://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650-2002-thru-2012/170577-sold-silverwing-back-burgman.html

thanks for everything … ride on.

Sirkitrider
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: My journey AWAY from the SilverWing   My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Still on two wheels. Enjoy new ride. Ride On. thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: My journey AWAY from the SilverWing   My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Geez, you got me all whimsical for my '13 Burgman 650 for a minute.

You're right. Smooth as silk. I miss the sound of the CVT; it sounds like a commercial jet. I miss the rock-solid, sure-footed feeling on the highway.

But all that weight, lugging it around the garage or a parking lot. The bathtub-like handling at slow speeds. Needing pencil-like arms and hands the size of a squirrel's to get behind the radiator to change plugs and coolant. And, of course, the dread spectre of belt failure that will cost more than the bike to repair.

Nah, I'll stick with my Silver Wing. But I hope you enjoy the heck out of your big Burgman.

My journey AWAY from the SilverWing Burgma10
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: My journey AWAY from the SilverWing   My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 8:03 am

Sorry to see you go but I sympathize . Personally I don't understand your vibration problems... I have owned motorcycles since 1969 and my SWing is the 2nd most vibration free one of the lot. Obviously the GL1800 came in first. Mine had a vibration point at about 35 mph; not bad but noticeable, replacing the rollers with sliders lessened this problem. I agree the Burgie 650 is a bit smoother but oh the weight. Same reason I finally got rid of the Goldwing. Nothing better on the highway but around town give me the Silver Wing any day...

Good luck with your Burgman!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: My journey AWAY from the SilverWing   My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 8:22 am

My journey away was simple enough, boredom. I'd started to get bored with my Silver Wing after about five years ownership. There was nothing wrong with it, I knew it was a very capable Euro tourer solo or two up, I hadn’t gone mad adding unnecessary add on junk, and mechanically and cosmetically it was in great condition for a eight year old bike when I traded it in. It was easily capable of giving another eight years trouble free service to it's new owner. I"d had it from new and by then I'd done everything I wanted to do on a Silver Wing.

I'd initially considered a three wheeler. I didn’t really want a Piaggio MP3, Quadro sadly couldn't get their UK dealership organised, and the Peugeot Metropolis was in the running for a long time until I lost interest and went back to looking at alternative maxi scooters.

I didn't want another lardass Burgman 650 or the newer 400 Burgman either, and to my frustration the SYM Joymax 300 and Cruisym 300 were never in any of the dealers I visited over a six month period. 

What Kymco are up to is still a mystery, the new BMW 400 still wasn't in the showrooms or part of their demo road show, and I've never had any interest in Vespa's, other Trad style scooters, or current big wheel scooters. 

I had a demo ride on the Yamaha XMax 300, it had a lot going for it although the high seat height and brick like back stop spoiled it for me. I didn’t have a chance of a night ride either, as the droopy eyes LED headlights have been criticised by owners as being piss poor.

So that led me to the new 2018 for 2019 Honda Forza 300, a maxi scooter just coming into Honda showrooms and one I really hadn't considered before.  So I went and had a look at one, liked that it was lighter and bang up to date. So I enquired about a trade in deal for the Silver Wing, ordered one in blue, and went on a Mediterranean cruise for a couple of weeks.

Then when I got home I removed the Airflow and some other bits to return the Silver Wing to OE trim, and rode over to West Yorkshire to trade it in for the Forza.

I haven’t regretted that decision one bit.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My journey AWAY from the SilverWing   My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 am

This year instead of Kymco XTown 300I ABS, I would have bought Honda Forza....if it was available in the US market. After 2 new SilverWings and well over 90,000 miles, they were getting a little heavy for me......and I like to ride new machines.

So far Kymco at 7500 miles is fine---probably easier to work on than SilverWing, has some nice unique features....and price @$4200. Maybe a little low geared---=high revs at highway speed....but who cares it has 2 yr warranty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My journey AWAY from the SilverWing   My journey AWAY from the SilverWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My journey AWAY from the SilverWing
Page 1 of 1