Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Detrimental effects of Copper Grease

Go down 
+2
The Bern
Lost it
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

Detrimental effects of Copper Grease Empty
PostSubject: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2019 3:47 am

[Edit: Re axle nut coming loose]
[Edit] Continued from My Journey to the Silverwing post

Well, I took it all apart yesterday. To get to the bottom of it. Exhaust off, swing arm off, along with calipers, wheel off, and what did I find?

Basically some fool had smothered everything thing with copper grease. Now why there's such an atraction to this stuff I'll never know.

It's only purpose is to act as an anti seize paste. It does this by introducing small balls of copper between any surfaces to prevent them actually "mating" together. That's all it ever has done. It's not a lubricant, it will swifly wear any surfaces that "work" together to a state where they will eventually wear each other out.

For instance Splines on drive shafts... It's quite capable of taking a spline off a drive shaft or the wheel it fits into given time.

It will soak through the backs of brake pads because it has no resistance to heat. So you put it anywhere near brakes and it will finish up on the disc eventually. Or even worse on the wheels.
If you put it on threads THAT HAVE SIMMONS NUTS ON THEM the locking ring of nylon will not work.
It will basically ruin anything it comes into contact with because it's an abrasive, not a grease. If you use it on calipers, it will very soon swell the sliding pin seals that stop dirt preventing the pins from working. If you put it ON the sliding pins it will eventually wear the female part of the sliding assembly and chattering/sticking calipers are next.

I used god knows how many rags, I did use a full can of brake cleaner. There is noticeable play in the rear wheel now, fore and aft, so it never be quiet. And it's now correctly lubed with CV boot grease.
The reason I missed it on the Simmons nut before was because I cleaned the thread on the drive shaft, but didn't soak the nut. Anyway, it's so stuffed the nylon insert that I do need the new one I've ordered.
So it's all spotless, I have new pads so I can clean the caliper off. The disc has been wire brushed and cleaned, the hand brake pads have been soaked in brake cleaner but need to be renewed as you can never completely remove the stuff once it's in the pad.
And I'm confident that once the new nut comes it will do the job it's meant to do.
The spacers are all present and correct. Everything is clean bar the hand brake pads. Just need that new nut now.  
And copper grease should be taken off the shelves.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 6:57 am

applause Well written bud, I can't think how long I've been telling friends &/or customers when I worked in a garage much the same thing, molybdenum grease is far superior in most circumstance applause
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 7:10 am

Yes, the Honda stuff if anything was all I ever used, like Brylecreem " a little dab will do ya " don't slobber it on.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2019 9:02 am

IIRC a dab of copper grease on the back of brake pads was supposed to help stop brake squeal.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1553
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2019 12:49 pm

I must confess, I've always put a smear of copper ease onto the rear of my brake pads but I won't bother in future. On reflection of Lost it's comments I reckon a dab of general purpose grease would do the job if required. If not, I won't bother putting anything on there.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2019 12:56 pm

IIRC a dab of copper grease on the back of brake pads was supposed to help stop brake squeal.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2019 3:10 pm

The pads should have a backing that prevents this. Either a metal backing pad or a section of some kind of covering.
Copper grease used to be responsible for sticking brakes as it attacked the neoprene seals over the pistons, swelling the weather seal so the pads didn't ease back properly when you let the brakes off..

Reb Rubber brake grease is the stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2019 8:21 pm

The Bern wrote:
applause Well written bud, I can't think how long I've been telling friends &/or customers when I worked in a garage much the same thing, molybdenum grease is far superior in most circumstance applause

A little dab will do. So true. Moly between shim and pad. Honda has been using this for years and still does. If you buy a set of AUTO . pads from Honda dealer it will have a small packet of Moly grease in box.

Petroleum grease on any rubber part will make it swell and stick slides sooner or later.
No Moly on slides. Dielectric grease works great high temps and no rubber swell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Detrimental effects of Copper Grease   Detrimental effects of Copper Grease I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Detrimental effects of Copper Grease
Page 1 of 1